Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gerry Ryan - One Year on

• 29-04-2011 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

One year ago this weekend that Gerry Ryan died, People went very ott at the time of his death, I dont know why, He didnt **** ice cream

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Don't know why, but just couldn't warm to the guy at all.

When he talked, all I could think about was a pig eating from a trough!

Respect though. The oulwans loved him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reddivil

I agree mr morbeg from morbeg land. I can see you need no help to understand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭squonk

It was a tragedy that he died. He was a decent presenter but I wasn't his biggest fan in his later years. However, the public show after he died was something else. It was a bit over the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

I miss him from the radio.He was a great broadcaster.He'd be in my top five list of broadcasters for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Just a little reminder to all that this will not turn into a G Ryan Bashing Thread. Please remember that friends and family of Gerry use this site. When he passed away last year 99 per cent of posters were fair and reasonable when discussing Mr G Ryan so lets keep it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

The first few posts, you should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Gerry ryan was a ledgend i dont condone what he did in his personal life but none of us are perfect
    radio is not the same without him.
    He delivered every day was out straight,listened to peoples problems and was the anchor for rte and radio, he could connect with people.
    I was actually going to start a thread myself .

R I P G ryan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

he`s missed on the radio in the mornings
    tubridy is not too bad
    but colm hayes show is dreadful, tabloid radio..............terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I used to listen to him for the first hour in the mornings, quite enjoyed him with his sence of humour, would have been nice to hear his thoughts on the fanfair of the royal wedding yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I loved him, and I would one of the 'oulwans' who watched his funeral on livestream with tears in my eyes. I'd been listening for years - mainly only really heard that first hour, on my way to work - but I so looked forward to listening to him. I rarely listen to 2fm anymore - no one could replace him as a broadcaster as far as I'm concerned.
    Quick year - my thoughts are with his family today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

rip gerry you are still missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I was saddened by the death of Poly Styrene and Phoebe Snow............but not GR....people should be allowed to express their opinions.....:o

Sids Not wrote: »
    I was saddened by the death of Poly Styrene and Phoebe Snow............but not GR....people should be allowed to express their opinions.....:o

Please explain SIDS Not... People are allowed express thier opinions here once it's within the boundaries of the forum charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

bbability wrote: »
    Please explain SIDS Not... People are allowed express thier opinions here once it's within the boundaries of the forum charter.

TBH, you'd ban me :rolleyes: for my opinions about him. so why bother....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I thought Gerry Ryan was a terrible broadcaster. I couldn't stand listening to his show. I remember I worked in a factory years ago and they played his show over the sound system so I'd no choice but to hear him every weekday when I was on the early shift.

It's sad for his family that he died but it's hard to have much sympathy for him as a person when he allegedly played a part in his health problems through his drug abuse.

I did find it annoying that people criticised others in RTE for not coming forward to the Guards and speaking out about where he got his drugs from - I wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of drug dealers and don't think people should be coerced into that position.

I find it hard to look at a picture of Ryan now without thinking to myself that he was probably coked off his face when the photo was taken.

I thought Gerry Ryan was a terrible broadcaster. I couldn't stand listening to his show. I remember I worked in a factory years ago and they played his show over the sound system so I'd no choice but to hear him every weekday when I was on the early shift.

It's sad for his family that he died but it's hard to have much sympathy for him as a person when he allegedly played a part in his health problems through his drug abuse.

I did find it annoying that people criticised others in RTE for not coming forward to the Guards and speaking out about where he got his drugs from - I wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of drug dealers and don't think people should be coerced into that position.

I find it hard to look at a picture of Ryan now without thinking to myself that he was probably coked off his face when the photo was taken.

and your the patron saint of I NEVER DONE A THING WRONG IN MY LIFE??

i doubt that very much now.

jimmynokia wrote: »
    and your the patron saint of I NEVER DONE A THING WRONG IN MY LIFE??

i doubt that very much now.

What has that got to do with anything? This thread is about Gerry Ryan, not me. If you want to start a thread on me it shouldn't be in the Radio forum as I'm not a radio personality. Not sure what forum would be appropriate.

I have made mistakes in my life. It's okay to criticise people who make mistakes.

its not a gerry Ryan bashing thread either or for criticising him read the charter and the above posts saint splendid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

its not a gerry Ryan bashing thread either or for criticising him read the charter and the above posts saint splendid
    The irony of this post coming from a poster who dedicates his time to bashing Ryan Tubridy on the radio forum. You couldn't make it up.

with good reason yeah. Keep your off topic posts to the relevant thread this is about gerry Ryan not Ryan tubs. Two different leagues altogether Ryan tubs cant deliver gerry Ryan did deliver. And you should know that.

The title is just "Gerry Ryan - One Year On". I think I'm on topic and I'm being fair to the man. My opinions are valid and are held by a lot of people. read the charter just now and don't see how I'm contravening it.

You're criticising me and making sarcastic comments ("saint splendid").

Just cos I give out about Gerry doing coke doesn't mean I think I'm perfect. That's ridiculous. I'm talking about this massive outpouring of grief which I believe was over the top and ill founded when you consider the revelations about his drug abuse.

Why don't you stay on topic and allow me have my opinions?

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I'm gonna close the thread for the minute to let things cool off.

Thread reopened for now. Two users warned about future conduct. Keep it clean folks.

So what was that special ingredient in Gerry that made him a better broadcaster than Ryan Tuberty?

maybe if you do some research here on boards you shall find that answer.

and would it be possible for Ryan to acquire some of this special ingredient?.. on the hush hush of course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Research?:D
    Gerry Ryan obviously appealed to a lot of people,he wasn't to my taste in the same way Brendan O'Carroll isn't but that's the way of things.Different strokes and all that. I don't rate Tubridy either as he is a walking affectation. However people are entitled to like/dislike whomever they want.What I don't understand is the public outpouring of grief by members of the public for people they do not know.To me it shows a lack of keeping things in perspective.It's devastating for his family and loved ones,everyone else should probably keep their thoughts to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Two completely different stories here.. His broadcasting had little to do with the drugs he was taking. From a broadcasting point of view, he was an acquired taste, and I quite liked him, easy going, opinionated, funny, and could in general relate to people. He had a personality, and was a good communicator, which most presenters in 2FM certainly do not have. He was annoying too, especially when eating live on air.
    He got caught up in drugs, and this was stupid. This didn't seem to effect his ability to broadcast as I have never read anyone saying that he sounded 'stoned'. Drugs did seem to destroy his life, and also that of his family. Look at the mess in 2FM now, revenue well down, and Ryan Tubridy is a total disaster. Sometimes we only appreciate what we had when it is gone. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Research?:D
    Gerry Ryan obviously appealed to a lot of people,he wasn't to my taste in the same way Brendan O'Carroll isn't but that's the way of things.Different strokes and all that. I don't rate Tubridy either as he is a walking affectation. However people are entitled to like/dislike whomever they want.What I don't understand is the public outpouring of grief by members of the public for people they do not know.To me it shows a lack of keeping things in perspective.It's devastating for his family and loved ones,everyone else should probably keep their thoughts to themselves.
    RIP Gerry Ryan.I will do what I want with my thoughts.Are you the *thought* police or what.

DT100 wrote: »
    RIP Gerry Ryan.I will do what I want with my thoughts.Are you the *thought* police or what.

who are you? the im not allowed people have "thoughts" police.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rossa morbeg

Caledonman wrote: »
    Two completely different stories here.. His broadcasting had little to do with the drugs he was taking. From a broadcasting point of view, he was an acquired taste, and I quite liked him, easy going, opinionated, funny, and could in general relate to people. He had a personality, and was a good communicator, which most presenters in 2FM certainly do not have. He was annoying too, especially when eating live on air.
    He got caught up in drugs, and this was stupid. This didn't seem to effect his ability to broadcast as I have never read anyone saying that he sounded 'stoned'. Drugs did seem to destroy his life, and also that of his family. Look at the mess in 2FM now, revenue well down, and Ryan Tubridy is a total disaster. Sometimes we only appreciate what we had when it is gone. RIP.

Revenue and listenership was fallling long before Gerry Ryans death. G ryans listenership had been in decline for years and his book flopped, How could anybody not see how up his own hole the guy was? I think this is what caused his listenership decline in recent years.

Revenue and listenership was fallling long before Gerry Ryans death. G ryans listenership had been in decline for years and his book flopped, How could anybody not see how up his own hole the guy was? I think this is what caused his listenership decline in recent years.

links and proof please.

who are you the im not allowed people have thoughts police
    If you used punctuation,I might have made sense of that sentence.

DT100 wrote: »
    If you used punctuation,I might have made sense of that sentence.

oh! its not only the thoughts inspector,but the English teacher too.....

Who is a clever boy then?

links and proof please.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfkfsnqlmhgb/rss2/

first page i checked..

Compare to the current holder of his slot.
    Every show has its life cycle.

• Advertisement

indeed.. and his is over. move on,
    bye bye now jimmynokia with your fancy name..

reddivil wrote: »
    indeed.. and his is over. move on,
    bye bye now jimmynokia with your fancy name..

and your point is?

and how the fcuk is my name fancy?

Now look what you have started! His listenership may have been falling, but nothing to the levels of where that slot is at now. Most presenters are up their own ass a bit, and maybe he was. I think the problem is that RTE bosses are so far up their so called 'top' presenters asses, that the presenters start to believe their own PR. He was in most people's eyes, quite ok.

Caledonman wrote: »
    Now look what you have started! His listenership may have been falling, but nothing to the levels of where that slot is at now. Most presenters are up their own ass a bit, and maybe he was. I think the problem is that RTE bosses are so far up their so called 'top' presenters asses, that the presenters start to believe their own PR. He was in most people's eyes, quite ok.

In most people's eyes? Do you think? I disagree. Most people I know found him boorish and irritating with little genuine empathy for people. All that sommelier nonsense and going on about weekends in New York etc.
    Apart from any of that did nobody find his slightly breathy,nasal voice annoying?Especially for a broadcaster. He was actually quite unprofessional really.

In most people's eyes? Do you think? I disagree. Most people I know found him boorish and irritating with little genuine empathy for people. All that sommelier nonsense and going on about weekends in New York etc.
    Apart from any of that did nobody find his slightly breathy,nasal voice annoying?Especially for a broadcaster. He was actually quite unprofessional really.

I can't agree with you on the empathy bit, and never found his voice 'nasal', but the great thing about opinions is that we all have one, and we all can be right.
    Probably pointless to disagree over someone that is gone, and keep that energy for some of the muppets we are blessed with!

• Advertisement

The clever boy, is the boy who used punctuaction.

Did you edit your post to put in the comma?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Sean Bateman

A father and husband died prematurely. That's a tragedy.

However, the attitude of the media (and RTE in particular) to this situation has been hypocritical and disgusting.

This man should not be feted and heralded as some kind of a hero. His cocaine habit has left his children without a father and in a far worse financial situation than they should be in given his level of earnings.

He should be cited as an example of what not to do and how not to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

REST IN PEACE Gerry i miss listening to you on radio in the mornings it's just not the same...

Ya know people are entitled to their opinion and all that but it's amazing how people can be so crual with the comments they make about others especially those who have passed on you would swear that you were all perfact well ill tell ya nobody is perfect not me or anyone thats why i have so much mistrust in humanity. GERRY YOU WERE THE BEST IN MY OPINION. my thoughts are with his family at this his annaverisery time RIP GERRY...

What has that got to do with anything? This thread is about Gerry Ryan, not me. If you want to start a thread on me it shouldn't be in the Radio forum as I'm not a radio personality. Not sure what forum would be appropriate.

I have made mistakes in my life. It's okay to criticise people who make mistakes.
    that dosent say that you cant be critisied either mr perfect

sorry i do think this thread should be closed there's a few people here with no respect at all im really saddned by it all...

I've already warned a few about their comments. Just a reminder that it's your posts and your comments. This is a public forum and maybe just maybe have a little thought for those who knew him. Leave the other things outside radio for another's days disscussion as we all know this is a radio forum so let's talk radio please.

As much as some people here would wipe their feet on him he was without doubt one of the best broadcasting talents this island has produced. I think with age you either loathed him or loved him. And his listenership figures were unmatched for his demograph. He certainly had things on his show that didn't interest me but that was his show. One of my favourite parts of his show was his review of the newspapers. No one came near him for that. He gave many people an opportunity to express their views or certain issues, talked and helped people out of situations good bad or indifferent. He has not nor will be replaced. It was unfortunate that he passed on before his time but he has left a mark no matter what people think.

Regrading the publics reaction this time last year.. The public will give an honest opinion on any public figure and at the time it was justified. I for one wouldn't have changed a thing. He was held in high asteem by many many people across the country as a friend and broadcaster.

RIP Gerry

REST IN PEACE Gerry i miss listening to you on radio in the mornings it's just not the same...

Do you think Gerry is reading this on his laptop up in heaven?:rolleyes:

Yosser Hughes banned for 2 days.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement