Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you pay? Detached house in countryside

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

80k max.

Why?

Because that's all it'll be worth in a few years.

As you know, we have probably 20 years of pain ahead of us. Our leaders are total cock ups and will continue ****ing up the country for a long time.
    Always a funny logic to me as you can't apply it to anything else and be called sane. The current market value is really all you can go on. Never hear people suggesting offering the value for a car based on what it will be worth in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Always a funny logic to me as you can't apply it to anything else and be called sane. The current market value is really all you can go on. Never hear people suggesting offering the value for a car based on what it will be worth in a few years.

Very good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

I have a house in North Co Galway, currently rented, half thinking of selling. (about 3 fields in from Mayo). Rents in the Area are about 600/month for a 5 bed house. The house was built in 2001 (so fairly new), and about 230Sqm in size. (Bloody big).

To be honest, it's worth about 175k at the moment. (The only metric I have for worth, is what it would cost to build). There are houses like it in the area ranging from 190K to 300K(!). Some people have yet to get real about prices.

What I have noticed is that there is a glut of houses in the area that are going up for sale incomplete. It looks like people just ran out of money. Some of these are popping up at just over 100K kinda money. Might be worth a look. Places like Headford/Caherlistrane/Belclare are useful to get to both Galway city and South Mayo.

HTH.

Jaden wrote: »
    I have a house in North Co Galway, currently rented, half thinking of selling. (about 3 fields in from Mayo). Rents in the Area are about 600/month for a 5 bed house. The house was built in 2001 (so fairly new), and about 230Sqm in size. (Bloody big).

To be honest, it's worth about 175k at the moment. (The only metric I have for worth, is what it would cost to build). There are houses like it in the area ranging from 190K to 300K(!). Some people have yet to get real about prices.

What I have noticed is that there is a glut of houses in the area that are going up for sale incomplete. It looks like people just ran out of money. Some of these are popping up at just over 100K kinda money. Might be worth a look. Places like Headford/Caherlistrane/Belclare are useful to get to both Galway city and South Mayo.

HTH.

Hi there, I've been looking in the areas you mention, and I've seen exactly what you say, many houses that are incomplete.

I'm thinking though that I'll either buy something complete, or build myself, rather than buying an incomplete house.
    At least if I build myself, I can have things done exactly as I want them rather than having to go through the final stages (hassle) of building/plastering/etc on someone else's incomplete house but having things stuck the way they designed them (if that makes sense).

It's interesting how many houses have been listed on daft for well over 1,000 days, some must be getting closer to 2000, and yet people are still holding out some hope that they'll get the unrealistic price they're looking for, rather than adjusting their selling price and settling for the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mr. 2

Larna wrote: »
    It's interesting how many houses have been listed on daft for well over 1,000 days, some must be getting closer to 2000, and yet people are still holding out some hope that they'll get the unrealistic price they're looking for, rather than adjusting their selling price and settling for the going rate.

I think you'll find most of these old listings are just dead wood that agents can't or won't clear from their books. It's probably time for Daft to update the site to allow buyers exclude older listings.

I know somebody who has their house listed since 2008. When I told them that the advert was still online they laughed and just assumed that the agent took it down as they had no viewings. As far as they were concerned the house was not on the market and they took down the for sale sign.

• Advertisement

Just as a side, the 1000/ Sqm for build/furnish seems a bit steep to me. I would have thought (including site) that 750-800/Sqm would be more the going rate. Certainly looking at building/buying a 2500 Sqft (Sorry, I'm old school at times) house and furnishing it (in this general area) should cost less than 200K. That would be the House completely done, Kerbs, tarmac, Fence all round, groundswork and Stone wall at the front with gates. Decent shed while your at it.

Furnishing a house is cheap, once all the kitchen stuff is in, you'd go a long way with 5-10K.

A for building/buying. Remember that an already built hosue is available now. Whereas building could take a median of about 9-12 months until you move in, including the dreaded planning permission wait, and the ESB not being arsed calling out to collect you. That's a years worth of rent to pay. I'll be honest, having done it (and I knew what I was doing), it can be stressful.

Just as a side, the 1000/ Sqm for build/furnish seems a bit steep to me. I would have thought (including site) that 750-800/Sqm would be more the going rate. Certainly looking at building/buying a 2500 Sqft (Sorry, I'm old school at times) house and furnishing it (in this general area) should cost less than 200K. That would be the House completely done, Kerbs, tarmac, Fence all round, groundswork and Stone wall at the front with gates. Decent shed while your at it.

Furnishing a house is cheap, once all the kitchen stuff is in, you'd go a long way with 5-10K.

A for building/buying. Remember that an already built hosue is available now. Whereas building could take a median of about 9-12 months until you move in, including the dreaded planning permission wait, and the ESB not being arsed calling out to collect you. That's a years worth of rent to pay. I'll be honest, having done it (and I knew what I was doing), it can be stressful.

I'm going to have to talk to more people in this general area about building using sub-contractor - I think that makes a huge difference. If I had time to do it all myself, I'm sure it could be done for a fraction the cost of buying, but I know I'll have to get someone to do all of the work for me.

Every price quote I see online is relevant to Dublin or other big cities. This part of the world could be completely different cost-wise, I have no idea.

I could wait a year before moving in, but I would be concerned I could be looking at 5 or 10 years. I don't even have planning permission so would have to start at the very beginning, seems like a very long process.

And like you say, meanwhile, I'm paying rent all the time, and heating oil in a rented house that I only spend part of my week in while housemates use the oil, there are a range of reasons I want out ASAP of rented accommodation, but if I could be in my own built house in a year's time, I'd live with another year of rent.

I'd have no worries about furnishing costs at all, I already have quite a bit of furniture that would get me by, and then I could improve on interior decor as the years go by and I get some money together again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Property is the biggest purchase you will ever make.

If you buy a property which is worth 100k today but 80k in one year, you will be in negative equity. You cannot sell a property if you are in negative equity unless you first pay off the negative equity.

This is why you have to think ahead when buying property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

The current market value is really all you can go on.

That sounds like the kind of nonsense I hear from estate agents all the time.

Does your job or financial situation have anything to do with selling property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Larna wrote: »
    Quality of land there is a big factor though, sounds like the land is bog rather than quality agricultural land.
    And a lot of people could see the fort as off-putting, a registered historic site that they can never build on or such.

It does sound pretty cheap though, pity it's not south Mayo! :D

good point there...he has six acres of good agricultural land with a few nice streams around and two streams of fresh spring-water and across there is three acres of medow land leading down to the fresh water river and further down the road there is another three acres of turf property which has not been touched ever.

• Advertisement

I dunno, makes sense to me.

If we can agree that previous prices are no guide to value (esp in a bubble), then that's that out the window.

If we can agree that while being able to predict the value of something into the future is useful, it's still an unknown, and not a certainty. While it should have an affect on decisions, it's still a bit fluffy. The future is unknown, that's the way it's always been.

Current market value, ie what the market will currently pay is as good a metric as any. Taken with where things might go, and coupled with one eye on what happened before (if only to ensure it doesn't happen again), is the best you can hope for.

If you don't have to buy, then don't. But that isn't the case for everyone. I personally think that rural property will bottom out first, simply because it will go so low, that waiting for the next years drop, won't be worth paying the extra years rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

peatcass wrote: »
    People are desparate. And there's no light at the end of the tunnel

There is a light but it is the oncoming train. ;)
    JoeyJJ wrote: »
    There was a lot of houses built on Erris peninsula last few years, people thought Shell would have 1000's of people for years however that was only for a couple of years. Now their are lots of properties which are not going to be rented and will probably go on the market.

Might be worth a look and there are some fabulous views down there and beaches too and the locals aren't too bad either.

Jaysus do you know how far and how crap the roads are between where OP is looking and where you are suggesting ?
    Not trying to be a bollox, but is that low compared to 1998 prices or low compared to bubble prices?

I reckon prices are heading for mid 90 to late 90s at least.
    At moment they are circa 2001.
    ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Any more that 100K and you be better of building one to your needs

Now cheaper to buy than build.
    Also remember he will have to build two sheds as well.
    170K to build a 150 sq m home? in mayo?? nono

1000 per sq m would allow you to build AND furnish a home to quite high standards

Ah now, just because you live in Galway. :D
    You also have to remember that any new home would have to follow latest building/county regulations which means plenty of insulation, solar water heating and waste treatment system instead of septic tank
    things that would be missing in 29 year old home

True about insulation, but how many houses from even a few years ago would have solar heating.
    And what was wrong with the old septic tanks ?
    People used to wash and poo before fancy waste treatment plants you know.
    zenno wrote: »
    my uncle is selling his 3 bedroom cottage with a large shed and 12 acres of land for 170,000 4 miles from knock in ballyhaunis. mayo. it has a fairy fort on the land as well, lovely location but there is no broadband only dial-up. there is enough turf on the land to last two lifetimes, alot of money to make on that. though i think thats even cheap for that amount of land and the rest.

Keep quiet about the turf will ya.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I tell ye one thing, if I had the cash I would buy it off him, getting sick of dublin myself. and for the selling prices today I would make a new life for myself there.

well I wish the original poster all the best in finding a good spot to purchase because mayo and surrounding locations is a nice part of ireland to live and be free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Just as a side, the 1000/ Sqm for build/furnish seems a bit steep to me..

Very high standards to build AND furnish, im talking marble/oak floors, good glazing, heat recovery, external works, kitchen etc etc
    to get done to builders finish yes would be cheaper
    jmayo wrote: »
    Ah now, just because you live in Galway. :D

Went the the buying land + incomplete home and finishing it route in galway.
    Quite happy camper now.
    jmayo wrote: »
    True about insulation, but how many houses from even a few years ago would have solar heating.
    And what was wrong with the old septic tanks ?
    People used to wash and poo before fancy waste treatment plants you know.

Nothing wrong with a hole in floor either! :P just saying if building nowadays one needs to follow latest regulations thanks to the Greens which can add at least 10-20K that would have not been required even 10 years ago. The OP needs to keep that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 luap2007

What would you pay? Detached house in countryside

I have a 3 bedroom detached bungalow in the countryside in south County Mayo.

Its very quiet and peaceful.

It is approx 8 miles from 3 different large towns with all amenities. 25 miles from Galway city.

House is located on a quiet road. One house up the road. No-one too close by so lots of privacy.

House size is appoximately 1615 sq feet. Site size is about 3/4 acre if not more.

House overlooks the countryside. House is about 30 years old. 3 bedrooms. 1 bathroom, Family Room, new kitchen, Rewired and re plumbed, drylined and new double glazed windows, energy effiency boiler, ber rated house and well insulated.

Large area around house so lots of parking.

Curtains, light fixtures, cabinets, fridge,all included.

House is ready to be lived in.

Open to offers!!! private mail me if interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

@OP

My earlier estimate needs revision downwards after seeing this > http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=590955

Wow, that is cheap!

At this point it's looking like I'm going down the building route instead, unless something very good value pops up in the right area.

Having my own land exactly where I want it to be, probably makes most sense to just build on it.

It looks cheap alright, until you realise that it actually not.

A quick back-of-napkin calculation to finish this out comes to about 75K-90K and would take 6 months. It''s also a fair bit out from the city, and only 4 bed. There are larger houses, nearer the city available for less than the cost of this one. Furthermore, they're finished.

Now there's some food for thought.

Advertisement