Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fuel consumption

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Register with fuelly.com
    Enter your refuelling figures and mileage, and it will keep track of your fuel efficiency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

235 miles from 15 litres on the ER6f, approx 71 MPG with cruising speed of 70 to 80 MPH.

Perfect bike, perfect power!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Fiskar wrote: »
    235 miles from 15 litres on the ER6f, approx 71 MPG with cruising speed of 70 to 80 MPH.

Perfect bike, perfect power!

I think your confused. I have the same bike unfaired and same engine and there is no way your getting 4 litres to 100km. Its possible if you work it out as km/gallon instead of converting it.

The bike averages around 45-50 mpg, high fiftys if all you do is steady motorway cruising. Every forum and roadtest out there backs up those figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Looking at the figure's here my V-strom 1000 is guzzling petrol..

Distance covered..160 miles.
    Fuel used............22 litres.
    Cost of litre.........1.50 euro.
    MPG...................33.0
    Km per litre..........11.7.
    Litres per 100km...8.547.

Surely I should be getting better economy than this...?

I think your confused. I have the same bike unfaired and same engine and there is no way your getting 4 litres to 100km. Its possible if you work it out as km/gallon instead of converting it.

The bike averages around 45-50 mpg, high fiftys if all you do is steady motorway cruising. Every forum and roadtest out there backs up those figures.

Sorry but it is and has always averaged 67 +MPG.
    My bike is a UK import and is in miles, I get 235 miles from my run between Navan and Sandyford meaning I re-fill every 3 days costing at the mo between 23 and 24 euro for 15 litres. I always have it serviced every 7500.
    Faired bike will always do better MPG than unfaired. Best I ever did without running out of petrol was a 241 miles but I was skinning it at that. Always brim the tank to get the most between fills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

My current average on my 1200 adventure is 41mpg. I have had it, with sensible riding at close to 50, but that does not seem to last long. I get around 300 miles out of a tank of fuel.

MrP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

stratowide wrote: »
    Looking at the figure's here my V-strom 1000 is guzzling petrol...
    considering I've the same engine, I know you can get better economy, but it depends on how and where you were driving those 160 miles.
    What size tank is on the v-strom? The sv is 11.8 before reserve and I get 220-240 km which is only slightly more than 160 miles isn't it?
    That's mainly 100-120kmph cruising though. if I go into town I get 210-220km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

Idleater wrote: »
    considering I've the same engine, I know you can get better economy, but it depends on how and where you were driving those 160 miles.
    What size tank is on the v-strom? The sv is 11.8 before reserve and I get 220-240 km which is only slightly more than 160 miles isn't it?
    That's mainly 100-120kmph cruising though. if I go into town I get 210-220km.

I'ts tank hold's 22 litre's,Mixture of motorway and town driving mostly.
    I'd push it on during motorway spin's.I'v noticed on our Sunday spin's out that I am putting more pertol into the tank than the other guy's.
    Its hard to see busa's,FJR 1300 or ZX12's lighter on juice than my v twin..or maybe not.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I've started riding a Fazer 600 Drogheda to City Center, so it's mostly motorway with a bit of filtering at both ends. Fazer has a 22 liter tank, and while I haven't had a close look at what mpg I am getting, I have a feeling that I am not getting 4 round trips on one tank - so that's less than 50 mpg..

For those of us in the 70 MPG club!

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/user/21713/August/Kawasaki-ER-6F-owner-report/Kawasaki/ER-6F/_/R-EPI-93271

Great place to be lately with fuel prices the way they are!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

stratowide wrote: »
    Its hard to see busa's,FJR 1300 or ZX12's lighter on juice than my v twin..or maybe not.:D
    V-twins get terrible on fuel economy at high revs. Much worse than il4's. Use the low down grunt more :)
    I got 180km to 14l on a track day, and that was taking it easy in the wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I always get 300km out of 15l with my Deauville, and at least half of my normal driving is motorway, with the remainder in 3rd or fourth gear.

2003 Fazer 600.

I filled up last Sunday evening, and reset the trip meter and after 4 days of Drogheda - Dublin commute, I filled up the tank again today. I see I got 236 miles and the refill today was 16.66 liters (25.31 euro).

16.66 ltrs are 3.66 UK gallons. Which would mean I am getting 64 mpg. Am I doing this right? Or do people usually talk in US gallons?

In metric, I am getting 14 km/l. (Some drop from my last bike which did 70 kpl!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

€25 would get me about 150 miles on the SV :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

300klms on 22 litres with a GSX1400, considerably less around town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

KamiKazi wrote: »
    €25 would get me about 150 miles on the SV :(

my Suzuki twin - two stroke - would only get about 90miles :eek: . I aspire to your 150 !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

KTRIC wrote: »
    300klms on 22 litres with a GSX1400, considerably less around town.

I'll get about 270km in mine but it's 10 years old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Use a mpg calculator to get your MPG

http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm

It's confusing when everyone is saying they got X miles/km from Y fuel

That can't work very well. If your tank was 8% full when you filled it and you drove 300 miles and your tank was now 4% full, that's a big discrepency in terms of fuels used.

You can only do it accurately retrospectively;

1) Fill the tank,
    2) Reset the clock,
    3) Empty your tank,
    4) Refill the tank, record your gallons (litres divided by 4.54)
    5) Divide the miles on the clock by your total gallons

6) Reset your clock and start again.

In other words, your approach should be: how far did I go out of that tank and how many gallons did I use getting there.

A good friend of mine calculates his differently- how many days to the twenty :rolleyes:

^^^ is what I am doing. However, you don't need to really empty the tank for the above to work.

Yeah, so I am getting 64 mpg - which sounds good actually, especially since most of this is on M1.

• Advertisement

positron wrote: »
    ^^^ you don't need to really empty the tank for the above to work.

The closer to empty, the better. Of course there's no point in risking running out but the longer you leave it, the more accurate it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Use a mpg calculator to get your MPG

http://www.eforecourt.com/calc_mpg.htm

It's confusing when everyone is saying they got X miles/km from Y fuel

We buy our fuel in liters, all new clocks show Kilometers and a fair proportion of our bikes already do. Whats wrong with using an actual measurement that doesn't require 14 hogs to the onion?

Still can't believe I could get 3.5-4 liters per kilometer if I didn't spend my time driving round a city. Maybe I should sell up and buy something smaller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

@CantDecide

No it's not your way of doing your calculations that I have an issue with.

It's the information coming back. It's all just data. If everyone's posts in mpg or l/100km it would make for easier comparison.

Keen to keep an eye on how much I spend on petrol, I setup this fuelly account, currently at 63.8 uk mpg or 4.4 l/100km:

73018.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Younglad2012

About 20e for 270miles on easy riding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

About 20e for 270miles on easy riding :)

Well done on your first post.

This thread is over 18 months old.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement