Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ssd query

Options
  • 29-04-2011 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi all,

anyone recommend a ssd for my P55AUD3 mobo, its got the marvel 9128 sata3 (****e):eek: ,if i was to buy vertex 3/c300 etc im guessing i would n get to use its full potential speeds ??
    so am i limited to sata 2 ssd's on this mobo , any alternatives out there??

also anyone recommend one of these for my lga1156 mild ocloking

http://www.dabs.ie/products/coolit-eco-advanced-liquid-cooling-7CZK.html?refs=4294946930-50011

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

http://www.anandtech.com/tag/storage

These guys know whats what ;-)
    Intel 510.

Always Intel ;-)

Best realworld performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You wouldn't get the full benefit from that intel drive with SATA 3Gbps so you might find better value elsewhere. There's plenty of options. I would avoid the OCZ Vertex 2 drives as many of them are ~5GB less than advertised. The other main options would be the Intel X25-M and the Corsair Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

That board has 6Gbps ports.

Lucky boy ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CullyA

cgarrad wrote: »
    That board has 6Gbps ports.

Lucky boy ;-)

yes true but on the marvel 9128 which is meant to be very poor from what ive been reading and seemingly id be better off using the 3Gbps ports :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

Monotype wrote: »
    You wouldn't get the full benefit from that intel drive with SATA 3Gbps so you might find better value elsewhere. There's plenty of options. I would avoid the OCZ Vertex 2 drives as many of them are ~5GB less than advertised. The other main options would be the Intel X25-M and the Corsair Force.
    Good advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Monotype wrote: »
    I would avoid the OCZ Vertex 2 drives as many of them are ~5GB less than advertised. The other main options would be the Intel X25-M and the Corsair Force.

I have an "80gb" Intel X25-M which only shows as 74gb in windows because of the nasty advertising manufacturers use by claiming that drives are in GB when in fact there in GiB.

1 KiB = 1,024 Bytes
    1 MiB = 1,048,576 Bytes (1024 x 1024)
    1 GiB = 1,073,741,824 Bytes (1024 x 1024 x 1024)

1 GB = 1,000,000,000 Bytes

sooo... 80GB / 1GiB = 80,000,000,000 / 1,073,741,824 = 74.5GiB

I presume all of them use the same practice but not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh, my mistake. I thought that you meant SATA 3Gbps rather that SATA 3.

If it's so bad, why did they bother including them over the standard ones? I already know the answer to that, but it's still daft.

Edit: About the GiB/GB thing, all of them do that, but with the OCZ drives it's even worse as they're ~5GB short and only (10^9)/(2^30) times that.

So getting passed the false advertisment from all companies ,am I wasting my money buying v3 ,c4 with my mobo,what mbs can sata2 read ??

Any opinions on that cpu cooler??

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

CullyA wrote: »
    yes true but on the marvel 9128 which is meant to be very poor from what ive been reading and seemingly id be better off using the 3Gbps ports :mad:
    What have you been reading? It's the best alternative to native SATA3, which the p55 chipset doesn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

game4it70 wrote: »
    I have an "80gb" Intel X25-M which only shows as 74gb in windows because of the nasty advertising manufacturers use by claiming that drives are in GB when in fact there in GiB.
    They are in GB. They measure the number of bytes in powers of 10. Most Operating Systems use powers of 2 . If anything, it's the OS manufacturers who are being misleading by using "GB" when they are quantifying in GiB.

• Advertisement

They are in GB. They measure the number of bytes in powers of 10. Most Operating Systems use powers of 2 . If anything, it's the OS manufacturers who are being misleading by using "GB" when they are quantifying in GiB.

I stand corrected (not for the first time either) :o

@ OP
    I have owned 2 corsair h-50's which would be very similar to that cooler and found them to be just ok.Personally i would get a decent air cooling heatsink instead as they perform on par or better than the self-contained wc units (going by the h-50's i had).

What have you been reading? It's the best alternative to native SATA3, which the p55 chipset doesn't have.

From what I've been reading the marvel 9128 has been out performed in benchmarking and also it doesn't support trim either ,

Reviews all recommend using the sata2 over the sata3marvel 9128,I have absolute no experience in this matter just have read a **** load of reviews,I know real time performance is prob different.

Has anyone personally used SSD on 9128????
    @game4it70
    So air coolers,hyper 212,akasa venom are the 2 I know of.are these good and also quiet too ??

Thanks for replys all

The venom is a good cooler for the price imo and viper fans are not loud when rpms turned down.Since there pwm you can manually control rpms or let mobo do it for you.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/akasa-ak-ccx-4002hp-venom-cpu-cooler--socket-lga775-lga1156-lga1366-am2-am3--70LW.html

Advertisement