Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card

Options
  • 29-04-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

I have ordered an ati radeon 4650 as a budget upgrade for my old pc. At the time i neglected to check my pc's psu but i figured as its a pretty cheap card it wouldn't need to much power. Unfortunately now i have found out that the card needs 400w whereas my psu is max 300w. Any chance at all of it working?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

that's just recommended, you might just scrape along. If not, a PSU upgrade might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bacon and Cabbage

Cheers VenomIreland. Could i do any damage by trying it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I've never heard of anyone damaging anything by not supplying enough power, but you may want to wait for someone else to advise as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

i imagine it will do 1 of 2 things. the PC wont boot, (you wont get any video display at all but all the lights on the mobo etc will be on) or it might boot but as soon as you try anything intensive graphically, gaming or something, the PC will just crash.

if neither of those happens, you should be in the clear, but that said, you'd possibly be working that old PSU very hard and it might not live for long...

a good 450W PSU wont be much more than €40, so consider upgrading it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Small possiblitiy of blowing the psu and taking your whole pc with it if that happens, i've experienced this with an old pc before :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

deceit wrote: »
    Small possiblitiy of blowing the psu and taking your whole pc with it if that happens, i've experienced this with an old pc before :P

Likewise :o 'Cept I only lost the motherboard

That being said, the 4650 should only pull about 50-55W while gaming, it'll be fine, if the other components in the system aren't too power hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭The Omen 666

it was a few years ago now but i found that not supplying enough power ended in getting artifacts onscreen when doing anything intensive, often fine till i tried gaming and then shed loads of artifacts...

also i assume Manufacturers overestimate to a certain extent so shouldnt think it would need to be bang on but very close

Advertisement