Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superman 'may end US citizenship'

Options
  • 29-04-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭

Just spotted this on BBC News (Hidden among all the wedding articles!)
    Superman intends to give up his US citizenship, a story in the new issue of Action Comics declares.

"I'm tired of having my actions construed as instruments of US policy," the character says in a story that sees him flying to a Tehran protest.

Adopted by an American family, Superman decides he is better-off serving the world.

Though he only talks about his plans to give up citizenship, the story has been criticised by commentators worldwide.

The superhero, originally from the fictional planet Krypton, does not clearly renounce his citizenship in the issue.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13237795

Looks like it would be an interesting story line to follow but not sure where they will end up with it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

So basically Superman super-throws his toys out of the pram? As far as arks go this is scraping the barrel! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Absolutely nothing will change. They will either not run the story or they'll run it and revert it a few months later. I'm not commenting on your post but it really makes me laugh when you see on the news about Marvel or DC killing off a major character. About the only one I can think off that they really did kill off was Jason Todd's Robin...... And he even stayed dead for a few years before they brought him back. Now I may be mistaken but I can't think of any others

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Absolutely nothing will change. They will either not run the story or they'll run it and revert it a few months later. I'm not commenting on your post but it really makes me laugh when you see on the news about Marvel or DC killing off a major character. About the only one I can think off that they really did kill off was Jason Todd's Robin...... And he even stayed dead for a few years before they brought him back. Now I may be mistaken but I can't think of any others

I think Peter Parker's uncle is about the only character who hasn't been brought back in one way or another. Well, maybe Gwen Stacy while we're at it. Everywhere else death is just a clichéd revolving door (as admitted by Joe Quesada, amongst others).

All of which would be fine if they didn't try to have these headline-grabbing stories where suddenly someone with a decades-long career of wearing figure-hugging spandex with their underpants on the outside decides that they need to be "relevant". If DC does decide to explore this further (which, I'll be honest, couldn't be worse than "Superman goes for a walk and basically goofs off for a while", which is what the JMS arc sounded like) they'd need to be smart about what subject matter they try to explore along the way...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Might be the conspiracy theorist in me but does anyone else think the timing is a little more than coincidental?.....Marvel are about release their All American hero into cinemas and DC have theirs attempt to make people question citizenship.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Fysh wrote: »
    Well, maybe Gwen Stacy while we're at it.

She was brought back in the clone saga, as a clone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;71961925']She was brought back in the clone saga, as a clone.

But it wasn't her, the clone never filled the original Gwen's role or took over her life. The clone also survived the whole thing, I wonder when Marvel will use her again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Its a pointless story because Superman always helps everyone, everywhere.He was always seen as a Global Hero [both in our world and in DC world] The renouncing his citizenship [Technically he would only be a US citizen as Clark Kent] is just a pathetic attempt at publicity and a shameless act at pandering.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Its a pointless story because Superman always helps everyone, everywhere.He was always seen as a Global Hero [both in our world and in DC world] The renouncing his citizenship [Technically he would only be a US citizen as Clark Kent] is just a pathetic attempt at publicity and a shameless act at pandering.

I was just about to ask the same question; when did Superman become a US citizen in the first place?

It seems to me a story where he has to apply for citizenship would be much more interesting than this. But then, I've never had a problem with him being all for truth, justice and the American way, either, so go fig.

As for comic deaths... Bucky Barnes was dead for much longer than Jason Todd. Having said that, the story where he came back was actually really good, so I can't complain!

I was just about to ask the same question; when did Superman become a US citizen in the first place?

To everybody else in the DCU he's an alien that lives in solitude in a fortress in the Artic. This whole citizenship renouncing stuff is stupid unless the writer plans to have Superman reveal his identity as Clark Kent.
    It seems to me a story where he has to apply for citizenship would be much more interesting than this. But then, I've never had a problem with him being all for truth, justice and the American way, either, so go fig.

He's probably been a proper citizen since he was a baby when the Kents adopted him. He [as Supes] has had honorary International citizenship for years [The UN delegates bestowed him with it in one issue IIRC]
    As for comic deaths... Bucky Barnes was dead for much longer than Jason Todd. Having said that, the story where he came back was actually really good, so I can't complain!

I thought Barry Allen's death was great but really disappointed that they brought him back. He died a hero's death saving the Universe/Multiverse and one of the few deaths that actually stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Davyhal

I'll always remember when I first started reading comic books (started off with X-Men, reading the run up to End Song and the Dark Phoenix Saga), I was told my one of my older friends "Don't worry about the characters dying they tend to do that. The only ones that ever stay dead are Bucky, Todd and Uncle Ben"... Since then, they have brought back Bucky and Jason Todd! If you want to be very particular, you can say that Uncle Ben (as well as Gwen Stacy) was brought back in House of M, but that's all alternative universe created by Scarlet Witch blah blah blah

• Advertisement

I wonder what the status of this story will be now that they're rebooting the entire DC Universe in Sept.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wonder what the status of this story will be now that they're rebooting the entire DC Universe in Sept.

I would imagine it will become even less relevant than it was about 30 seconds after the relevant issue of the comic hit the shelves. It wasn't part of a big "bold new direction", so I'd imagine DC would be happier if people just forgot about it tbh...

Fysh wrote: »

I would imagine it will become even less relevant than it was about 30 seconds after the relevant issue of the comic hit the shelves. It wasn't part of a big "bold new direction", so I'd imagine DC would be happier if people just forgot about it tbh...

Agreed. I'm taking a summer vacation from buying comics since there's a good chance most of these stories won't be in continuity once the reboot happens in Sept.

Advertisement