Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annoying people in the library!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'd disagree with that. The library computers are there for you to type up essays, do online research and whatever else you need to do. Facebook is blocked on them as are a lot of recreational sites. There are designated printers just for printing, usually beside the printer itself. If you are just in for a quick check of something online then use a computer in Arts or somewhere should none in the library be available. However, nobody should be allowed leave those computers for more than 15 minutes because, unlike a non-plug accessible desk, they are in demand for other people to do essays etc.

They're not blocked.

+1000 on the second bolded part. Going to the toilet, grab a bar in the shop, quick phone call etc is fine but leaving your stuff there to go off for an extended lunch is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

bnt wrote: »
    I had to go in to the Library yesterday because I had to print something, and it was the only place with accessible printers. Couldn't print from my laptop because it couldn't get an IP address (thank you, DHCP admins), so I had to queue for a UCD computer.

This (DHCP issue) is largely down to smartphones. IP addresses are a finite resource and pools are allocated to deal with normal / peak demand.

The prolification of smartphones causes occasional pool depletion, particularly at times like a bank holiday where the JJ library is the only building open on campus.

If people disabled the WLAN interface on thier phone it would greatly help in addressing this problem.

Also eduroam is available in all areas covered by WLAN in the library and there was significant capacity available for those that had this configured.

Using eduroam by default, as well as ensuring more comprehensive and faster internet access assists in the IP address management problem.

At all times there are addresses available on this service

http://mrtg.ucd.ie/mrtg/bf/servers/scarr/dhcp-subnets/subnet-137.43.238.0-23.html

instructions on configuration are available here:

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroamatucd/#d.en.78522

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

There should be a personality test to be permitted use the library, this would require you to be dull enough to last a minimum of 2 hours(pre ritalin) studying intently before a toilet break, or being capable of noticing other humans and related distractive traits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Just-A-Phase

People taking breaks by going on facebook or boards etc doesn't really bother but a guy sitting near me today has definitely taken it a step too far. He came in at 11 and immediately left again, returned at 12 and since then he has been switching between playing online poker and reading the newspaper, he has actually just started doing the crossword puzzle. This doesn't so much annoy me as just completely baffle me, like why did he even bother coming in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

herds of mongs standing around waffling on staircases and directly in front of doorways are the worst

and they gawp at you as if youre a spa when you squeeze past them

who stops on a staircase or in a doorway?

you muppets are a fire hazard go do some work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

herds of mongs standing around waffling on staircases and directly in front of doorways are the worst

Never got that mentality. Why stop in doorways and on stairs. It boggles the mind! Same goes for the people sitting outside. Why do people just arrive and sit there like refugee's for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

A quick clip of the shoulder usually gives them the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

It's like if you bump into someone you haven't seen in ages.

"Why you here, thought you left college."

"Me, don't bother turning up to college, but heard there's these things called exams. Surprised the hell out of me - thought I was done with that crap after LC"

"Well, I won't ask you if you want a coffee, cuz that would be over-commitment. We're most likely in different parts of the library. I probably won't be seeing you until exams are on again so let's catch up now. At the top of the escalator."

"Sounds like a plan, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's like if you bump into someone you haven't seen in ages.

"Why you here, thought you left college."

"Me, don't bother turning up to college, but heard there's these things called exams. Surprised the hell out of me - thought I was done with that crap after LC"

"Well, I won't ask you if you want a coffee, cuz that would be over-commitment. We're most likely in different parts of the library. I probably won't be seeing you until exams are on again so let's catch up now. At the top of the escalator."

"Sounds like a plan, man"

lol very good.

There is a photocopier between the law section and the open area with all the plug desks on the 2nd floor that should not be where it is! The noise off it echoes all around both the law section and the other area. It must disrupt almost 200 people when it is being used! The ones in the short loan are ideally located, and there is 3 of them; there shouldn't be a need for a photocopier up there by the law section.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Those library turnstiles seem to be awful nowadays. You scan your card and it hangs for ages before it releases them. It seems to be worse the busier the library is.

And on the way out nearly every second person had their card rejected, and the man had to keep wiping the glass panels so people could get out :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 rebecca1988

a randomer coming into the study room and asking can she sit down cause there was no other seats! was weird but we said ok, well we kinda had 2!

leaves like 30 minutes later!!!

people are strange!:D

a randomer coming into the study room and asking can she sit down cause there was no other seats! was weird but we said ok, well we kinda had 2!

leaves like 30 minutes later!!!

people are strange!:D

This. Some people in the library are just so weird, and this applies to both guys and girls. The second floor is full of odd jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SemiMental

There is one guy in the library that really annoys me.
    Hes always up on the fourth floor on the right where all the sockets are.
    He sits in the same spot every day, and he is in there from opening to closing. A few days ago and again today, he didnt get his usual spot so he took another seat, but he kept on changing spots..... he changed his spot in the library fives times a few days ago until his favourite seat was free then he took it! Don't know why he does it.

Half the time I walk past him, he is on his laptop playing a game!

He gets in there really early every morning. A few days back i was near the front of the queue to get into the library when it opened, couldnt see him in the queue, then when i got up to the fourth floor...there he was laptop and all set up in his usual spot! Don't know how he managed it.
    He not annoying really...just odd.

There's another strange guy on the fourth floor now and then. He come in and he and watches a DVD or fall asleep and start snoring, always talks really loudly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

SemiMental wrote: »

There's another strange guy on the fourth floor now and then. He come in and he and watches a DVD or fall asleep and start snoring, always talks really loudly too.

Heavy breather too?

I know the one... >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SemiMental

Fad wrote: »
    Heavy breather too?

I know the one... >_<

Yeah that's him!

I had never seen him before, up until a few weeks ago.
    A friend described him to me, and a few hours after that i bumped into him down at the library turnstiles (knew instantly it had to be him) where he randomly tried to explain to me how to properly scan my card to get into the library! Saw him again a few minutes after that talking loudly on the fourth floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Yeah that's him!

A friend described him to me, and a few hours after that i bumped into him down at the library turnstiles (knew instantly it had to be him) where he randomly tried to explain to me how to properly scan my card to get into the library! Saw him again a few minutes after that talking loudly on the fourth floor.

He's ALWAYS up there, all year round like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Was it just me or was the library worker in the "please talk" t-shirt acting really weird today? He kept going round looking over peoples shoulder really awkwardly and telling people who were talking, very quietly, going up the escalator to be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

I'd say the irony of wearing a please talk t shirt while telling people to be quite is completely lost on him!

library staff!!!!!!!!!!

was waiting at the computers with a usb in hand as had a few pages 2 print! 1 guy ahead of me!

so library security/person working here asked me was i printing and i said yes!

so off he goes looking at what everyone is doing on the computer! clearly finds someone on facebook etc and kicks him off then point at me 2 come over! so over i go, completely mortified may i add!

apologied 2 the guy who clearly blamed me! every1 having a good ole stare at me! (apologies if that was you)

i have never printed anything so fast in my life :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

library staff!!!!!!!!!!

was waiting at the computers with a usb in hand as had a few pages 2 print! 1 guy ahead of me!

so library security/person working here asked me was i printing and i said yes!

so off he goes looking at what everyone is doing on the computer! clearly finds someone on facebook etc and kicks him off then point at me 2 come over! so over i go, completely mortified may i add!

apologied 2 the guy who clearly blamed me! every1 having a good ole stare at me! (apologies if that was you)

i have never printed anything so fast in my life :eek: :D

If they're the ones by the printers yer man was being pig ignorant dawdling on facebook while people were queueing.. even if they weren't the ones specifically for printing too, in my opinion.

You've nothing to be/say sorry for!

• Advertisement

If they're the ones by the printers yer man was being pig ignorant dawdling on facebook while people were queueing.. even if they weren't the ones specifically for printing too, in my opinion.

You've nothing to be/say sorry for!

more mortified than anything hahahah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Can I be annoyed at the library? There's plug desks on the 1st floor have been out for about 4 days now and also the girls bathrooms keep running out of toilet roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Yeah that's him!

Is that the guy that fell asleep on the top floor of the library once and people had to wake him up several times because he was snoring really loudly?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jripper

Can I be annoyed at the library? There's plug desks on the 1st floor have been out for about 4 days now and also the girls bathrooms keep running out of toilet roll.

Also a lot of the top halves of the plugs/sockets seem to have no power going to them. Seem's pretty inefficient. I guess the feeling of being plugged in is better than nothing. . .:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Got to love the sockets that have little signs saying that the library has deliberately deactivated them. That, and the way the library is hermetically sealed no matter what the actual temperature is. Oh, and how the internet sometimes completely collapses (they get a bit of a by on that as the library wasn't designed for internet when it was first built)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Placebo plugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

Placebo plugs

Sad truth is they did that because half the people in our college are airheads who either:
    • Can't watch where they're stepping and trip, then doddy threatens to sue the college (which is, of course, just flush with money..)
    • Think theres no problem having a power cord stretching across the aisle between desks at knee level, instead of resting in the ground.

Facebook needs to be locked out of computer labs. If you want to look at facebook use the stand up computers!

I'd say take it off the entire network but that would screw people in the residencies and people on laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DocToBe

The people in the study rooms in Health Science on the 1st floor who talk so so loudly are so annoying, do they not realise they're not sound proof and everyone on the floor can hear everything they're saying!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

At least the Library, lads and girls, has decent eye candy. I'm starting to think people check themselves in the mirror in the am before going in to make sure they look their hottest, judging by the standard.
    The lads in tight tshirts and girls in low cut tops half the time in there its like a nightclub.

I'm not complaining :cool::P:cool: though its sometimes hard to keep your eye on the work.

• Advertisement

The women who work in the library are so irritating when trying to study. They have full gossip conversations whenever they are at the sorting shelves, as if there is nobody trying to study in the library. And in the law section information office the women in that office (that seem to have appeared there the last few days) talk like they are outside and their conversations are heard in half the law section. I notice that the men who work in the library talk in hushed voices, but the middle-aged wagons are nearly shouting at each other with zero consideration for the people studying.

Advertisement