Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shooting with a converted digital IR

• 29-04-2011 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭

Im playing around with the idea of converting my spare 450D or 1000D to infrared (switching out the low pass filter for an IR720 filter). I have software to calibrate the AF sensor to the IR focal point so that shouldnt be an issue (unless the focus shift is massive?).

Does anyone here shoot IR digitals and was it worth converting or does it end up sitting in its case most of the time?
    IR intrigues me and if I do shoot some IR I want to shoot handheld (hence the full conversion) but Id like to hear other people's opinions before I make my mind up.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Sits in the case most of the time.

3333039216_be8cab3590_z.jpg?zz=1

Tacumshane Windmill - Co. Wexford
    I.R. Converted Canon 30D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

^^^ Oh that's lovely..

@zerohamster, why don't you try shooting a bit of film before you convert, see how you feel? Rollie IR is rated at 200 (well, actually it's rated at 400, but shoots better at 200 AFAIR) so it's grand hand-held, and you'll be using the same filters and stuff. You can pick it up nice and cheap from thefizz here if you send him a PM. At least that way you only spend a few quid finding out if it suits you - if you leave it on the shelf after one or two rolls then it probably doesn't :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

To be fair, if it's a camera which is going "spare" - then it would be safe to assume it sits on a shelf the majority of the time anyway?

I'd be inclined to go for it if that is the case, if it doesnt work out for you i'm sure you'd be able to sell it on easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Nice shot jpb1974 :)

@sineadw: That sounds like a pretty good idea actually, Ive been meaning to go out with my film SLR and get some more rolls through it although I still haven't seen the results from the first roll (looking forward to though) :rolleyes:.
    Ive heard there is special handling involved with IR film, is that right and is it expensive to get processed?

@Eirebear: As a spare it is somewhat like my backup/risky situation camera if you get me. I would bring it to a friend's party or just somewhere I thought there might be a risk to my main body (Im a bit over careful with my 500D :o).
    It does sit unused most of the time though so I think that is a good reason to convert it, as you say it would be probably easy to sell on anyway if I didn't like it especially if it is calibrated properly etc... and I could always convert it back if I really needed it.

Cheers for the input everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

@sineadw: That sounds like a pretty good idea actually, Ive been meaning to go out with my film SLR and get some more rolls through it although I still haven't seen the results from the first roll (looking forward to though) :rolleyes:.
    Ive heard there is special handling involved with IR film, is that right and is it expensive to get processed?

If you're using 35mm (which I'm assuming you will) then it needs to be loaded in complete darkness - i.e. a darkbag. Or under your duvet at night will do :) What camera are you using? If it reads the film to tell iso then it may fog the edges of the film. I'm sure TheFizz will tell you if you're alright if you drop him a line. The older, manual cameras don't have any issues.

One thing - the iso of 200 is without the filter! So you'll lose a lot of light. I'm sure you can rate it at 400 though.. Must try that.. but if handheld expect a very big aperture.

Processing is the same as any other b&w, but be sure to tell them that it's IR. Or better yet, chuck it over to me and i'll do it for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

sineadw wrote: »
    Or under your duvet at night will do :) What camera are you using? If it reads the film to tell iso then it may fog the edges of the film.
    It's actually some cameras which use IR leds to detect frame advance which will fog the film. Quick google on your camera model and 'IR compatibility'or something similar will probably throw up a few references to whether or not it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

wasnt there some guy in Cork who did the converting as I recall ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭thefizz

The Rollei IR film can be loaded in subdued light and the IR sensors in cameras will not fog it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Cheers for the tips people, Ill give TheFizz a shout and see how expensive the film is etc...much appreciated.
    Yeah, Im shooting on 35mm,I have a Ricoh KR-10 and a Canon EOS 1000n.
    I Checked out the 1000n for compatibility as it might have had the IR film counter but luckily it doesnt but it does however have a hole in the back for film date check that can cause problems but I read I can just cover that up myself to stop light getting in.

@sinead: When you say the film is ISO200 without the filter do you mean an IR720 filter? Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that :)

@sunny2004: I repair cameras lenses etc... and have access to Canon calibration software so I would be doing the converting myself no problem, the only cost to me would be the IR sensor filter and time (plus software cost depending on which model I decide to convert as I already have the 1000D service software).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I bought and converted a 400D two years ago and I love it. It get's a decent amount of use.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8661925@N05/sets/72157620097626507/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

some gr8 pics in there Effects

Advertisement