Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help

• 29-04-2011 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hi
    i moved a small house recently with no back garden, the front garden is not enclosed and is next to an abbotoir. My dog has started to venture in to the abbotoir when i let her out to pee and she keeps stealing meat but i want to to be able to let her out but witout the stealing please all ideas welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Bring her out on a lead to pee. the days are long gone when you can just open your door an let your dog off on its merry way by itself I'm afraid.

There are no magic solutions for the dog regarding her stealing.....except a lead and an owner who will walk;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

Well she doesnt run under cars or annoy anybody and i live on a cul de sac so shes safe so im not.being smart but thats the last resort

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

OP,

I'd be very careful about letting your dog wander about an abattoir. I'm sure the operators of the facility wont take to kindly to a wandering dog on their premises, especially if she's stealing meat.Now I'm not an expert on the meat processing methods, but I'm pretty sure having a stray dog on their premises poses a few health and safety issues - both for their employees and future consumers of the meat.

The only way to stop her is to keep her under your control (i.e on a lead) or else secure your front garden with a fence/wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I think you'll find 'the last resort' is the abattoir calling the dog warden and you paying damages.

A lead is the only solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Well she doesnt run under cars or annoy anybody and i live on a cul de sac so shes safe so im not.being smart but thats the last resort

In fairness I am not sure what exact answer you want. there is only one way to stop her going into the abattoir.:confused:

most people on this forum will not agree with you turfing you dog out loose by itself. That is from a combination of things, including the fairly widespread theft of dogs in recent times. Bearing that in mind I dont know what answers you can really get here for this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Put a fence around the front garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If putting up a fence or keeping her on a lead outside are not an option how about buying a dog run? Something like one of these http://cilldara.ie/ It wouldn't have to be permanent so if your renting it can be folded up and moved.

If that isin't an option then only as a last resort look into something like this http://www.petklace.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/xl_dog_trolly_02.jpg It's safer than just tieing a dog up to anything stationary on the ground but still a dog shouldn't be left like this for hours on end, only hooked up for going to the toilet. When tied up without supervision another dog can still come onto your property and attack your dog (who will not be able to escape), they can also try to jump over something and end up hanging themselves and dog thieves can still steal your dog (something which is becoming sadly more and more common and not just expensive purebreds are being taken).

Dogs do not need to be let outside whether to roam or into a secure garden provided they get sufficent walks every day and are brought out on a lead to go to the toilet, how do you think people cope with dogs in apartments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Cul de sac or not,I'm afraid she's not safe being let out by herself. The fact that she is going somewhere that she isn't supposed to go - the abbatoir - is proof of this. She could easily leave the cul de sac and get run over, stolen, attacked by another dog, accidentally poisoned by weedkiller, rat poison, get injured on fencing or glass...the list of possibilities goes on. Also, the abbatoir staff may well call the dog warden as there is a food safety issue and she is stealing from their business. Remember that it is also against the law, under the Control of Dogs Act, to allow your dog out without supervision.
    It's easy to say that she doesn't run under cars but it just takes one incident where she gets spooked or a fast car comes along. A friend of mine used to let his dog out of his sight all the time when walking in his local park. He lived next door to this park and there were no roads to cross so he was pretty relaxed about the dog heading home by herself and greeting him at the front door after the walk. One night though, he heard a bang out on the road. The dog had been hit by a car. The vet reckoned that the dog had been attacked by another dog first, which made her run on to the road. Poor thing died two days later.
    As others have said here, you only have two options - to make a secure area in your front garden with either a fence or a dog run, or to keep her inside and bring her out on the lead a few times a day.
    I used to live in an apartment with one of my dogs and it really wasn't a problem. He had his normal longer walk each day and a few short trips out with me to do what he needed to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never let your dog run loose, fence in the garden. If you can't then get a dog run big enough to allow the dog to run around and pee in you could be it up against the front door cilldara.ie or hayses modular are two sites with good quality secure pens.
    Or use the panels to make temporary fencing which if you moved you can take with you ie if you're renting. If it's your own property then just invest in some decent timber fencing with chainlink wire.

Advertisement