Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disputing infraction by PDN

Options
  • 29-04-2011 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi, I posted in a thread in the christianity forum titled 'Does God chastise with storms and natural disasters?' and received another infraction with the reason given that I was a 'troll' by the moderator PDN. Nothing within my post was malicious to open minded people, nor can I see how it was in contravention of the category rules.

It seems the fact that I don't believe what PDN would like me to believe is the source of the infraction and I would like it rescinded please.

If the christians of this part of the forum don't want valid comment they should prevent their threads from appearing on the front page.

If it is the case that non believers are not allowed to comment on juvenile postulations in the christianity section can they please make this clear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hi chalkitdown,

looking at the thread, and your user history, you have an infraction for this post:
    PDN; your definition of troll is sadly lacking. If you don't want to accept comment please prevent these provocative and in my opinion, juvenile posts from appearing on the front page.

which followed a mod warning. That's arguing with moderation on thread, and is always going to get infracted.

The first post:
    If god causes mass destruction, murders millions and you support him with your beliefs, shouldn't you be ashamed of yourselves?

was deleted. Presumably your second post - the infracted one - was the result of PDN deleting your first post, and describing it as "atheist trolling".

My view of the first post is that the question is "fair and logical" in principle, but posting it so bluntly on a Christianity forum is trolling. You weren't infracted for it, rather it was deleted in order to prevent the inevitable rash of outraged responses.

I don't really see an issue here. You posted something that was bound to provoke outraged reactions, it was deleted, the mod issued a warning that you took offence at, and you argued with moderation on thread, resulting in an infraction. Pretty open and shut.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Hi chalkitdown,

looking at the thread, and your user history, you have an infraction for this post:

which followed a mod warning. That's arguing with moderation on thread, and is always going to get infracted.

The first post:

was deleted. Presumably your second post - the infracted one - was the result of PDN deleting your first post, and describing it as "atheist trolling".

My view of the first post is that the question is "fair and logical" in principle, but posting it so bluntly on a Christianity forum is trolling. You weren't infracted for it, rather it was deleted in order to prevent the inevitable rash of outraged responses.

I don't really see an issue here. You posted something that was bound to provoke outraged reactions, it was deleted, the mod issued a warning that you took offence at, and you argued with moderation on thread, resulting in an infraction. Pretty open and shut.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

It was my understanding that I was infracted for the first post, since I was actually infracted for the second post I have no argument. The posts crossed quickly leading to my confusion about the infraction.

On the point of trolling, I comment on many threads that I access from the latest posts page. The OP of the thread asked a question to which I replied with a question.

If the christian forum is not willing to accept posts from 'outsiders', they shouldn't be shown on the latest posts page or should at least be restricted in some way.

Posters should not be expected to tippy toe around and couch things with a rosier glow just because it may offend some. Surely PDN's view and comment could have been in reply to the post rather than summarily deleting it?

Thank you for moderating,

Chalkitdown

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It was my understanding that I was infracted for the first post, since I was actually infracted for the second post I have no argument. The posts crossed quickly leading to my confusion about the infraction.

On the point of trolling, I comment on many threads that I access from the latest posts page. The OP of the thread asked a question to which I replied with a question.

If the christian forum is not willing to accept posts from 'outsiders', they shouldn't be shown on the latest posts page or should at least be restricted in some way.

Posters should not be expected to tippy toe around and couch things with a rosier glow just because it may offend some. Surely PDN's view and comment could have been in reply to the post rather than summarily deleting it?

Thank you for moderating,

Chalkitdown

No problem. My understanding with respect to the Christianity forum is that they have no policy of preventing posts by 'outsiders', but that they consider the primary purpose of the forum to be discussion of Christianity from a Christian perspective, which means that a non-Christian needs to be respectful to be sure of not running into issues.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thanks. Closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement