Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faith Healers

Options
  • 29-04-2011 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

Another great show from Derren Brown. Quick summary of the show

With the cameras in hot pursuit, Derren faces his toughest project yet, going in search of an unsuspecting member of the British public prepared to adopt the guise of a pastor and miracle worker.

His chosen one then has six months to learn the trade and flourish across the pond as a convincing pastor.

The final phase of the volunteer's extraordinary challenge sees them attempt to perform faith healing miracles live in Texas, but will Derren's new recruit be accepted as a faith healer or cast away as fake healer?

Is the belief in divine intervention really justified, or will Derren expose the industry as one giant hoax

there are some gullible gullible people in this world

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

A real faith healer is not supposed to charge big sums of money from common masses since it is natural gift to them to help the humanity get through bad life.

I don't get why I can't watch the above given video in my region.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Thats what they do though unfortunately, pray on the masses who are desperate for a cure or answer with whom are more than willing to stump up large sums of money.

Look at the amount of people in this video falling hook, line and sinker, its unbelievable

Strange you can't watch the link as its well worth it, try through here maybe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnc-5Ci6vY

or

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#3182173

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I remember seeing James Randi exposing Peter Popoff. These people are not deluded, but they are con men pure and simple. I'm amazed anyone falls for this obvious fraud. For thats what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

easychair wrote: »
    I remember seeing James Randi exposing Peter Popoff. These people are not deluded, but they are con men pure and simple. I'm amazed anyone falls for this obvious fraud. For thats what it is.

Good shout, I may have a look at some of his video's on youtube, I haven't seen any of his programs as of yet. Always good to add to the collection of charlatan's being exposed..!

Thats what they do though unfortunately, pray on the masses who are desperate for a cure or answer with whom are more than willing to stump up large sums of money.

Look at the amount of people in this video falling hook, line and sinker, its unbelievable

Strange you can't watch the link as its well worth it, try through here maybe
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOnc-5Ci6vY

or

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derren-brown-the-specials/4od#3182173
    Thanks for uploading another video. I can watch this one. I don't get how a psychic can heal physical problems of people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

to be fair, this isnt very paranormal related. Conmen and fraud, yes - paranormal, no. Plus is there no-one else but James Randi and derren brown for 'skeptics' to fall back on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

maccored wrote: »
    to be fair, this isnt very paranormal related. Conmen and fraud, yes - paranormal, no.

How is this not paranormal?
    Lot's of other paranormal practitioners make money, but they aren't conmen?
    Plus is there no-one else but James Randi and derren brown for 'skeptics' to fall back on?

Don't need anyone 'else'. :D

to be fair, this isnt very paranormal related. Conmen and fraud, yes - paranormal, no. Plus is there no-one else but James Randi and derren brown for 'skeptics' to fall back on?

I wonder who the credulous have to "fall back on". Sylvia Brown, perhaps? Doris Stokes?

The world of the credulous is full of people making marvellous claims, but when they try to back them up with actual evidence, I can't think of anyone who can back up their claims with actual evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

meryem wrote: »
    A real faith healer is not supposed to charge big sums of money.... yada yada blah blah

Lol @ "real faith healer".

I'm open to the possibility that some people might have abilities or powers which can help others to heal. I've just never seen any evidence of it, and have seen plenty of charlatans pretend they can do it, such as the phillipine healers.

My father met the C of I Minister for Healing a number of years ago, and afterwards he used to hoot with laughter when he observed that the "minister for healing wears a hearing aid! "

• Advertisement

You have yet to see the real world of faith healing for they don't come with price tag for their services. It comes without any charge and with selfless human service attitude. They are rare and in connection with divine world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Antikythera

You have yet to see the real world of faith healing

You are correct in your supposition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

You have yet to see the real world of faith healing for they don't come with price tag for their services.

No - They have yet to see the real world of faith healing because it does not exist. Show me one scientifically verifiable instance of where faith healing was successful, and I'll eat my own hat.

You have yet to see the real world of faith healing for they don't come with price tag for their services. It comes without any charge and with selfless human service attitude. They are rare and in connection with divine world.

Thats just ridiculous piffle. If there are "real "faith healers, all they have to do is demonstrate, in public, that they have the healing powers they claim (it's not difficult to do), and then imagine the huge amount of good work they can do after that with hundreds and thousands of people flocking to them to be healed. It would save the health service a fortune and just imagine the enormous amount of good they could do on an individual level.

I don't think its at all curious that they don't do that, and they may not be able to prove the claims they make about their own "powers". Its not unlike Sylvia Brown and Doris Stokes, whose claims about their psychic powers were never matched by any evidence, and who rebut any attempt to let anyone independent test them.

This world abounds with con men, and we must all be vigilant against unproven claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Gerry.H

Faith healing is bunk, and the practitioners of that so called art know that very well.

Gerry.H wrote: »
    Faith healing is bunk, and the practitioners of that so called art know that very well.

How do you know what all the practitioners of faith healing know?

I have met people in life who were convinced they were Jesus Christ, and imagine it's possible for some practitioners of faith healing to sincerely believe they have powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Well then I have an offer they won't refuse...
    There is a man who will give them lots of money if they can show their power is real.

(in before Maccord and Oryx)

Well then I have an offer they won't refuse...
    There is a man who will give them lots of money if they can show their power is real.

(in before Maccord and Oryx)

I think James Randi has done us all a great service in highlighting so many who are either fantasists or fraudsters, and in helping us all to think about the claims of many.

In my view faith healing do exists but it will be wrong to equalize oneself with god after having some blessings of his powers.

dlofnep wrote: »
    No - They have yet to see the real world of faith healing because it does not exist. Show me one scientifically verifiable instance of where faith healing was successful, and I'll eat my own hat.
    Unfortunately they don't feel any need to prove themselves scientifically for the reason they don't ask for anything against it either.
    easychair wrote: »
    That's just ridiculous piffle. If there are "real "faith healers, all they have to do is demonstrate, in public, that they have the healing powers they claim (it's not difficult to do), and then imagine the huge amount of good work they can do after that with hundreds and thousands of people flocking to them to be healed. It would save the health service a fortune and just imagine the enormous amount of good they could do on an individual level.

I don't think its at all curious that they don't do that, and they may not be able to prove the claims they make about their own "powers". Its not unlike Sylvia Brown and Doris Stokes, whose claims about their psychic powers were never matched by any evidence, and who rebut any attempt to let anyone independent test them.

This world abounds with con men, and we must all be vigilant against unproven claims.
    They don't feel likewise(demonstration thing in proper sense). But people do get relief from their problems by contacting personally through their personal references. The real problem lie with them is that they live in somewhat seclusion to do their prayer etc. for divinity.

Yes, you are also right that we need to remain vigilant against unproven claims in this crooked world as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement