Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMESTOP how very dare you!!!

Options
  • 29-04-2011 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭

was in gamestop and tried to return an unopened copy of mortal kombat that i got in the trade 3 games and pay 3 euro deal for a preorder of brink instead. guy was VERY RUDE behind the counter and started ranting calling me a TRADER???? FFS how sad is it when gamestop head office brand their customers as traders and put a negative vibe with the staff and management to anyone taking advantage of the offers that THEY put in place?

manager of the store told me gamestop copped on to guys on boards and have been monitoring boards for the last week to try and eliminate us boards users taking advantage of gamestop..

same manager told me he is a mod here???? when i asked his username he refused to tell me point blank so i dont believe him that he is a mod here. dont get me wrong he is dead sound really nice guy and this isnt an attack on gamestop staff its only head office im getting thick with.

obviously gamestop put the offers in place trade 3 games and 3 euro for a new release to get stock levels higher for new stores they are opening, not to do us any favours..

tbh when it came to buying or trading in a shop i would always have used gamestop but now when my preorders are collected ill be shopping elsewhere as i was so embarrassed having been called aside instore and being talked to like i was some sort of evil criminal it was so embarrassing when other customers stared at me as the assistant manager had a head on him and was so blunt saying we will give you value of 3 games back nothing else etc!!!

SO NOW GAMESTOP IF YOUR LOOKING THROUGH BOARDS READ THIS YOU ARE A TERRIBLE COMPANY TAKING ADVANTAGE OF US GAMERS AND I HOPE THIS HIGHLIGHTS WHAT YOU ARE REALLY LIKE!!!!!!!

please discuss guys if this has happened you?

thanks,

D-K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dislike gamestop immensely, and try to get a dig in wherever possible when i write about them for reasons just like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Never had problems with my local Gamestop, avoid that one if they're being assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

So the guy behind the counter called you a "trader"? ...Is that it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Sounds ridiculous alright, were you trading it in or getting a refund? You bought the game using one of their own offers and it's yours to trade in if that's what you want, wasn't like they were doing you some massive personal favour by giving you that deal in the first place. Just trade it in at HMV/GAME or something instead. Or just remove the packaging and walk into another gamestop (or the same one at another time) and trade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

what did you want, the 3 games and money back or the full price of the game?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Varik wrote: »
    what did you want, the 3 games and money back or the full price of the game?

They have a promo on at the moment, trade in 3 games and get a game for €3. http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/Trade%20in%20500%20titles%20Euro.pdf.

I bought Portal 2 for €3 using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭tommy89

I dont bother with gamestop either. Always find they have a couple of extra euros on games compared to HMV, tesco or extra vision. I dont be trading games much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

I'm confused...Did you want €3 back or did you want what it would have cost someone without the deal - i.e. €45? Was Brink on a deal list?

If not, and if it was the latter, then I would agree with the manager (uh oh, I'm a mod :D)

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Sometimes their offers are taken advantage of, i remember the 30 euro for your old games deal they ran had people travelling all over the town picking up games for a tenner and trading them for 30 making 20 euro profit. Even buying up a number of the same game.

In this case i can't see the problem as long as the Mortal Kombat was unopened they should exchange it for you. That is usually the policy of game stores.

Lesson learnt head somewhere else from now on, plenty of other options out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Caught rotten.

No, he's probably not a mod here, but that doesn't make a difference. You were taking advantage of the offer, and I'm delighted you got caught, to be honest.

You've been telling everyone on here for 2 weeks to go get a game for €3, immediately trade it back in, and get credit for a pre-order. You know what you could have done? Just actually pre-ordered the damn game and brought in your used games on release day. Less hassle for Gamestop, less hassle for you, and no embarrassing talks from the manager.

You were called a trader, because you are a trader. You never had any intentions of playing Mortal Kombat, and you were too impatient to wait 2 weeks to get Brink. Oh, and you posted this publicly, so you can't deny it.

1. I'd like to see you boycott Gamestop. Good luck with that.

2. Haha! I love how clearly Gamestop are taking advantage of you. I mean, how DARE they offer you cheap new games? Frankly, I'd rather they went back to the old system, and offered me 80 cent credit for a recent game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    They have a promo on at the moment, trade in 3 games and get a game for €3. http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/Trade%20in%20500%20titles%20Euro.pdf.

I bought Portal 2 for €3 using this.

I get that, i wanted to know what he expected to get if he got his way when returning the game that had been gotten with the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

Varik wrote: »
    I get that, i wanted to know what he expected to get if he got his way when returning the game that had been gotten with the deal.

OP said he got a pre-order copy of Mortal Kombat after he bought on the 3 games + €3 deal - while it was still unopened he went back to the store to give that game back and get Brink on pre-order instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

was in gamestop and tried to return an unopened copy of mortal kombat that i got in the trade 3 games and pay 3 euro deal

D-K
    Could have sworn you "got new mortal kombat game on play for 35 delivered wink.gif"

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71809953&postcount=2240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Could have sworn you "got new mortal kombat game on play for 35 delivered wink.gif"

i was just about to post that till i got to the last comment

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hmmm all this smells like dirty dipper...

