Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying people in the library!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

What actually happened?

Flash mob organised on facebook, people come to to see flash mob but no-one actually does anything. Que lots of people standing around, was a strange sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

People who leave their stuff for ages when its really busy are awful. I did it myself earlier for half an hour, but being gone for over an hour is just not on imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

many free seats in there now?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

The state of the area outside the library; how was it decided that the cleaners should have the weekend off? Absolute tip; coffee cups and sweet wrappers everywhere. The ramp down to 911 looks like a gutter who would see in Bombay. Filthy.

Don't blame the cleaners for that! You'd think the bright individuals who attend UCD would have the common sense not to behave like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

gamgsam wrote: »
    Don't blame the cleaners for that! You'd think the bright individuals who attend UCD would have the common sense not to behave like children.

All the bins are full as they haven't been emptied so there's no immediate place to put rubbish. A lot of people are trying to stuff their rubbish in or leave it beside the bin and the wind is sending it all flying.
    I know you can say bring your rubbish away and dispose of it elsewhere and that is fair enough but get off your high horse saying that people are behaving like children.
    The place is a disgrace. Saw some library staff out earlier taking photos of how bad it has gotten.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

gamgsam wrote: »

Obviously you weren't even there because every single bin was overflowing. What exactly can people do since you cannot bring a coffee cup into the library. There was no option but to leave rubbish next to the bins but then the wind blew it over. I wasn't blaming the cleaners I was blaming the bright individuals who wrote the roster for the weekend

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

I've never seen the library as packed as today. At 9.10am the queue was out the door by the lake all the way back to the door of the Tierney building!

There were hardly any free 'normal' desks, never mind desks with plugs (at around 11am onwards). How come it wasn't nearly this busy at Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

I've never seen the library as packed as today. At 9.10am the queue was out the door by the lake all the way back to the door of the Tierney building!

There were hardly any free 'normal' desks, never mind desks with plugs (at around 11am onwards). How come it wasn't nearly this busy at Christmas?

Combination of all other libraries being closed and exams starting tomorrow, couldnt believe there weren't even any normal desks left how many study spaces does the JJ library have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Offside wrote: »
    Combination of all other libraries being closed and exams starting tomorrow, couldnt believe there weren't even any normal desks left how many study spaces does the JJ library have?

I think I remember being told/hearing somewhere that it has a capacity of something like 2,000 study spaces.

EDIT: Including all the libraries there are ~3,000 reading and study spaces.

http://www.ucd.ie/ucdtoday/1007_october_07/UCD%20Today%20Oct%2007%206-7.pdf

Also, according to that link, it is open longer than any other university library in Ireland (96.5 hours/week during term time), so one can't really complain about the opening hours.

EDIT 2: There are ~1,600 spaces in the JJ library :)

http://www.ucdsu.ie/site/view/255/
    DID YOU KNOW?
    UCD's James Joyce Library holds over 1.3 million books and at any one time there are approximately 1600 people in the library. There are 3,000 study spaces available in the library, including 200+ laptop enabled spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

There was no option but to leave rubbish next to the bins but then the wind blew it over.

If this statement is a snapshot of the mentality of third level students in Ireland, we're probably all doomed.

• Advertisement

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    If this statement is a snapshot of the mentality of third level students in Ireland, we're probably all doomed.

Pathetic response. You were missing the smug ":rolleyes:" with your post.

You obviously were not there too because EVERY single bin down the main concourse was full from Quinn to the library and around the lake. The buildings were all closed too. So there was no where to put the coffee cups, because, as I have said, you cannot get into the library with a coffee cup in your hand. Like I said, there were no cleaners in on Sunday and Monday when the library was the busiest it has been in all my years here. It is the fault of those who make the roster for the UCD services staff that they did not put people down to work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had to go in to the Library yesterday because I had to print something, and it was the only place with accessible printers. Couldn't print from my laptop because it couldn't get an IP address (thank you, DHCP admins), so I had to queue for a UCD computer. So people are queueing for computers to do things they can't do anywhere else at UCD, because everything else is closed; yet I can clearly see idiots chatting on Facebook and watching YouTube videos, or just reading presentations on screen. Plus about 5 of them had no-one at them - logged on with documents open on screen and bags on the seats. I queued for 20 minutes just so I could spend 5 minutes printing some documents.

Those Library computers are a severely-limited resource, so if you give a crap about your fellow students, do what you absolutely have to do then log off. They are not there for you to hog all day. If you can see people queuing, you have no business farting around on Facebook. If you leave it unattended. someone's going to get fed up with queueing, log you off, and you might lose your work - but you'll be in no position to complain. And if you're dumb enough to leave a Facebook window open ... very bad idea.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Is it busy today? I'm not sure if I should go down - I don't want to go and find there's no seats and have to go back. Not a seat with a plug, just 'normal' desks.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

You obviously were not there too because EVERY single bin down the main concourse was full from Quinn to the library and around the lake. The buildings were all closed too. So there was no where to put the coffee cups, because, as I have said, you cannot get into the library with a coffee cup in your hand. Like I said, there were no cleaners in on Sunday and Monday when the library was the busiest it has been in all my years here. It is the fault of those who make the roster for the UCD services staff that they did not put people down to work that day.

I noticed the bins at the science end of the library were not full yesterday evening, people have a problem walking to another bin as their time is too precious. They leave it next to a full bin to make themselves feel better, and ignore the fact that the wind will obviously blow it all over the place. There are massive skips between the library and arts, but people are just too selfish to walk for an extra few seconds, prefering instead to dump the rubbish on the ground, shrug their shoulders and say 'it's not my fault, ucd should have taken care if it'

That said,I agree the cleaners should have been in, emptying the bins around the lake/library on sat sun and mon mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

If you're too lazy to get out of bed a go into the library at 9 don't be giving out about people leaving their stuff in spaces. Why should someone who gets up early in the morning especially to get a space with a plug not be allowed leave their stuff if they have other business for a few hours? I don't want to take my stuff for 2 hours and run the risk of coming back and not getting a plug if I get up early to get it. If you're in the library before 9.30 you will get a plug if you're not, tough, get up earlier next time

Is it busy today? I'm not sure if I should go down - I don't want to go and find there's no seats and have to go back. Not a seat with a plug, just 'normal' desks.

I'm there now and there's loads of free spaces, normal ones anyway, don't think there are many free spaces with plugs at this time

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

What's pathetic is throwing your rubbish on the ground and watching it blow away while pretending to yourself that there's nothing else you could have done. You don't seem very familiar with the Library yourself for someone who was supposed to be studying in it - were you just there for the flash mob? You can't get past the swipe barriers with a coffee cup, but there's nothing stopping you bringing it into the building where the social space is. Even with the bins there overflowing at least it wouldn't have been blown away into the lake. And that's to say nothing of the big skips around the back.

My comment wasn't directed towards you specifically really, I just find it depressing that, judging by the amount of swirling litter, so many people obviously think the same way. I agree that the bins should have been emptied, but that doesn't mean there wasn't an alternative to dumping it on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭spudington16

courty08 wrote: »
    If you're too lazy to get out of bed a go into the library at 9 don't be giving out about people leaving their stuff in spaces. Why should someone who gets up early in the morning especially to get a space with a plug not be allowed leave their stuff if they have other business for a few hours? I don't want to take my stuff for 2 hours and run the risk of coming back and not getting a plug if I get up early to get it. If you're in the library before 9.30 you will get a plug if you're not, tough, get up earlier next time

Getting in early gives you the right to obtain a desk to USE it; not to abandon it. If you go in at 09:00 or earlier to use a computer desk that's fine. If you have "other business" to do elsewhere. don't prevent other people with actual study to do from using these valuable resources while you're gone.

There should really be some kind of clamp-down on this. Maybe computer desks which have been "claimed" but are unattended for a certain length of time should incur a fine or have stuff cleared from them. It's unacceptable at the best of times, but it's just pure selfishness at the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There should really be some kind of clamp-down on this. Maybe computer desks which have been "claimed" but are unattended for a certain length of time should incur a fine or have stuff cleared from them. It's unacceptable at the best of times, but it's just pure selfishness at the end of the year.
    In the Health Sciences Library, where about half the desks have power sockets, there are signs up saying they'll move your stuff if you leave it unattended for more than 30 minutes. But you can ask the desk to give you a slip saying you've OK'd it with them.

There was plenty of space in Health Sciences today, and very quiet: it's you folks who have to study in the JJ Library for whatever reason (books etc.) who have my sympathy. I'll study anywhere but there when I have a choice, and only went in on Monday because everything else was closed.
    If I need a computer, there are plenty there and at Newstead, for example. If you don't know where those places are, find out! You're at university now, you can't wait for lecturers to tell you these things: explore! ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

stop wrote: »
    I noticed the bins at the science end of the library were not full yesterday evening, people have a problem walking to another bin as their time is too precious. They leave it next to a full bin to make themselves feel better, and ignore the fact that the wind will obviously blow it all over the place. There are massive skips between the library and arts, but people are just too selfish to walk for an extra few seconds, prefering instead to dump the rubbish on the ground, shrug their shoulders and say 'it's not my fault, ucd should have taken care if it'

That said,I agree the cleaners should have been in, emptying the bins around the lake/library on sat sun and mon mornings.

