Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig Trouble...help needed

Options
  • 29-04-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

My pc will freeze and not respond, requiring a re-boot every time I exit a game that was started via steam.

I asked in another section but got no help responses. Heres what I wrote.

==========
    Hi lads,

Very tricky problem with a new build.

Basicly, just as I open or close a window or application the whole computer freezes. No keyboard/mouse response, no task manager, even the HDD stops seeking. Temps are fine tho.

This happens randomly and sometimes not for a whole day. I was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. I then installed Windows 7 pro 64 bit and still get the lock ups.

I just happened to have upgraded my psu but that didnt fix it either...not that the old one was to blame.

All the components are new. But these problems only started when I changed my motherboard and CPU.

SPECS are:

i5 2500k @ 4.2 GHz
    MSI P67a-GD55
    2x2GB OCZ 10666 Low Voltage Dual Channel
    ASUS 6970
    XFX 650 PSU

===============

I feel its a problem with the BIOS setting my RAM timmings and voltage wrongly.

What would be a more stable setting for low voltage ram @ 7-7-7-20 1.65V 1333MHz

AND its specified as dual channel ram are these known to cause problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

Assuming those are legit and activated copies of windows, install any relevent windows updates - updates relating to system stability, software compatability etc.

Remove the CPU overclock for the time being, reset everything to default. Check your ram's spec online for recommended settings, something like 9-9-9-27, 1333 @ 1.5v could work.

FYI, I've read that OCZ are no longer honouring their RAM warranties either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would be also be suspicious of the overclock. Did you check for stability?

Could be RAM alright. Try memtest. www.memtest.org

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

seyeM wrote: »
    Assuming those are legit and activated copies of windows.

How dare you sir.

Only messin. Yeah I had the pleasure of a student software package from a MS site during college. All versions of the MS OS for free :p

Advertisement