Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA from FETAC 6 to level 7 course

Options
  • 29-04-2011 5:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi all:)
    At the moment Im getting BTEA for FETAC level 6 course which will finish in next 2 weeks. This course is linked with IT so I can use advanced entry and start from the 2nd year.
    My question is will I be still able to apply for BTEA? Recenly I got a job for the summer time (till end of september) so will that disqualifiy me from BTEA for the next year? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

No, it won't, I did it last year (went from level 6 foundation to level 7 and worked in the summer).

However, best start saving as much as you can, as you do have to reapply for the BTEA as you're progressing from one course to the next and it takes forever, since they have to re-approve you for Jobseekers before they process your BTEA claim once you start back in college. I was waiting until mid November before I got paid last year. I did get a lovely big lodgement into my bank account after that with all my back payments though, so you're not losing out as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

Thanks Blueprint:)

But I believe that I have to be on Jobseeker benefit while working? or am I able to work full time without getting any welfare allowance and still reapply for BTEA?

No, you can work full time and sign off fully from the dole for the summer. That's what I did. As long as you got BTEA this year and are progressing, you're entitled to get it again. The only drawback is the long wait for it to kick back in again once you leave your work and resume college.

ok, thanks.
    I dont know what to do now. I visited social yesterday and they told me that I will be only entitled for BTEA again if I will be claiming jobseeker benefit in the summer time :confused: I dont know what to think now:( I dont what go for jobseeker benefit because then my hours of work would have to be reduced to 3 days only (which I dont want to happen because I got a great opportunity to work full time for couple of months...).

I though that I will be entitle for BTEA for next year no problem just as you said. So I got really shocked when they told me that only if I will be back on jobseeker benefit again.

What do you think I should do ywith this???? because I wont be able go further study fi I wont be able to get BTEA again and I dont what lose my full time hours as well (as we know its so hard now to get them)

I have heard of people being told this before, but it's obviously not true as I got it again after working. There seems to be a lot of ignorance on the part of social welfare employees on this one. You could try and call the Back to Education head office directly. I have to admit I was quite nervous about it until I finally got it again last year!

This is what's on the website:

BTEA participants who are progressing to the next year of their course or who are progressing in second level or third level undergraduate qualifications will have their BTEA reinstated from the commencement of the new academic year irrespective of whether they were in receipt of an unemployment payment for the summer period. All participants must supply written confirmation from school/college/institute that they have registered as a full-time day student for the new academic year.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/OperationalGuidelines/Pages/bte_all.aspx#3.3

• Advertisement

thanks for this info:) I applied for BTEA first time 2 years ago when I did FETAC level 5 course ( before I was 6 months on JA). Im doing now FETAC level 6 (last summer I was on JB) and from september I want go for level 7 means that Im able for BTEA again as im progressing with my education hmmm:rolleyes: I have to go back to them and I will give them this info about BTEA, I hope that they will confirm it.
    Thanks again for your help blueprint:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corkweb

Any update on this, isabell?

Hi corkweb
    No not yet, I am extremely busy with work at the moment. But I will visit welfare office next week so I will let you know what is the story with my BTEA:)

Advertisement