Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting help!!

Options
  • 29-04-2011 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭

Hi there!

Just looking for some advice on something im not familiar about.

Im looking at renting a property through sherry fitzgerald. On the list of things they want from me is my current salary, and a bank reference/ or a 3 month bank statement!!

since aib dont give bank references, i need to give a 3 month bank statement!!

I really dont want to share this info with a letting agent never mind my landlord! is this really legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No, it is not legal or a requirement. Just give them an employment reference and perhaps a copy of your passport, thats what I submitted when renting a few apts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

gurramok wrote: »
    No, it is not legal or a requirement. Just give them an employment reference and perhaps a copy of your passport, thats what I submitted when renting a few apts.

thanks for the reply! are you sure this is illegal? I would like to put it to them, even though i really want the apartment

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Streifi

My bank told me they don't do references either but after enquiring what i could do they told me they do something that's called a credit enquiry or something similar (can't remember, it's a while ago).
    But you can request it in your bank (they will charge you a ridiculous 8 euro or so for it.
    But all you (or the estate agent) do is to put in is the amount your rent is gonna be and they check if your account is "meeting the requirements" and give you a letter stating that your account is active, in good conditions and able to meet the requirements...

I think the estate agents are just unwilling to pay the 8 euro fee and so let you do it, cause they can actually request it themselves...

I was very weary to give bank statements to the agent too (and mine requested 6 month...)

All the best with the new home!

Streifi

Streifi wrote: »
    My bank told me they don't do references either but after enquiring what i could do they told me they do something that's called a credit enquiry or something similar (can't remember, it's a while ago).
    But you can request it in your bank (they will charge you a ridiculous 8 euro or so for it.
    But all you (or the estate agent) do is to put in is the amount your rent is gonna be and they check if your account is "meeting the requirements" and give you a letter stating that your account is active, in good conditions and able to meet the requirements...

I think the estate agents are just unwilling to pay the 8 euro fee and so let you do it, cause they can actually request it themselves...

I was very weary to give bank statements to the agent too (and mine requested 6 month...)

All the best with the new home!

Streifi

thanks!

i just rang her there! was going to suggest that to her. but she said just block everything out of the bank statement. i suppose im happy enough to do that. :( but still feel a bit invaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

go to their office tell them feel free to do a credit check, take the deposit out of your wallet and ask how long it will take for them to get everything in order.

I cant understand how people end up jumping through hoops to hand over money.

cash is king, they need your money badly.

• Advertisement

bobmalooka wrote: »
    go to their office tell them feel free to do a credit check, take the deposit out of your wallet and ask how long it will take for them to get everything in order.

I cant understand how people end up jumping through hoops to hand over money.

cash is king, they need your money badly.

the problem is, ive been looking for a place in the D4 area for about a month! i work there and want to be close. There feck all places available within my price range! its very annoying because they should be the one chasing me. its rediculous but i actually cant afford to miss this place as its perfect. Its says on the doc they gave me they wont rent without passport, bank statement, letter from employer... so what would you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

neil_hosey wrote: »
    the problem is, ive been looking for a place in the D4 area for about a month! i work there and want to be close. There feck all places available within my price range! its very annoying because they should be the one chasing me. its rediculous but i actually cant afford to miss this place as its perfect. Its says on the doc they gave me they wont rent without passport, bank statement, letter from employer... so what would you do?

To be honest if I was in your situation & an estate agent was pushing me for something I didn't want to give them I would just look elsewhere no matter how much I wanted the house. I know you want to be in D4 but Dublin just isn't big enough for me to be ars*d dealing with that sort of hassle in order to live right beside where I work, I'd rather find somewhere in D6/D6W or D8 where I'd still be within walking distance or somewhere along the 46a bus line than rent from an estate agent that are annoying from the start

Advertisement