If I would get a game and return it like this to local gamestop I bet 100% lads would do it for me. They know me for 6 years, they know I wount be ****ing around...

Did you had check? Or you just came over and decided to do a trade? I don't remember you being very exited about mk...

Somehow I have a feeling that you wanted to take gamestop for a ride and got cought...

As for gamestop knowing about plans in boards.ie to take them over... Hmmmmm it's public... Plus don't remember us planing something sinister... We just used the deal the way it was ment.

If I remember there was some **** with metroid. Someone was blaming how cheap 3ds ended up for him...

If gamestop employe reading this, then mallow shop is best! Got 2x360s, wii, psp, ps3 and all new releases in last 6 years! Those lads deserve a raise. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Plus don't remember us planing something sinister...

Meet us round the back in fifteen minute. Make sure you're not being followed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

deathrider wrote: »
    Meet us round the back in fifteen minute. Make sure you're not being followed :P

Good good, I'll bring fork and rubber duck. Password is "ilikepie"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

D-K, how very dare you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sounds a bit bizarre. What difference is it to Gamestop whether you use the deal for MK or a preorder of Brink. Once MK was unopened, I don't understand why they wouldn't trade it for the preorder?

It's not like you were looking for a full price refund or anything?

I know lot's of people dislike Gamestop but I have always done well out of their deals... including getting a PS3 for €41 a couple of years ago which was savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Got it on play afterwards have not played it check my gamertag

• Advertisement

Have not had time to play mk!!! I traded 3 games and 3 euro for it what's the big deal???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

If gamestop are getting egg on their face with these deals then it's there own fault.

I mean if you can source 3 games from the list of 500 for buttons then isn't that their fault for

a) not researching the prices in competitors shops
    b) being way over priced on the majority of their own stock of used games in the 1st place!!!!!

Today I was up at home, saw a used copy of vanquish going for 30 odd quid and only across from it in HMV it was 11.99 new, now that was an exception granted, but there were countless used titles 2 or more years old priced over €20

/Puts tin foil hat on

Picked up 2 games on the list for the €3 deal for a 5er each earlier in xtravision that I'll be giving to gamestop to sell on for 15-20 each
    (I checked their price on those 2) :D

Anyway ....... I think they have themselves covered with a "at managers discretion" on the printed list in small print in the bottom.

Got it on play afterwards have not played it check my gamertag
    Confusing. Care to elaborate?

Have not had time to play mk!!! I traded 3 games and 3 euro for it what's the big deal???
    So you had two copies of MK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

calex71 wrote: »
    If gamestop are getting egg on their face with these deals then it's there own fault.

I mean if you can source 3 games from the list of 500 for buttons then isn't that their fault for

a) not researching the prices in competitors shops
    b) being way over priced on the majority of their own stock of used games in the 1st place!!!!!

Today I was up at home, saw a used copy of vanquish going for 30 odd quid and only across from it in HMV it was 11.99 new, now that was an exception granted, but there were countless used titles 2 or more years old priced over €20

Anyway ....... I think they have themselves covered with a "at managers discretion" on the printed list in small print in the bottom.

This.

Its not the first time gamestop have run this kind of deal and got stung. Its completely their own fault.

So the guy behind the counter called you a "trader"? ...Is that it?

Yes and no really the head office of Gamestop using the term trader to describe anyone trying to maximise the advantage they get from their offers as if they are indeed doing something terrible or wrong like robbing the shop

Confusing. Care to elaborate?

Yes I got the offer online then seen I had games to trade so picked up the 2!

Then went back to Gamestop to swap the mk game for a preorder of brink or any title really and I basically got abused by assistant manager! And really felt I was made an example of infront of other customers!

I'm 28 years of age not 16 and spotty I refuse to be spoken down to by any shop staff or manager!

I spend good hard earned money in that store!!!

Shop was tallaght btw! And I have seen the same manager talking to local teens like they are ****!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DjKlubster

Then went back to Gamestop to swap the mk game for a preorder of brink or any title really and I basically got abused by assistant manager! And really felt I was made an example of infront of other customers!

I'm 28 years of age not 16 and spotty I refuse to be spoken down to by any shop staff or manager!

Shop was tallaght btw! And I have seen the same manager talking to local teens like they are ****!!!!!!!!

Tell him to Fu** Off!!! Id Give him a awful Earfull... Its not As if ya have to listen to him??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

i for one found the staff in stephens green sound enough and were interested. Have to say the staff in game in dawson street are all really helpful to, shame i rarely buy anything and always just browse.

Anyway, DK, the 2 gamestops i went into werent accepting the trade on preorders,. I think brink and la noire where on the poster, but i thought they werent part of the deal.

On the one hand the manner of addressing you not sound, but they probably have themself well covered legally for exchanges on special offers and are within their rights unless its faulty.

• Advertisement

Much clearer now.
    It does seem odd that they would stop you swapping the game that they gave you as part of the deal, for a preorder of a game in the same offer.

Although it does boggle the mind why you would get a second copy of a game that you had already bought online.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement