Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam Results?

Options
  • 29-04-2011 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭

Hey, I failed two modules out of six in semester and am resitting them during this set of examinations and am quite confident of passing both but quite borderline with 2 other modules and could very easily fail them. Can anyone tell me if this would let me progress to stage 2 or show me where I can find this information because I have searched the UCD site and its not clear at all, In pre-med by the way. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rebecca1988

if you get E's, then you can compensate them i.e. progress to stage 2. Only if your gpa is 2.0 or above!

"E grades are failing grades, which have a grade point value of 1.6. These E
    grades may convert to P(C) (pass with compensation) only where you have
    completed and obtained passing grades in modules accounting for 75% or
    more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage (usually
    9 modules) and the compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage is 2.00
    or greater. Provisional E grades are then considered compensated and final
    grades of P(C) are awarded."

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Do you have to resit/repeat a module if you fail it or can you swap it for something else? Say I fail 2 in first year, Am I then doing 14 modules in 2nd year?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rebecca1988

Do you have to resit/repeat a module if you fail it or can you swap it for something else? Say I fail 2 in first year, Am I then doing 14 modules in 2nd year?

well if you get an F/NG and its a core module then you have to repeat/resit it. But if its not a core you can substitute it with a different one! but this costs more! yup 14, so 8 exams at xmas!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Remember though, if you get E's in more than 3 modules you wont be able to compensate. If they are electives or options they can be substituted next year, but that will mean taking up entirely new subjects on top of whatever you are doing next year. Also compensation is expensive as rebecca said, its circa 350 for arts subjects and considerably more for medical ones. I'm on my phone so can't link to it but if you look at the threads there is on about failing exams and ive linked to the prices in there.

Edit: In college now, here's the link:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fees_registration.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chrissy9021

Does anyone know if you can compensate in stage 2?

I'm in second year and compensated one module last year but my gpa is still 2.97.

I was praying that I could compensate one or two of my exams this semester cuz they were really **** but then heard that you can't compensate in 2nd year because 2nd and 3rd year are both stage 2? So if you fail this semester you won't find out if you can compensate them until the end of 3rd year and then have to do another semester to make up the credits? This doesn't make sense to me but it's freaking me out! Anyone know anything about this??

Hope that's not too confusing!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Does anyone know if you can compensate in stage 2?

I'm in second year and compensated one module last year but my gpa is still 2.97.

I was praying that I could compensate one or two of my exams this semester cuz they were really **** but then heard that you can't compensate in 2nd year because 2nd and 3rd year are both stage 2? So if you fail this semester you won't find out if you can compensate them until the end of 3rd year and then have to do another semester to make up the credits? This doesn't make sense to me but it's freaking me out! Anyone know anything about this??

Hope that's not too confusing!!
    Yeah, you can't compensate until the end of a stage. What course are you? In Arts, Stage 2 covers 2nd and 3rd year, so in that case you can't compensate until the end of 3rd year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Chrissy9021

Yea i'm in Arts second year. So does that mean that if I fail an exam this year I just fail it and definitely have to repeat it?? This sucks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No. If you get an E in it you can wait and compensate it (provided you meet the requirements) at the end of stage 2. However, if it is a pre-requisite for a core module that you have to do next year then you probably will have to repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

It makes more sense to do the resit, because the GPA for an E is 1.6 but for a passed resit it's 2.0 - the difference might be important for your final class of degree.

Advertisement