Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my sweet pea doesnt look so good

Options
  • 29-04-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭

The leaves look a bit yellowish and looks like something has been snacking on it.

What should I do?

Also- does jasmine grow well in an Irish climate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

The leaves look a bit yellowish and looks like something has been snacking on it.

What should I do?

Also- does jasmine grow well in an Irish climate?

The yellow can be be lack of nutrition from the soil,some good plantfood would sort that out,
    however it can be a lack of sunlight also or even oxygen(space for the the stem/roots to 'breath') in the soil or even above the soil.
    Its could be slugs/snails etc eating them,to be ecological and nice to mother nature as an alternative to poison,
    use and recycle your eggshells, break them up and spread around your sweet peas,it will cut the snails,etc and it should deter them.
    The Jasmine plant would be suitable to our Irish summers,
    Advisably, however it would'nt suit our recent winters maybe so it the temperature didn't go below -4.4 degrees celcius like it has gone below over twice that in recent years.
    Basically it wouldn't have a hope unless you were to grow it indoors.
    Hope I could help*, sincerely iguy
    *e&oe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thank you. I took them out of their pots and put them in the ground. I looked at the bottom of the pots and the roots were all squashed with nowhere to go, so hopefully now they will be ok.

Thanks for the tip about the eggshells too. I heard salt is good to keep the slugs away?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Lofty0990

Thank you. I took them out of their pots and put them in the ground. I looked at the bottom of the pots and the roots were all squashed with nowhere to go, so hopefully now they will be ok.

Thanks for the tip about the eggshells too. I heard salt is good to keep the slugs away?

My jasmine survived -11 in the sunny south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iguy

Lofty0990 wrote: »
    My jasmine survived -11 in the sunny south east.
    Good to know,what breed is it?

Your welcome, cheers:-)
    Salt is good,however you'll have the task of removing the beggars as salt kills them by drying them up.
    Also salt can be bad for your plants,grass,etc as it increases the ammonium levels in the soil,it would basically dry the soil out if that makes sense.
    Would explain into more detail for you only its late at night!
    Hope I helped again.
    Sincerely,
    iguy.

Advertisement