Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

rust treatment and respray

• 29-04-2011 6:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi. I looking at buying a campervan. The one i am looking at is in need of minor respray and rust treatment. Has anyone experience of doing same and the cost it may involve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Milsey

Also interested in any replys. Especially in any treatment given for rust where it neutralises and kils the rust turning it black chemically.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pARTner81

I dont really have an answer for you guys, but you'll get a good speedy reply from the Motors forum and the DIY Car Maintenance & Repair forums.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Asking the cost is like asking how long is a piece of string. I love old VW campers and in my experience rust treatment and a respray has cost me from €2000 up to €12,000.

A few more details and pics may help :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Milsey wrote: »
    Also interested in any replys. Especially in any treatment given for rust where it neutralises and kils the rust turning it black chemically.

That is not treatment, its a band aid and a temporary bodge at best! The only treatment is to cut out the rust back to bare metal and weld in fresh metal.

krissovo wrote: »
    That is not treatment, its a band aid and a temporary bodge at best! The only treatment is to cut out the rust back to bare metal and weld in fresh metal.
    This is going to come across bichy but maybe temporary is what I want. Not all vehicles are worth spending large amounts of money stripping back metal, welding, filling, priming and painting. Too say that the 'only treatment' is very misleading, maybe 'best' would be more suited and helpfull. Sorry just had to let that out. Sorry for hijacking OP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 piddles

Milsey hack away... your asking the questions i'm enquiring about :):)

lol since last night i've decided the camper i was looking at wouldn't be worth it :D

The kind of stuff im talking about is http://www.rustaway.ie/catalog/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=ve7gpd16od29e7m8bbidg6eum4
    Does anyone have any experience in using this kind of thing.
    I have rust around my windscreen and it leaves a rusty streak on the paintwork that someone else has badly pained before i bought last year.
    Im just looking to kill the rust a bit. I know, i know that it will return etc but im not in a position at the moment to remove windscreens and remove skuttle panels and weld new ones in and paint. I'm just looking to slow down the enevatable for a few more years. Thanks. Any comments appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Hammerite Kurust (available at Halfords for example) is that kind of stuff that turns rust black.

kurust_range.jpg

It'll delay the inevitable for a while, but it's by no means a magic potion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Vactan is another one that some of the VW forums swear by - available on ebay. Haven't used it myself yet, but purchased a bottle to test on the couple patches I have.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Vactan is another one that some of the VW forums swear by - available on ebay. Haven't used it myself yet, but purchased a bottle to test on the couple patches I have.
    Thanks Macy0161 that is just the kind of stuff im looking for and very good price. I just bought 1 litre of it costing 24 euro with postage. It says that 1 litre will cover an area of about 6 meters which is some coverage. I just want it for around the windscreen and and on the gutter above the front windscreen. I',ve a 94 peugot j5 conversion. I'll post after I use it just to inform others what I think and how it worked. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've used http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?products_id=1063 on some of my classic cars , and it's brilliant stuff .

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hardibuck

You could consider waxoiling the other side of the affected areas to halt the rust or paint on a rust primer e.g. grey oxide before repainting over it.

Advertisement