Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Door Cylinder - Help

• 29-04-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the cylinder on one of the doors. I read that you begin by removing the cylinder retaining screw which I can't seem to see?

I want to replace the cylinder with a more secure cylinder (have read about lock bumping). Can it be done with this type of setup and can you suggest where is best to purchase a new cylinder and how much roughly for one (one where a special card is required to get a copy of the key).

I have attached pics of the current setup.

Thanks in advance.

Door1.jpg
    Door2.jpg
    Door3.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've only ever changed a cylinder on a PVC door, and in that case the cylinder retaining screw was located just above where the PAT GB is in your pic. Obviously different doors can work differently, but what happens when you remove the two visible screws, is it possible it removes the front plate only and reveals more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

donal7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking to replace the cylinder on one of the doors. I read that you begin by removing the cylinder retaining screw which I can't seem to see?

I want to replace the cylinder with a more secure cylinder (have read about lock bumping). Can it be done with this type of setup and can you suggest where is best to purchase a new cylinder and how much roughly for one (one where a special card is required to get a copy of the key).

I have attached pics of the current setup.

Thanks in advance.

Door1.jpg
    Door2.jpg
    Door3.jpg

Your type of lock is called a eurocylinder. Keyed one side/thumbwheel on the other. You could phone around the locksmiths to find out about bumpproof euro cylinders.

A security key (that you need a registration cert in order to be allowed to) won't necessarily prevent someone getting a blank form of the key then making a bump key.

If you remove the two screws of that vanity plate (in your middle photo), you'll reveal the lock body proper. There'll be a single long bolt just above PAT GB. Remove it and you can slide the cylinder out in the thumbwheel side direction (you'll have to rotate the thumbwheel to align things so the cylinder comes out. It's not too fiddly though)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Thanks delly & antiskeptic for the replies.

I removed that panel and found what I was looking for.

Thanks to you both :D

Advertisement