Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing estate green areas gone to bits

Options
  • 29-04-2011 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

eta MODS I meant to post this in limerick city forum, if can be moved, thanks

I live in a nice enough estate in rhebogue, but the builder has run from his responsibilities and the nice green areas of our estate are a disgrace, all over grown and getting higher by the day with the fine weather.....i'm sure everybody else's area is the same. The council say they haven't the money to cut the grass,

So in my area im thinking of printing a letter to everyone in my block that shares the green area in our section of the estate asking would they like to chip for a large lawnmower and a grass collection subscription from one of the refuse collectors if I can can organise it. Ill even cut the grass myself...

Its bloody disgraceful things have gone the way they have gone...but I hate seeing all the kids playing in the long grass, its not right, someone needs to do something.

Id use my own lawnmower but its electric lol !! wouldn't be good enough

should I do it, Im sure some wont want to contribute, but Im sure if we could raise 5-600 from 30 houses, that would be enough for a decent lawnmower, (400 ish for a proper big lawnmower :eek: ) fuel for the summer and grass collection,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Moved as per Ops request.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

in our estate when someone goes out to the green with the lawnmore usually a few neighbours follow suit. but it's the same people year in year out but we dont mind,it looks lovely and the kids enjoy the green,,just re-read your post..i'm not sure about asking for money tho as i wouldnt pay it as the only people that would pay it are the ones that are cutting the grass in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Is there no management company in place?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Thinking about this, I think this would be better suited in the Accommodation & Property forum as there maybe some more knowledgeable people on this topic in there, but I will leave a re-direct in Limerick City also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

tantipie wrote: »
    in our estate when someone goes out to the green with the lawnmore usually a few neighbours follow suit. but it's the same people year in year out but we dont mind,it looks lovely and the kids enjoy the green,,just re-read your post..i'm not sure about asking for money tho as i wouldnt pay it as the only people that would pay it are the ones that are cutting the grass in the first place
    well i cant afford to buy the equipment on my own, Im back in college, so so mon, no fun !! and nobody else has stepped up to the plate to cut it..
    Is there no management company in place?
    unfortunately not, and its a large estate, would be good money for someone if they were to take on a landscaping contract

there is no residents committee either, i think its just a shame to leave it the way it is, i have my own 3 year old boy, he'd love to be running out there, but i wont have it, in the state its in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Have your local council decided on this bio-diversity stuff that has been happening in Dublin? Fingal have done it here with their "Growing Places" initiative.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/CommunityRecreationandAmenitiesDepartment/Parks/FingalGrowingPlaces/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

first thing you need is a residents committee. From there you can organise everything else. I've been lucky in my estate, we have a very good residents committee. We chip in €50 a year and that goes towards landscaping and other jobs that need to be done, and the estate is maintained beautifully.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its quite possible there are unemployed people or others on the estate willing or capable of doing it or at least helping out. Potentially, one thing you need to consider is insurance.

Talk to the council and see if there is a cost-sharing option. That the residents would pay the council half the cost of council doing the cutting, with the council using their own staff / equipment or contractor to do the cutting.

Advertisement