Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to rehome 2 yr old cocker spaniel, male

• 29-04-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows of a good shelter that will re - home this family pet. My friends circumstances have changed and she can no longer care for him and needs to find a good home. He is in a kennell at the moment so the sooner the better. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

try dogs trust

http://www.dogstrust.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Cerocco wrote: »
    Hi All, just wondering if anyone knows of a good shelter that will re - home this family pet. My friends circumstances have changed and she can no longer care for him and needs to find a good home. He is in a kennell at the moment so the sooner the better. Thanks :)

why can she no longer care for him ? is it a money issue ? if it is the case that she is feeding him fancy food she could always switch to very very cheap food ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I never really believed in rehoming a pet, it has to be the absolute last resource and I believe there is ALWAYS a way around it. a pet is for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Her health has deteriated and she can no longer bring him for the long walks he needs, believe me it is with a heavy heart she is doing this and not as a result of finances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Where are you based? She should prob get him neutered aswell while waiting (if not already done).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Have you thought about maybe getting a dog walker?? This may help your friend keep the dog... and the dog gets excised etc... re-homing should be a very last resort..

best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

falabo wrote: »
    I never really believed in rehoming a pet, it has to be the absolute last resource and I believe there is ALWAYS a way around it. a pet is for life.

totally agree with you falabo... you never part with my cocker :rolleyes:

As I say it is a last resort so if anyone has any suggestions or experiences of rehoming societies or services it would be much appreciated. Thanks

where is the dog based? rehoming places all over the country, would be handy to know what area.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Can users please top questioning the OPs reasons for wanting to rehome the dog?
    They have already stated that there are health issues involved and that should be enough information in order for people to recommend a good rehoming agency.

• Advertisement

She is in the Dublin area, thanks again for any help you guys can give

ok so Dogs trust is do-able then for the dog.

personally if I had to rehome any of my dogs I would be calling Monaghanspca

http://www.monaghanspca.ie/

Is it a bit away but I have personal experience with them and they are excellent and have good facilities there too.....plus I found they are understanding about situations like this arising and will not treat you like you are dumping one of your children at the gate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Unfotunately most rescues are full to breaking point at the moment, so if the owner is willing to keep the dog until a home can be found, it would make things a lot easier.

Try Dogs Aid near the airport, they're great http://www.dogsaid.ie/

Dogs Trust again are out near the airport, fantastic organisation.

Dogs in Distress are based mainly around Dublin http://www.dogsindistress.org/

If you're in South Dublin, there is Ash in Wicklow http://www.ashanimalrescue.com/ash/

Also maybe put details of the dog, along with a photo up on Pets Ireland and Irishanimals.ie, but if the dog isn't neutered, please get it done before rehoming and do a homecheck to make sure the people that want the dog are who they say they are.

Advertisement