Usually I would pick up a bit of rubbish (that wasn't my own) off the ground and bin it. But I cannot spend all day looking for a bin considering I checked around 10 bins all along the main concourse and around the lake (where I was). And at that point the rubbish was everywhere so it wasn't going to make much more of a difference. If anything it was better to dump it so the message would have gotten through that having one building open the day before exams begin results in mass concentration, to the point of severe overcrowding, of people in a small area.

• Advertisement

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    What's pathetic is throwing your rubbish on the ground and watching it blow away while pretending to yourself that there's nothing else you could have done. You don't seem very familiar with the Library yourself for someone who was supposed to be studying in it - were you just there for the flash mob? You can't get past the swipe barriers with a coffee cup, but there's nothing stopping you bringing it into the building where the social space is. Even with the bins there overflowing at least it wouldn't have been blown away into the lake. And that's to say nothing of the big skips around the back.

I have never had a need to venture behind the library building and cannot be expected to in order to search for a skip. There isn't even a proper walking path behind there which emphasizes the lack of pedestrian usage of the rear of the library. The litter was not blowing into the lake, it was caught in the gutters either side of the library exit and clustered around the bins outside the lib. Other bins were bursting. But if everybody had brought their litter inside do you think that it would have been better to have an even bigger pile of rubbish at the bottom of the stairs?

You have blamed the students for the litter which is per se correct but really the blame should be on those who decided not to roster in any cleaners for the day. Blaming the students for the litter is the equivalent to blaming the baby who shoots his mother after been given the gun by its father.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Has anyone else noticed a few people in the library working off TCD exam papers.. wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 rebecca1988

ya you can get a card so you can use other college libraries,its like 30 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Never got why UCD IT Services don't block Facebook and YouTube in the library during peak times. Neither are exactly educational tools (Maybe YouTube but if your that desperate...) If you need to use them, go elsewhere. Would really help save bandwidth and possibly cut down on people just there to feel like going to the library earns you a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

stop wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed a few people in the library working off TCD exam papers.. wtf?

Wouldn't surprise me, especially for Science subjects and Maths sure it'd all be the same and I'd say Trinity lecturers put up exam solutions unlike ours so you actually know if you're doing it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

I often go on facebook when I'm in the library. It serves as a well-needed break every 30 mins to 1 hour. That said I usually go outside every 2 hours just for a bit of air for five minutes and to stand up for a while, I don't really constitute facebook as a real break. Obviously there's no point in going to the library just to go on facebook but I wouldn't like to think I'm getting evil glares for checking it every now and again to relieve pressure from the oul brain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

On the things that annoy you, there's a guy I see quite often in a certain area of the JJ library, and he looks at EVERYTHING. As in, every single person that walks past, his head jerks up. Every time someone near him moves, he looks up. Every time I practically twitch he looks at me, it's **really** unnerving!! Yesterday he literally stared at me while I looked through my notebook, I could see him in my peripheral vision, it was really off putting! Every time I go in and see him now I'm like oh god, not this weirdo guy again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

damselnat wrote: »
    On the things that annoy you, there's a guy I see quite often in a certain area of the JJ library, and he looks at EVERYTHING. As in, every single person that walks past, his head jerks up. Every time someone near him moves, he looks up. Every time I practically twitch he looks at me, it's **really** unnerving!! Yesterday he literally stared at me while I looked through my notebook, I could see him in my peripheral vision, it was really off putting! Every time I go in and see him now I'm like oh god, not this weirdo guy again.....

I think I knwo the guy, he sits in the Samuel Beckett section, always seems to have big headphones on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

eoin2nc wrote: »
    I think I knwo the guy, he sits in the Samuel Beckett section, always seems to have big headphones on?
    He always seems to be on the 1st floor, in the right hand side section. Never noticed whether he wears headphones, but then I don['t spend my time in the library gawping at people, unlike him! It's just so unnerving and distracting, yesterday he stared at me for a full 2-3 mins I'd say, I was poring over an equation but I could see him in the corner of my eye, not a reproachful stare, just blank! Dammit if he wants to be distracted can't he just go on FB and irritate everyone else on Boards for once? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

bnt wrote: »

Those Library computers are a severely-limited resource, so if you give a crap about your fellow students, do what you absolutely have to do then log off. They are not there for you to hog all day. If you can see people queuing, you have no business farting around on Facebook. If you leave it unattended. someone's going to get fed up with queueing, log you off, and you might lose your work - but you'll be in no position to complain. And if you're dumb enough to leave a Facebook window open ... very bad idea.

I'd disagree with that. The library computers are there for you to type up essays, do online research and whatever else you need to do. Facebook is blocked on them as are a lot of recreational sites. There are designated printers just for printing, usually beside the printer itself. If you are just in for a quick check of something online then use a computer in Arts or somewhere should none in the library be available. However, nobody should be allowed leave those computers for more than 15 minutes because, unlike a non-plug accessible desk, they are in demand for other people to do essays etc.

Advertisement