Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMESTOP how very dare you!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

I am never going to buy from gamestop again after they told me that game ratings fall under the same law as movies and alcohol. Thank god for amazon.co.uk :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Trevor451 wrote: »
    I am never going to buy from gamestop again after they told me that game ratings fall under the same law as movies and alcohol. Thank god for amazon.co.uk :)

Would they not sell you a game so? Not enough shops impose that any people, in particular those who are obviously not of age to play certain games. Theyre covering their own ass, even if theyre losing a sale

• Registered Users Posts: 83,319 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

So, in summary...

You were abusing the trade-in offer.
    You were caught abusing the trade in offer.
    You took offence to being called a trader, a term gamestop have come up with for people abusing the offer.
    And you were so mortified by being caught out that you deemed it necessary to start a thread on boards denouncing the evils of Gamestop.

Right.
    If Gamestop wants to leave themselves open to the abuse, that's their fault. Someone will always take advantage.

Like other posters have said, if they are going to value a trade-in of Hello Kitty Island Adventure (New) for $30 store credit, and HMV is across the street selling Hello Kitty Island Adventure (New) for $15, you can bet your ass someone is going to walk in to HMV, deliver the product to Gamestop, and net $15 (in store credit) for the product. That's business. You've just taken the Time, to perform a Stocking Service for Gamestop, and gotten paid for it. It's Their Fault if they have an open door policy that says they will take every copy of Hello Kitty Island Adventure they can get their mitts on for $30 store credit. Just like it's my fault if I buy Hello Kitty Island Adventure for $45 retail at Gamestop instead of buying it for $15 at HMV.

Gamestop is a big company that requires no sympathy here. They are usually smart about how little value they put on a trade-in to avoid this kind of worthless product-pushing but it's their own fault if they leave themselves open to it. Treat the Mortal Kombat like you see it, grin and bear it, and whine to your corporate bosses, don't complain to your customers about your Boss's loophole.

What are the numbers on that anyway? They got 3 used games off you basically and you got Mortal Kombat. You changed your mind and got Brink. Big ****ing deal? Was that worth pissing off a customer who would otherwise come in and buy hudnreds of euro of other products throughout the year? I work in retail. If I spend half an hour helping a guy with a $50 something and give him the time and respect, he's probably coming back in a couple months to buy a new computer. If I brush them off or treat someone as insignificant because they have a question about $10 worth of screen wipes how do I know they aren't also going to follow up and ask me about spending $5000 on a new TV? If I piss them off, they're going across the street. Similarly why nickname your customer ("grazer" "trader" doesnt matter) and throw away good business? You don't know, he could have come back tomorrow wanting a kinect bundle and 5 games. Instead, he's not coming back now; he's on boards giving you, your store, and your company Bad word of mouth. GG n00b.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I would never Pre Order and trade in anything.

You would get 50 cent for a game you paid 50 euro for it the day before.

I'm joking about the 50cent but you get my meaning

As for preordering games the store you are getting it off is making a killing in Interest for length of time till the game comes out so I would never to pre order.

And talking about why I would never deal with game stop much is because call of duty 2 on the x box 360 is the best game ever and I rang around all the stores one said city centre has it so went in and they said we have it he went in the back and heard another member of staff in the back with him say don't give that out and your man comes out and says oh the disc is very scratched.

Sometimes their offers are taken advantage of, i remember the 30 euro for your old games deal they ran had people travelling all over the town picking up games for a tenner and trading them for 30 making 20 euro profit. Even buying up a number of the same game.

I remember when that deal was on. I got €30 for trading in Crash of the Titans on PSP. The guy behind the till was amazed at how much was being offered for such a crappy game.

I was also in Harvey Norman that same week and there was a man, with the full list of gamestop €30 trade ins, rummaging through the basket of €9,99 games. he found a good few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

I have to agree with overheal, its business at the end of the day. If Gamespot dont care to take the time to iron out the flaws of there offer then thats their fault and the public have the right to exploit it. No one is doing anything wrong and in fact i think its bad form on Gamespot to go pointing fingers at people who are wise enough to take advantage. I dislike Gamespot, iv rarely come across staff that were knowledgeable or friendly. Just college students looking to earn a few quid. Not my idea of how a video game store should be run. Dont get me wrong im sure there are branches that have great staff but iv yet to find one.

Overheal wrote: »
    If Gamestop wants to leave themselves open to the abuse, that's their fault. Someone will always take advantage.

