Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

**Spoilers** Series 6, Episode 2 - "Day of the Moon"

• 29-04-2011 11:20am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Part 2 of the series opener, and I'm not sure how it's all going to play out, if I'm honest. As if the Silence are the big-bad of the series, then presumably everything won't be wrapped up into a neat ball by the end of the episode. No doubt loose ends will be left dangling.

Sure we might get some closure on River Song tomorrow. ...
    ... Hahaha... no seriously, here's hoping we do, but I'm not holding my breath.

Anyway, as is custom, have some clip (needless to say, if you've not seen ep1, don't watch!)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I was listening to the Geekbox the other night and apparently there's a rumour going around that Moffat has been seeding the silence all the way through series 5- much more so than we thought.

There's supposed to be several moments where random background characters turn and stare in horror at nothing, very subtly.

I'm trying to track down a list of them as I am not watching the entire series looking out for this :D any one else heard that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

I was listening to the Geekbox the other night and apparently there's a rumour going around that Moffat has been seeding the silence all the way through series 5- much more so than we thought.

There's supposed to be several moments where random background characters turn and stare in horror at nothing, very subtly.

I'm trying to track down a list of them as I am not watching the entire series looking out for this :D any one else heard that?

Here, try this.

I read about this a few days ago but don't have any of the episodes at hand to be able to check it out.

I'd actually noticed the Vampires of Venice one myself. Awesome if it was deliberate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

somebody very kindly has already youtubed them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Jaunte

Urg. Well this has just made the Silence a damn sight creepier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I was planning on watching all of S5 again with the fiancee (who hasn't seen any of it) so I'm going to keep an eye out. Though I would say that several of the ones that are marked not legit in the vid could actually be real. But I'm going to watch the ep before I decide.

-
    edit just to say that this is my 100th post! :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't know how much of that is the silence. I remember the hooded figure behind the Sarcophagi but it didn't move. I think its just a museum at night and they cover up a lot of the statues to protect them from any light and dust.

The Tardis door doesn't close by itself. Rory leans against it.

And in the Beast Below shes left by herself (for the first time I think) on a flying ship. Anybody would be freaked out.

I think if Moffat did seed the silence it would be done a lot better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

What a twist did not expect that kid to be able to regenerate... wonder if amy and the doctor hooked up???

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

Ok where to begin. I now have way more questions than answers after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

confused, I am.

• Advertisement

Dr. WHAT?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

I have no idea what that was! But it was awesome!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Enjoyed that and there's a nice new arc set up as we're set to discover what the daughter is up to.

Some very creepy moments - especially when the Silence hung upside down in the orphanage and the marks appeared on Amy's arms. The touch with the telepathic implants worked well.

And we know now that the set looking like the one in the Lodger is not an oversight. Might hear more on this.

Speculation can begin now: Is it Amy's daughter? I'm guessing it's River Song's daughter, using DNA from the Doctor. Hence the regeneration we saw. Amy is shown holding her only because she just took a picture with the baby - it's a red herring.
    Why does she shoot the Doctor (that time line hasn't been wiped out)? Dunno yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Ok I got home ten minutes late and was watching the recording as it recorded. It finished before the credits. What happened after the homeless man turned round to the girl and said "Are you alright/ok/whatever"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

What.. the.. fuck?!

Decent episode.. with a superb little finish.

Felt terrible for Rory when he overheard Amy's pleas for help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nicowa wrote: »
    Ok I got home ten minutes late and was watching the recording as it recorded. It finished before the credits. What happened after the homeless man turned round to the girl and said "Are you alright/ok/whatever"?
    She said "she's dying" and then she regenerated! ("TimeLord style")

Basq wrote: »
    Speculation can begin now: Is it Amy's daughter? I'm guessing it's River Song's daughter, using DNA from the Doctor. Hence the regeneration we saw. Amy is shown holding her only because she just took a picture with the baby - it's a red herring.
    Why does she shoot the Doctor (that time line hasn't been wiped out)? Dunno yet..

Could well be Song's daughter. There seems to be something missing from the Doctor's past - unless River got her own time lines wrong.

We dont know who shot the Doctor - somebody in a 1960's astronaut's suit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Preferred that one to the first. Kudos on the horror aspect. The time lady? What about his clone daughter whose been out there since tennant had his DrDNA sucked out? Romana back from another dimension, or him and river songs babby? I'm going with the first one myself. Or real freaky? It's the doctor "him"self. AFAIR does a regeneration always have to be gender consistent?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

if the child is river an the doctors wouldn't River recognise her , unless she hasn't the had her , the their time lines are backwards. if Silence been her all along , could they have genetically engineered a time Lord/Lady. Maybe Amy is a Time Lady, ie River and Doctors child , and it was her we saw regenerate ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That was awesome... Shouted "WHAT?" repeatedly at the tv a couple of times over the end credits...
    The Silence were much creepier this week than last week - scarier than the Weeping Angels and they were already pretty damn scary...

Some good season/series arcs set up in this episode - good to see its definitely headed somewhere and Moffat isn't just playing it by ear...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Thought these series openers were a bit disappointing to be honest. They feel more a like a set-up to the series than a story within the series. The story didn't seem very coherent, the Silents were almost unnecessary, and although I like not knowing everything, I think we were left with too many loose ends.

I'm sure it'll all make sense eventually, but honestly I'm glad to be getting a break from Moffat for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Put Spoilers on the thread title as its been screened????

hehehehe...

so random 'must bedreaming' woman is the one I'm most curious, mostly cause it looked like she stole her eyepatch from the set of thor.

Didnt Moffet request they didnt kill of the doctor's soldier clone daughter at the end of the episode so he could use her?

I like how unnusually cruel the doctor's solution was. It wasnt revealing the bad guys or creating a deux ex machina wipe them from history scenario. No he has (somewhat questionably) used mankind as some kind of superweapon. Turning us into his own personal planet of hounddogs who will kill the silence from every corner of the universe for the rest of time. I mean if we keep spreading out like he says and rewatching the moon landing it'll never stop.

Perhaps that will tie in with his death, a full circle amnesty to stop the silence from beign wiped out completely?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Another great episode!

The haunted children's room was very freaky especially with the marks just appearing.

do we know how the little girl got out of the space suit?

i like the theory that the doctor and river song is amy's parents (it would explain why she had no parents in that house although would the doctor or river not remember her? - again cracks?)

I'm convinced the girl is from another timeline, could be amy's daughter as the doctor find out he is and isn't pregnant!

also the girl is obviously from some timelord generation (the re-generation when she dies)

finally i will finish with - since we saw the girl regenerating - does that mean she will take the image of someone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Cookie33 wrote: »
    Another great episode!

The haunted children's room was very freaky especially with the marks just appearing.

do we know how the little girl got out of the space suit?

i like the theory that the doctor and river song is amy's parents (it would explain why she had no parents in that house although would the doctor or river not remember her? - again cracks?)

I'm convinced the girl is from another timeline, could be amy's daughter as the doctor find out he is and isn't pregnant!

also the girl is obviously from some timelord generation (the re-generation when she dies)

finally i will finish with - since we saw the girl regenerating - does that mean she will take the image of someone else?

yup next time we see her she'll be someone else unless she found a way to stop before the body changed

I'm so confused...again o.O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Thanks to facebook I knew there was a twist ending before watching it. That said I did not expect that.

My theory of the little girl being River Song (and Amy being her mother) is out the window now. There's no way River is Amy's daughter and a timelord, even Moffat wouldn't go that far.

As for the picture of Amy with the baby, it doesn't really mean anything other than Amy will encounter the child sometime in her future. What I'm more interested in is why does the TARDIS have a pregnancy scanner?!

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭omniscient_toad

Well they stuck in a line during that episode about the suit being capable of movement without anyone inside, and containing self defense weaponry (the green zzzaaap that kills the doctor). I'm convinced that information is for a later episode given that it was a fairly prominent few seconds with River examining the suit, and bore no relevance to the rest of the episode.

Given that it comes strolling out of a lake in literally the middle of nowhere, doesn't it seem possible it's been programmed (by the doctor himself) to wait there hidden and perform the roll of executioner for this spare doctor (can't have two, temporal paradox everything gets too swirly blahblah etc), it would certainly make sense from his point of view given that this would probably be the one request he can't rely on any of them to perform.

Also, did anyone else find it a little odd that the Doctor decided to whizz off for a spot of fun leaving a mysterious troubled little girl alone and missing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

That was BRILLIANT! A consistently thrilling episode, and one of the scariest I'd say also.

And that ending! Pure brilliance altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Wibbs wrote: »
    AFAIR does a regeneration always have to be gender consistent?

I don't think so no. I seem to remember right after Smith's Doctor regenerated, him commenting on still being a guy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Also, did anyone else find it a little odd that the Doctor decided to whizz off for a spot of fun leaving a mysterious troubled little girl alone and missing?
    Not really, he travels through time. He just needs to show up right when he left and go looking for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I've been reading stuff on the net , and think that may the person that kill the Doctor is Rory, in the space suit. Also i don't the little girl is Jenny the the Doctor daughters as she did not regenerate, she came back to life . The little girl has regenerated before as she knows what is going to happen. Could Amy be a time Lady , with her memories wiped , as the tenth doctor did not recognise the Master might explain why did Tradis crash land in Amy's back garden . Amy is lynch pin if we figure who she is we figure out everything else .

Raphael wrote: »
    Not really, he travels through time. He just needs to show up right when he left and go looking for her.

Couldn't the same logic then be applied to any adventure he's been involved in, why all this frenzied dramatic corridor running (less recently to be fair), there's no rush, he could slip off for a mojito and a stroll on the beach, companion in peril be damned, he'll sort her out later. Pacing and dramatic structure would be some bastard to write with that in mind :p

At any rate, he hasn't previously made a habit of putting damsels/small children in distress on the long finger, and she's apparently wandered down an alleyway and died (to some degree).

mach1982 wrote: »
    I've been reading stuff on the net , and think that may the person that kill the Doctor is Rory, in the space suit. Also i don't the little girl is Jenny the the Doctor daughters as she did not regenerate, she came back to life . The little girl has regenerated before as she knows what is going to happen. Could Amy be a time Lady , with her memories wiped , as the tenth doctor did not recognise the Master might explain why did Tradis crash land in Amy's back garden . Amy is lynch pin if we figure who she is we figure out everything else .

Amy is just Amy.

Couldn't the same logic then be applied to any adventure he's been involved in, why all this frenzied dramatic corridor running (less recently to be fair), there's no rush, he could slip off for a mojito and a stroll on the beach, companion in peril be damned, he'll sort her out later. Pacing and dramatic structure would be some bastard to write with that in mind :p

At any rate, he hasn't previously made a habit of putting damsels/small children in distress on the long finger, and she's apparently wandered down an alleyway and died (to some degree).

Let the man have his fun with pirates. He's just saved the world. Again.

That's fair enough, a boat is a good choice, there's only so much room to frenziedly run about in, and I imagine he's tired after the seasons his previous incarnation put him through.

• Advertisement

Ok with the girl regenerating I'm thinking she's the Doctor's and River's daughter as the kiss at the end something they done but havent done before so maybe the Silence erased that from the Doctor's and River's mind that they had a child.
    Also I don't think its the last of the Silence what about the "Fear me I've killed 100s of timelords. Fear me I've killed them all" I thought that was the Silence but I could be wrong (Probably am :P)
    And as a mad theory I think it is the Doctor in the space suit that kill him. Though is not him but the little girl after regenerating. He was wearing the helmet saying it was cool in the 1st ep :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭SamIAmNot

Uh does anyone know where I could watch episodes of the current season of Dr.Who? I'm woeful at keeping track of them. I missed the 2nd part of the impossible astronaut.

Coldzone wrote: »
    Ok with the girl regenerating I'm thinking she's the Doctor's and River's daughter as the kiss at the end something they done but havent done before so maybe the Silence erased that from the Doctor's and River's mind that they had a child.

All that kiss was to signify where about River and the Doctor are on their timelines. His first is her last and that was the first time they kissed so for her its the last time they will ever kiss.

I dont think the silence can "erase" memories only plant a new idea in your head and you act on it (and you forget them).

Could the little girl be some evil time lord? Like the return of the Master or something. I feel she may be the finale at the end of next season.

SamIAmNot wrote: »
    Uh does anyone know where I could watch episodes of the current season of Dr.Who? I'm woeful at keeping track of them. I missed the 2nd part of the impossible astronaut.

<SNIP>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Agreed it was six months later or something too so he didn't actually go looking for her really..but he does often just sit back and use time travel to sort stuff out..River Song jumping from the building..and body else think the building she jumped from was one of the uncompleted twin towers?

Anyway, great episode..very surprised at the Doctors genocide decision..orphanage guy was creepier than any silence :P

..was the console room bit important or just props reused? I didn't get how that was explained.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    I dont think the silence can "erase" memories only plant a new idea in your head and you act on it (and you forget them).

Yeah but what about Amy not remembering she was there for days with the Silence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well that was ... interesting. "Good" interesting, don't get me wrong, but blimey I'm not sure I quite followed what was going on there. There are so many unanswered questions here, it's hard to know where to start. What was clear was that it was all laying the ground for the series arc
    • So who was in the astronaut suit when the Doctor was shot? Moffat's usually keen to tie up his time-travel knots, so I presume this scene will feature again. My guess? It was The Doctor himself. If the suit has some kind of TimeLord tech in it, then it might insulate "our" Doctor from time-wimey problems of meeting himself.
    • On that - who is this TimeLord / human hybrid, and more importantly, why were the Silence trying to create her in the first place? I feel that there was far more to the scene of Amy's capture than we saw. Somehow the Timelord child "escaped" the suit, Amy was captured & around 5 days pass before we see her again. I smell a revisiting at some point.
    • What was with Amy's pregnancy scan alternating between Positive & Negative? Especially as it proceeded Amy's worry that her child might be messed up by her time-travelling.
    • Amy's hallucination in the abandoned orphanage - huh? Why did that woman have a (futuristic) eyepatch? Perhaps it was some kind of crack in space-time.
    • Overall though, that episode really ratcheted up the scares and horror; it was by far Moffat's darkest episode yet. The whole scene in the orphanage was gloomy, creepy & as a threat, the Silence are shudder-inducing.
    • I did wonder in the last thread if the kiddies might have found ep1 too slow & "boring"; I'd wonder if it were the same this week. It was (comparitvely) slow paced and quite adult in places, wonder how the kids are taking to this new direction.
    • Speaking of adult, that resolution? Jesus. The Doctor effectively hypnotises humanity into becoming a collective hit-squad & performing genocide.
    • As for River Song - le sigh. Still the mystery continues. Ok, the last scene where she effectively gets the "I thought we were just friends" treatment was heart-breaking, but even so; her character has definitely out-stayed her welcome.
    • Generally loved Mark Shephard - he's a quality character actor - and the Nixon scenes in general. Lovely subtle nod to Watergate when the Doctor advises Nixon to start recording everything that goes on in the White House.
    • And the fact next week's episode is obviously a frivolous pirate episode just makes the fact we're in the dark all the more annoying!

pixelburp wrote: »
    [*]Generally loved Mark Shephard - he's a quality character actor - and the Nixon scenes in general. Lovely subtle nod to Watergate when the Doctor advises Nixon to start recording everything that goes on in the White House.
    [/LIST]

Hah, I'd almost forgotten about that! I had a flashback to reading Hunter Thompson's take on Watergate and learning about the insane elaborate recording setup Nixon had nearly hung himself with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Coldzone wrote: »
    Yeah but what about Amy not remembering she was there for days with the Silence?

I took that up that she forgot them every time she blinked/was put to sleep by them. I could be wrong though.

JEEBUS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

just watched it.

WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the pic of amy with the baby could be a red herring as was said. very good point.

and then!!!!!! the doctor actually advocating genocide???????????? i know the doctor changes everything when he regenerates but i though at least they would keep the tenant "1 Chance" thing. kinda came off as merciful really.

i am way too confused with all of this. i think my head will melt if i think about it too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭shoxter

is there any relevance in River saying "my old fella didn't see that did he?" right after she finishes shooting the silence? Was she referring to the Dr as her old fella as he was in the tardis already? and if she is referring to him as "old fella" does she mean it in a paternal sense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Loads of questions after that.

The Silence must not have all been killed off since they featured in the first episode at the picnic.

I most intrigued by the comment to Amy while she was tied up:
    "You will bring the Silence, but your part will soon be over."

I think the idea that the Silence pushing humanity to go to space does not meld with the fact that there were 20 different alien technologies in the suit - they couldn't get a suit off any of them?
    Amy's hallucination in the abandoned orphanage - huh? Why did that woman have a (futuristic) eyepatch? Perhaps it was some kind of crack in space-time.

Yeah that was pretty surreal, "She must be dreaming"?

[*]On that - who is this TimeLord / human hybrid, and more importantly, why were the Silence trying to create her in the first place? I feel that there was far more to the scene of Amy's capture than we saw. Somehow the Timelord child "escaped" the suit, Amy was captured & around 5 days pass before we see her again. I smell a revisiting at some point.

Totally wild speculation, but if they were the ones building the pseudo Tardis from the Lodger, they'd need to have someone time sensitive to actually use it. Perhaps the story will be they were trying to create one or something with an artificial/ cloned/ whatever Timelord.

Really getting bored with these "AMY IS A TIMELORD ZOMG" theories popping up ever since she first appeared though.

Totally called the kid wouldn't be in the space suit :D

A non who friend of mine pipes up while Amy is dressed in black with her severe hair on a mobile phone while poking around a mystery with an FBI agent "are they trying to make her like Scully?" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

shoxter wrote: »
    is there any relevance in River saying "my old fella didn't see that did he?" right after she finishes shooting the silence? Was she referring to the Dr as her old fella as he was in the tardis already? and if she is referring to him as "old fella" does she mean it in a paternal sense?
    Or to Rory who was clearly in the back of shot at the time? But then I thought that was too obvious so could be another red herring

• Advertisement
Advertisement