Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nasturtiums

Options
  • 29-04-2011 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi - I sowed a bunch of trailing and upright type nasturtiums recently. They are a bit leggy, maybe 6 inches. Is that normal? They were sown in modules outside so I can't see how they didn't have enough light. Can I bury the stems on nasturtums if necessary or will they be ok as is? Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't worry about it, just plant them, they will sort themselves out. Not a good idea to bury the stem. Nasturtiums do tend to sprawl a bit, though they must have been a bit shady or crowded as they don't grow as tall as that initially when they grow in the ground. The only problem is they may break off if there is strong wind.

You will have nasturtiums in your garden for ever once they have flowered!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Thanks Looksee. Yes they were in a fairly packed greenhouse so they were probably competing. Have them in full sun now. So they are a bit of a thug? Plan to put the normal type in some waste ground so happy to let them go. Hopefully can control the trailing types in baskets and troughs. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

looksee wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, just plant them, they will sort themselves out. Not a good idea to bury the stem. Nasturtiums do tend to sprawl a bit, though they must have been a bit shady or crowded as they don't grow as tall as that initially when they grow in the ground. The only problem is they may break off if there is strong wind.

You will have nasturtiums in your garden for ever once they have flowered!

Weeds!! Can't stand the smell of them even. The seeds blow everywhere too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a nice array of nasturtiums but they have all died off after the freeze. Not one left. I think they are great plants, edible flowers look great in salads and they can cover a multitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I had a nice array of nasturtiums but they have all died off after the freeze. Not one left. I think they are great plants, edible flowers look great in salads and they can cover a multitude!

They would have died anyway, they are annuals. But they probably dropped some seed, I would be surprised if you did not find a few of them in the garden.

I like them, they are so cheerful and careless. They can turn into a bit of a mulch if the soil is too rich, but they are lovely scrambling on a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Think they are a smashing plant also, , lovely flower and indeed edible leaves which are nice in a salad. Don't plant them where you don't want them to expand, cos that's what they do :P

Advertisement