Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Stop Kilmeaden becoming a radiation hotspot"?

Options
  • 29-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I was driving through Kilmeaden the other day and I noticed this sign up. Got me worried as we've just bought a house out there. Did a bit of googling and the only thing that came up was an article about radon levels being high in Kilmeaden and other areas of Waterford. From what little I know, radon can be naturally occuring and may have something to do with the mines nearby? Does anyone know if there are any other radiation worries out there, or if someones gotten the wrong end of the stick?
    Much appreciated =)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

A picture of the sign would be good.

Nothing to do with objections to radiation emissions from phone masts was it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

More then likely a phone mast. Radon, you cant do much about to protest or put up signs for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Moocawn

Hey dashboard_hula,

I'm pretty sure the signs are there because the ESB put in a planning application (no. 1122) for this:

"for the erection of a 30m high, free standing, lattice type communications structure, carrying antennae and communication dishes, to be shared with third party operators, within a 2.4m high palissade compound at ESB's existing Cullenagh 220W substation"

on the 25/01/2011 in Cullenagh, Kilmeaden Co. Waterford.

There is always fierce objections to these type of masts, as demonstrated by this letter:

Communications Mast for ESB Site at Cullenagh, Kilmeaden

Published on Friday, January 21st, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Dear Sir,

The Kilmeaden Anti-Mast group would like to bring to the attention of local residents and other interested parties the planning application being made by the ESB to site a communications mast at its substation at Cullenagh, Kilmeaden.
    Our group is very concerned that this mast will have a detrimental effect on the locality and on the local population (which includes a large number of young children), due to its adverse effects on the landscape and possible serious health implications.
    Our area already suffers from having our beautiful landscape blotted by the ESB substation and we are also well served by existing telecommunications dishes and other infrastructure in the area. Furthermore, this mast will be visible from local tourist amenities which may further damage the economy of the area.
    Our organisation is calling door-to-door in the area to inform people of this development and is holding a series of meetings in Ballyduff Community Centre in the coming weeks.
    We urge anyone who has an interest in the public health of people in this area to make their views known to the Waterford County Council, by the end of January at the latest.

Yours faithfully,
    Patricia Latham
    Caroline Quinn
    (On behalf of the Kilmeaden Anti-Mast Group)

http://www.munster-express.ie/letters-to-the-editor/communications-mast-for-esb-site-at-cullenagh-kilmeaden-2/

I'm a town planner and in my experience they're quite difficult to stop because all National Policy such as the NDP 2007-2013, the National Spatial Strategy and a few more pieces are all in favour of them!

If you'd like to know anything else, let me know!

Advertisement