Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VLC media player - sound but no picture

• 29-04-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My VLC player has suddenly stopped working. I can hear audio fine but there's no picture.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling.
    I've gone in and played with the audio settings in preferences (I changed them back afterwards).
    I even tried installing an older version of vlc.
    Nothing works.

I can only imagine that something other than vlc that is causing this problem, some windows setting (I'm running vista).
    I also have the same problem with wmp.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I had a similar issue about 3 years back, my first thought was a codec, but VLC comes with a vast amount of them. Did you install/uninstall any other software during the time this problem began? A system restore might work.

System Restore:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

VLC doesnt use external codecs or splitters by default so there it should not be a codec issue.

First reset all preferences. (there is a button for it in the preferences).

Then try turning off video acceleration. (preferences > video > accelerated video output).

Remember that VLC needs to be restarted in order for some changes to take effect.

Also I would check your graphics driver properties, some GPUs have controls for video colour/gamma/etc. Again, reset preferences and also see if there is any updates available.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭bobobear

Thanks for the replies.

I had tried to do a system restore, but for some reason my computer doesn't have any save points registered. I tried to set them up but it's telling me that the function has been disabled by a group administrator. It's my personal computer, not a work one, so I am the administrator. Not really sure why that isn't working.

I tried resetting the preferences in vlc, and turning off video acceleration. Restarted both times (one time it auto-set itself to Japanese, weird). No joy.

I'm not too sure how to reset the graphics driver properties though.

Another weird thing, when I restarted vlc, windows told me that it had changed the colour scheme of windows to windows basic because something wasn't compatible. Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Probably an obvious question but did you try a number of video files?

To make sure its not just that one video?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/ - just as good if surrender is an option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

bobobear wrote: »

I'm not too sure how to reset the graphics driver properties though.

Right-click a blank area of the desktop and one of the options should be a graphics control panel. The options and layout will depend on whether you have an Intel card, or Nvidia, or ATI, but they all should have a way of going back to the default settings.

Advertisement