Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out of date wine

Options
  • 29-04-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

hi hopethis is the right place for this i baught a case of wine in a supermarket in swords, 24small bottles for 12 euro .. great deal.but last night i noticed there out of date since 2009.. thinkin of throwing them out now.. or could i bring them back...... orwould they be ok??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭Varik

browner85 wrote: »
    hi hopethis is the right place for this i baught a case of wine in a supermarket in swords, 24small bottles for 12 euro .. great deal.but last night i noticed there out of date since 2009.. thinkin of throwing them out now.. or could i bring them back...... orwould they be ok??

Wine doesn't "expire", but it can certainly go bad. Wine starts to go bad or “expires” after it is exposed to oxygen. Some exposure to oxygen is good and that’s why many people will use a decanter for an hour or two before drinking the wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you sure that's not the vintage, they only way to really know is to taste it, if it tastes a bit like vinegar dump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

no it was made in 2008... it actually tastes pretty good. its in plastic bottles i was just worried it may be bad after a good feed of it .....
    has best before 12/2009 on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

no it was made in 2008... it actually tastes pretty good. its in plastic bottles i was just worried it may be bad after a good feed of it .....

I've never seen wine with a best before date, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭todd10k

If it's in a sealed glass container, go for it. Anything else just wont cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

i can't see how a 2008 wine can have a 2009 bbe on it tbh. i mean if wine expired after a yr how do you explain 1950 or earlier vintages! wine kept properly matures doesn't expire!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Some wines keep better than others, and many improve with age, sometimes greatly. It is not common for any wine to lose quality in 3 years.

I suspect that the best before date was related more to the plastic bottles than the wine: some plastics deteriorate, especially if exposed to strong light. It seems as if you kept the wine in a box, so probably avoided that problem.

As a strong general rule, if a wine tastes okay, it is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Are you sure that is not the date when it was bottle. It may have been in barrells from 2008 and 2009.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Afaik rosé wine doesnt keep well. Other than that its probably the plastic that is the issue. If it drinks well, Id say do. Wine that is off will taste bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Best before means exactly that. It is best before that date, but that doesn't mean it can't be consumed afterwards. It just may not be as good. Use by would be a completely different scenario, but best before is merely a suggestion.

Having said that, I've never seen, nor heard of, a best before date on wine. It's probably something to do with the plastic bottle, much like water in plastic bottles. It's the plastic itself that can cause issue, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The little airline bottles have a best before date as does the box cartons. Purely to do with the form of packaging and only a suggested date. At €12 for 24 small bottles it probably had a sign stating that it was past dated as this is below the duty paid. Any chance you could tell us the shop as I wouldn't mind s box or 2 myself at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Some wine has a 'date produced' date on the side, make sure it wan't that. Seems to be mostly French wine that has this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

As already mentioned, the issue in this case would be the plastic bottles, not the wine itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

Can someone explain why some wines get better with age and last years while the opposite is true with others? Just curious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

maxer68 wrote: »
    Any chance you could tell us the shop as I wouldn't mind s box or 2 myself at that price

I'd put money on it being JC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

havent been on in a while .. and yea it was jcs ha

Advertisement