Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for themes in LC English Comparatives?

• 29-04-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

I would love some ideas on interesting themes for Comparatives (I'm sitting my LC in 2012, I don't know if Theme is on this year's course but if it is then of course feel free to add yours!) Feel free to also write what comparatives you are doing, but it's not essential.

The themes I already have are:
    • The isolated protagonist
    • The dysfunctional family
    • The conflict of the filial relationship
    • The quest for independence
    (In case anyone is wondering, my three texts are Inside I'm Dancing, Sive, and Wuthering Heights.)

Anyone got any interesting/unusual themes they are thinking about or have done in class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm not really sure why you are asking. There is no need to have a list of themes; you only need one. The ones you've listed there are also quite specific and will be limiting to write an essay on. e.g. The isolated protagonist would be broader in scope if it were just "isolation" and "family" is easier than specifying a dysfunctional one or concentrating on the filial relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

I was just asking out of curiosity - I'm sure there are some interesting themes that I haven't thought of that I could write about. It's always nice to have options. :)

Also, I realise they might seem limiting, but as they are more specific I actually find them easier to write about, as I can look at one topic in detail, rather than trying to cover a broader and more vague theme and not being able to be detailed enough because there's so much to write.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was just asking out of curiosity - I'm sure there are some interesting themes that I haven't thought of that I could write about. It's always nice to have options. :)

Also, I realise they might seem limiting, but as they are more specific I actually find them easier to write about, as I can look at one topic in detail, rather than trying to cover a broader and more vague theme and not being able to be detailed enough because there's so much to write.

Are you studying on your own? I ask because teachers only do one theme, as Cultural Context and General Vision and Viewpoint have to be covered as well, and that's only for one section that's worth 70/400.

But, if, unlike most people on this forum, you want to make the course longer, I suppose you could look at identity and how the protagonists deal with it - Heathcliff will always be the gypsy boy, Sive the illegitimate niece and Rory is defined by the condition he has.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

Why don't you do it with your teacher will be far easier to follow.

Well a class that I know did Lies of Silence, Dancing at Lughnasa and Il Postino and they did the theme of family ( or whatever it is you said )

For my comparitive we did The Constant Gardener, The Kite Runner and Atonement and we did the theme of Repentance/Redemption.

Are you doing the course by yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

deemark wrote: »
    Are you studying on your own? I ask because teachers only do one theme, as Cultural Context and General Vision and Viewpoint have to be covered as well, and that's only for one section that's worth 70/400.

But, if, unlike most people on this forum, you want to make the course longer, I suppose you could look at identity and how the protagonists deal with it - Heathcliff will always be the gypsy boy, Sive the illegitimate niece and Rory is defined by the condition he has.

I'm not studying on my own. I'm in Fifth Year though, not Sixth, so we haven't decided on one theme to focus on yet, and I'm looking for something really interesting and unique to choose. Love the idea of identity, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 paperplane93

Can anyone tell me if Literary Genre is on this year or can only Cultural context, Theme or General V+V appear ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭readystudypass

Can anyone tell me if Literary Genre is on this year or can only Cultural context, Theme or General V+V appear ? :confused:

The Comparative Modes for Examination in 2011 are:

Higher Level (i) Theme or Issue
    (ii) The General Vision and Viewpoint
    (iii) The Cultural Context

Literary Genre is not on for LC 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aislingcox

can anybody give me information on the cultural context,literary genre and theme or issue on these three comparative texts: The constant gardener, The grass is singing and Translations.
    Even any links that would help me i would ask my teacher but i feel he is no good!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

aislingcox wrote: »
    can anybody give me information on the cultural context,literary genre and theme or issue on these three comparative texts: The constant gardener, The grass is singing and Translations.
    Even any links that would help me i would ask my teacher but i feel he is no good!:(
    Although I dont do any of them texts try search them on spark notes they have excellent English notes that many lc students use

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

When I did my leaving cert my teacher did the theme of family in class but we were able to pick our own theme which most of us did. This ensured that the marking scheme was less harsh as the examiner didn't get 25 of the more or less the same answers.

Yeah, Sparkle notes is meant to be quite good; my lectures at college recommend it for us.

I did the theme of freedom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement