Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grass growth

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Interesting to hear Tom Browne on the farming programme last night saying that measuring grass is a waste of time and that we should be teaching young farmers to eyeball as opposed to measure.

He was very down on measuring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Tipp Man wrote: »
    Interesting to hear Tom Browne on the farming programme last night saying that measuring grass is a waste of time and that we should be teaching young farmers to eyeball as opposed to measure.

I wouldn't agree with him. at all since I started measuring grass everything has improved from fat and protein to cow condition and more money in my pocket at the end of the year. I won't be giving it up anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Tipp Man wrote: »

He is of the same opinion as me then, complete waste of time. I hear guys saying they have X kilos of grass per Ha, but often this isnt worth a crap as the quality is crap. the best bit of grass is the bit that grows overnight I was told by a wise man which I would agree with. All the protein is in the tip. I have seen cattle really thriving on land where they seem to be short of grass but the quality would be 100%, in the opposite I have seen cattle standing in grass and not thriving at all. Suppose whatever people are happy with, so be it.

In my view, rotations are too long and most guys IMV are trying to graze covers that are too heavy. Even our research arm are talking about grazing cover far too high IMV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

He is of the same opinion as me then, complete waste of time. I hear guys saying they have X kilos of grass per Ha, but often this isnt worth a crap as the quality is crap. the best bit of grass is the bit that grows overnight I was told by a wise man which I would agree with. All the protein is in the tip. I have seen cattle really thriving on land where they seem to be short of grass but the quality would be 100%, in the opposite I have seen cattle standing in grass and not thriving at all. Suppose whatever people are happy with, so be it.

In my view, rotations are too long and most guys IMV are trying to graze covers that are too heavy. Even our research arm are talking about grazing cover far too high IMV

Cows have only so much time to graze, so many mouthfuls, 1500-1700 are IMO ideal for intake and quality.

I'm neutral enough on grass measuring, do a budget here but can eyeball now accurately enough, its good but not totally essential as some make out.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

as stocking rates increase,measuring and budgeting become more important.some farmers stock at 4cows+ in mid season and measuring allows them to feed high quality grass(12me) and no meals.
    tom browne didnt mention his stocking rate,low sr would reduce the need to measure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

lots of nice soft rain today. Everything greening up already. you would nearly see the grass growing.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

PMU wrote: »
    as stocking rates increase,measuring and budgeting become more important.some farmers stock at 4cows+ in mid season and measuring allows them to feed high quality grass(12me) and no meals.
    tom browne didnt mention his stocking rate,low sr would reduce the need to measure

I actually think the opposite is the case that with a high stocking rate regarding measuring etc, as you will never have surplus grass so all things are easier, except this year when the grass just wont grow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

so then bob what covers should we be grazing and how long should rotations be.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

I actually think the opposite is the case that with a high stocking rate regarding measuring etc, as you will never have surplus grass so all things are easier, except this year when the grass just wont grow.
    if you dont measure how do you know you have a surplus. by the way grass is growing,gr rates at the moment are about 70% of the norm,I have plenty for a 3.1 sr/ha.

• Advertisement
Advertisement