Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Action Cameras

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Depends on what you mean by "invest". If your budget stretches to €350, the best option for a mounted camera of any type is the GoPro Hero HD. It comes in an impact protection case, shoots in 1080p HD and has a good, ultra-wide angle lens to catch everything.
    The base unit is about €300, but there are several pack options around the €350 mark which give you the mounting clamps for the type you desire (motorsports version is a large suction cup, for example). Individually, these mounts are about €80-100, so it's a saving.

I haven't used them personally, but some friends of mine are avid snowboarders and have been using one for about a year. The video is pretty spectacular, both in quality and options (it can be set to record at 60 frames per second, for proper slow-motion video in 1080p instead of that fake slow-mo rubbish on editing programs).
    Since I've seen their videos, and the abuse they've put the through, I've been tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭Donnchadh1

I have a gopro and as NakedDex has said the quality footage you get from them is top class.
    I have a friend in the states that picked up a gopro hd for me which saved me bout €100.
    It came with 2 cases.one is water and windproof for recording in outdoors where sound isn't essential. The other is for days when you want sound and no worries about water.
    It also comes with 2 mount types.1 straight which mounts to the adhesive mounting plate.(there's 3 or 4 different shapes so you can stick to round objects)the other mount type is like an L shape so you can have the gopro out and away/back to you etc.

There is also a gopro that does not record in 1080p and is considerable cheaper and if I was to buy again I think id look in that direction. To work with footage shot in that def you need good fast editing equipment and also playback on certain devices will be s***e. I generally shot in 720p and it does for me.You can setup the gopro in different ways one which includes a still image to be taken at a certain interval(think its 30secs).gopro recently announced that they are releasing a rig that if you have 2 hd gopros it will allow you to film in 3d(imagine the bbs flying at you:-)

I've only used it once for airsoft and my own preference is mounted to my helmet and not playing in the game.I would think that mounted to a gun and playing would break the continuty of the footage.(up and down in cover etc.) I've used it for lots of mountain biking and whitewater kayaking and its great. The one thing I do find and what dex has pointed to with the wide angle is that stuff in the distance (ie the opposing team)are difficult to pick up on camera.(you'll see in the vid below)

here's two video one is the airsoft one and other is biking both mounted to helmet which might give you an idea of the gopro(you can bump it to 720p to have a look at quality)

Airsoft test
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUycYKp-8Pc

Mountain biking
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Sb6Dp78vf8

What its capable of doing in the right hands(sheer class)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aJzYioSDi4&feature=player_embedded

Hope this helps

D

Advertisement