Like other posters have said, if they are going to value a trade-in of Hello Kitty Island Adventure (New) for $30 store credit, and HMV is across the street selling Hello Kitty Island Adventure (New) for $15, you can bet your ass someone is going to walk in to HMV, deliver the product to Gamestop, and net $15 (in store credit) for the product. That's business. You've just taken the Time, to perform a Stocking Service for Gamestop, and gotten paid for it. It's Their Fault if they have an open door policy that says they will take every copy of Hello Kitty Island Adventure they can get their mitts on for $30 store credit. Just like it's my fault if I buy Hello Kitty Island Adventure for $45 retail at Gamestop instead of buying it for $15 at HMV.

Gamestop is a big company that requires no sympathy here. They are usually smart about how little value they put on a trade-in to avoid this kind of worthless product-pushing but it's their own fault if they leave themselves open to it. Treat the Mortal Kombat like you see it, grin and bear it, and whine to your corporate bosses, don't complain to your customers about your Boss's loophole.

What are the numbers on that anyway? They got 3 used games off you basically and you got Mortal Kombat. You changed your mind and got Brink. Big ****ing deal? Was that worth pissing off a customer who would otherwise come in and buy hudnreds of euro of other products throughout the year? I work in retail. If I spend half an hour helping a guy with a $50 something and give him the time and respect, he's probably coming back in a couple months to buy a new computer. If I brush them off or treat someone as insignificant because they have a question about $10 worth of screen wipes how do I know they aren't also going to follow up and ask me about spending $5000 on a new TV? Similarly why nickname your customer ("grazer" "trader" doesnt matter) and throw away good business? You don't know, he could have come back tomorrow wanting a kinect bundle and 5 games. Instead, he's not coming back now; he's on boards giving you, your store, and your company Bad word of mouth. GG n00b.

He is giving the store bad press, but many are sticking up dor gamestop (not the store), and the agreement is NO TRADES. so i cant take my crysis 2 that i got in the deal and swap it for KZ 3 or portal 2. Thats fair enough, if he hasnt read the small print he cant have too many complaints. Caveat Emptor and all that. Conditions are laid out and the company has covered themself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

The way i see it is that if a company is stupid enough to put themselves in a position that they are losing money due to some silly deal, then they fully deserve everything they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

What are the numbers on that anyway? They got 3 used games off you basically and you got Mortal Kombat. You changed your mind and got Brink. Big ****ing deal? Was that worth pissing off a customer who would otherwise come in and buy hudnreds of euro of other products throughout the year? I work in retail. If I spend half an hour helping a guy with a $50 something and give him the time and respect, he's probably coming back in a couple months to buy a new computer. If I brush them off or treat someone as insignificant because they have a question about $10 worth of screen wipes how do I know they aren't also going to follow up and ask me about spending $5000 on a new TV? If I piss them off, they're going across the street. Similarly why nickname your customer ("grazer" "trader" doesnt matter) and throw away good business? You don't know, he could have come back tomorrow wanting a kinect bundle and 5 games. Instead, he's not coming back now; he's on boards giving you, your store, and your company Bad word of mouth. GG n00b.
    I'm not blaming him for abusing it. I would do and have done the same myself to similar offers. Arbitrage shouldn't exist in a perfect market and when it does it should be exploited until it's not possible any more.

I just don't see the point in starting a thread whining about being caught out. The risks were there- the "managers discretion" policy is a bit of a free for all excuse to cover their backs. They're using the word "trader" as a term for people who abuse the offer, I really don't see a problem with it. It describes someone like me who would never use Gamestop unless their was a bargain such as this.

Not all of these traders provide "good business" - the offer is a bit of a loss leader to rope in potential new customers but then there's people who just exploit it and are just loss making for the term of the offer. Why shouldn't Gamestop try and prevent anti-selection? And do you really think that this is going to cost them much? Erm no. No sympathy in this case as he was caught out abusing the system. Suck it up.

Anyway, my main argument was not that the exploitation was wrong but that the whining about being caught out with the risks there in clear view is a bit OTT.

Pointless thread is pointless.

Weepsie wrote: »
    He is giving the store bad press, but many are sticking up dor gamestop (not the store), and the agreement is NO TRADES. so i cant take my crysis 2 that i got in the deal and swap it for KZ 3 or portal 2. Thats fair enough, if he hasnt read the small print he cant have too many complaints. Caveat Emptor and all that. Conditions are laid out and the company has covered themself.
    I don't understand why that matters though. MK and Portal 2 for instance when on sale the same time and had the same deal. Why aren't they interchangeable? Fine if they did cover themselves, but it sounds asinine to me. Thing is they are making Revenue on the 3 games (on a specific, hand picked list of eligible games for the promotion) that you traded in, and they make great revenue on pre-owned... so I don't understand why handling a never-used product is such a concern for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I think the OP got treated unfairly by the staff by the sounds of it. The only time I use Gamestop is for taking advantage of their "offers" such as this :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

very funny thread.

it's lot like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aspp1r0tS4 but instead of rebel scum it's 'you trader scum'

when i hear 'trader' i'm picturing you as that merchant from Res Evi 4.
    Here's a funny skit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oXx0qwe0wc&feature=fvwrel

Also having worked in game and bought alot of games in general i find gamestop to be far superior, stores are a bit cramped for space though.

they'd sink your battleship, end world hunger and have time to get you a sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

First thread in a while I had to read every post before making mine. I bet dollars to doughnuts if the OP was quietly refused (with an explanation) there'd be no hard feelings at all and this thread wouldn't exist. The crux of why this post was made is it sounds like DK was verbally harassed and hung out to dry by an angry manager on a trolling-level rant; which is completely unacceptable in every facet of profession, be it retail or otherwise.

I really don't wish to encite but it seems like he called you out on what you were doing, i.e. trading :o albeit in an extremely rude manner, which is 100% wrong.

I imagine you should keep these points in your back pocket when doing something like this again : (don't raise your voice)

1) There's a recession on if you haven't noticed. I'm not an idiot, I frequent whichever shop gives me the best customer service and price. Please do not raise your voice at me.

2) How dare you raise your voice, I'm not a teenager who will take this abuse. You rape Games Companies by selling and trading second hand games, who are you to judge? [feel free to use a synonym for rape]

3) What is your name? I wish to make a formal complaint to your betters.

===========

Anyway, I hope you're sufficiently browned off to never shop in GameStop again. I was given extremely poor customer services in Peats/PC World over 5 years ago and have never given them a cent since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

dor83 wrote: »
    If Brink is on the deal could you not just take your 3 games back and then use them to get Brink?
    /thread

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

I don't understand why that matters though. MK and Portal 2 for instance when on sale the same time and had the same deal. Why aren't they interchangeable? Fine if they did cover themselves, but it sounds asinine to me. Thing is they are making Revenue on the 3 games (on a specific, hand picked list of eligible games for the promotion) that you traded in, and they make great revenue on pre-owned... so I don't understand why handling a never-used product is such a concern for them.

Yeah, but if the first transaction to get Mortal Kombat is completed, and there's no problem with it other than the OP not wanting it any more, then that's not Gamestop's problem. The product isn't defective, it's what he wanted, the game was his, the end.

When he went back to the shop they're under no obligation to act as if it the exchange was a continuation of the original transaction. As such, he was told that even if it was in the sealed package it was still a standalone trade-in title if he brought it back.

From the sounds of things the customer service was far from ideal. But it also sounds like Dark-Knight was chancing his arm just a little bit.

I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. It's obviously to do with the terms of the trade-in offer from the original deal. If you bought a new release for cash full price and go back with the product still unopened and seek credit against a pre-order you'd imagine there'd be no issue there.

Gamestop is eating their cake and having it - but I'd guess they're within their rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 phant0m

I hate GameStop as much as the next man, but when they have trade-in offers like this, why abuse it? Why not just get a game you want and be happy with that? Way to much hassle shopping around for games that aren't already in your collection just to take advantage of an offer if you ask me.

Well, the deal stipulation (cant bring it back, even to trade it for a game in the same deal) is really bogus, and it fairly boggles my mind.

With that said, can't a manager just explain their policy and leave it at that? I mean (if he did) would you really have to go and make an issue about it, going as far as to treat your customer like they have criminal intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

THATS THE THING THEY ARE NOT SHOWING SNALLPRINT ANYWHERE i couldnt rehave read it even if i wanted to!!

Well, the deal stipulation (cant bring it back, even to trade it for a game in the same deal) is really bogus, and it fairly boggles my mind.

With that said, can't a manager just explain their policy and leave it at that? I mean (if he did) would you really have to go and make an issue about it, going as far as to treat your customer like they have criminal intent?
    overheal i agree 100%..

this is a case of gamestop having no respect for the customers coming through the door. maybe i was chancing my arm to return the game for a different game in the offer but nowhere instore or online could i read the t and c!!

apart from the fact that i buy i would say 50 to 60 % of my games in gamestop this is one title where they said ok we are sticking to their guns and saying you cant return the game and thats that, but instead they made me feel uncomfortable and had about three customers seeing a manager with a big red face on him obviously isnt good for their business. the other customers looked uncomfortable seeing this.

look i dont give a damn about the company gamestop but they set their stall out having offers in place where you can buy a used game for 5 euro then trade 3 copies for a new release and it will cost you in total 18 euro for a new game.

REMEMBER THIS DEAL IS TO FILL STORE SHELVES FOR BALBRIGGAN ETC so they will get more out of this than anyone else trust me..

they have lost me as a customer i have about 3 games paid off in full as i traded a dsixl instore and when i get my games i will not be frequenting their store again.

on a side note i am emailing them today re this and i will provide a link to this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

As much as you cam hate gamestop, this offer was god semt to gamers.

Ofc when they had in mind this deal they naively thought that gamers will trade in theyr old games they stuck with and get the ball rolling.

They did not expected Irish gamers to take gamestop for such ride.

I personally traded in 2 times my old ps3 games. I switched to xbox anyway. Not a fan of trading in stuff too. I newer looked game for cheaper games to trade in etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

God i hate gamestop only ever buy stuff from there if its my last option.Everyone behind the counter thinks they know everything i had a shouting match one time with one who said i could not play PS2 games on my PS3 even though it was the lanch PS3 that could he was telling me to bring in all my PS2 games and trade them in i had to walk out of the shop cause i nearly blow my top.After that in an other gamestop i asked if they had any of the .hack games they looked at me like a fool and said we don't sell leads.How dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

THATS THE THING THEY ARE NOT SHOWING SNALLPRINT ANYWHERE i couldnt rehave read it even if i wanted to!!
    Actually, it's online, and I can only assume that it's on the flyers in-store, too

http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/Trade%20in%20500%20titles%20Euro.pdf

"No cash alternative. No multiples. No dealers. No trade. Trades are subject to manager approval"

If your going to capitalise, youre as good as shouting at me. which is quite rude. Anyway thesmall print is on the flyer, on the website and on some of the posters.

Off er runs until close of business 26th May. Trade-ins must be in full working condition to receive the full value. No cash alternative. No multiples. No dealers. No trade. Trades are subject to manager approval.

Now I can deduce that that means no exchanges for something else in the deal, which any reasonable adult should be able to do, so to claim the small print is not there is false

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Off er runs until close of business 26th May. Trade-ins must be in full working condition to receive the full value. No cash alternative. No multiples. No dealers. No trade. Trades are subject to manager approval.

Now I can deduce that that means no exchanges for something else in the deal, which any reasonable adult should be able to do, so to claim the small print is not there is false

No trade.

Trades are subject to manager approval.

Yep, makes perfect sense alright.

OP, report the fact you were singled out for a personal attack to Gamestop HQ, they probably won't be too pleased with that store manager, who was, whatever the small print of the deal, totally out of order.

It does make perfect sense, no exchange would be better word to use, but its an easy conclusion to come to as to what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Nollog

You have no rights under the Sale of Goods Act if you simply change your mind about wanting the goods. You also have no rights if faults are due to misuse of the product after purchase, or if faults should have been seen on examination or were pointed out at the time of purchase.
    :'(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Why would anyone ever want to trade any of their games in?

Are you not hoarders like myself? I couldn't part with my precious games collection . . . no matter the offer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

It does make perfect sense, no exchange would be better word to use, but its an easy conclusion to come to as to what it means.

If it said 'no exchange' immediately followed by 'exchanges subject to manager approval', I have to admit I'd still find it hideously worded and quite contradictory.

Healium wrote: »
    Actually, it's online, and I can only assume that it's on the flyers in-store, too

http://www.gamestop.ie/locale/statics/Trade%20in%20500%20titles%20Euro.pdf

"No cash alternative. No multiples. No dealers. No trade. Trades are subject to manager approval"
    Ok I missed it online. Anything I seen instore said t and c apply... Thats it!

Can I ask helium do you work in Gamestop? Your making it your business to be very vocal here saying I was basically doing wrong and you were happy by your first post?

Just wondering??? Seems odd you seriously favouring Gamestop so much? I'm sure they have wiped your behind for you instore judging by the way your so defensive of Gamestop?

• Advertisement

Very vocal?? he has made 2 posts and a couple of thanks, he made some perfectly good points. Your own attitude has hardly been perfect, and at dismissive and borderline offensive.

If this i your attitude, and you are resorting to mild bullying (ever so mild) and a form of forum shouting.

As I said before, the managers attitude stunk, but I've begun to question how reasonable you were yourself judging by some of the posts here. I worked in retail before in a previous life, the customer is not always right remember.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement