Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no 24 hour off licences?

• 29-04-2011 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

the weekend is upon us and we have 2 hours and 10 minutes left to purchase our alcohol before the off licences are shut. i find it bizarre that living in ireland, a nation of people who are renowned for being the drinking kings of the world, that there is such alcohol restrictions. i want the choice to drink into early hours of the morning! is their any proof which suggest these laws benefit society in anyway??? i think its time we lived up to our reputation, and make ireland the drinking MECCA of the world!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Are you proud of that reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Maybe not so that we're the "drinking MECCA of the world", but I would like if there were no restrictions on the times of alcohol sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Because we live in a nanny state....you can't buy booze in a off-license after 10 p.m.....you can't buy a pint in a pub after 11.30.....you get chucked out of a club at 2 a.m. etc...................pure nanny state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Planning, my dear friend, simple planning is all that's needed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

paky wrote: »
    the weekend is upon us and we have 2 hours and 10 minutes left to purchase our alcohol before the off licences are shut. i find it bizarre that living in ireland, a nation of people who are renowned for being the drinking kings of the world, that there is such alcohol restrictions. i want the choice to drink into early hours of the morning! is their any proof which suggest these laws benefit society in anyway??? i think its time we lived up to our reputation, and make ireland the drinking MECCA of the world!!

Dipso

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Its because the goverment are a shower of female genitalia and want to look after their own - the publicans!

Nothing major would happen if we could buy drink 24/7 except for the few exceptions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Because we live in a nanny state....you can't buy booze in a off-license after 10 p.m.....you can't buy a pint in a pub after 11.30.....you get chucked out of a club at 2 p.m. etc...................pure nanny state.

2pm? That's either an excellent night out or a very rough way to spend a morning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Are you proud of that reputation?

i think the more restrictions we have shows the more problems we have. i should have the CHOICE. the state shouldnt impose stupid laws on me. what if i feel like a beer at 11.30 and dont feel like going out? its wrong to say to people that they can only drink between this time and that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Stupid Government has destroyed my spontaneity. Stop making me plan shít in advance yis bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Because we live in a nanny state....you can't buy booze in a off-license after 10 p.m.....you can't buy a pint in a pub after 11.30.....you get chucked out of a club at 2 p.m. etc...................pure nanny state.
    I don't hear any complaints when she's washing your underwear or cooking your dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Just start drinking at 11am

Stupid Government has destroyed my spontaneity. Stop making me plan shít in advance yis bastards.

i have 3 beers in my fridge from last weekend and im not sure if i should buy more. i feel the state is putting me under pressure to drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭temply

i have 3 beers in my fridge from last weekend and im not sure if i should buy more. i feel the state is putting me under pressure to drink

can you not go to the shops tomorrow?

temply wrote: »
    can you not go to the shops tomorrow?

im too indecisive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

Because we live in a nanny state....you can't buy booze in a off-license after 10 p.m.....you can't buy a pint in a pub after 11.30.....you get chucked out of a club at 2 a.m. etc...................pure nanny state.

After 11:30pm?? what pubs do you frequent?

Move to the country sir.

I hate the term "nanny state," am I the only one?

this country is some dump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,315 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Karsini wrote: »
    I hate the term "nanny state," am I the only one?

Yes. The nanny state will be after you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 191 ✭✭I would ride myself cos im a sexy man

its a kip

we need sinn fein and ULA to form government. and the ira to reclaim official status as our army.

celtic also need to come home, we need to save lenny from the terrorists.

its a kip

we need sinn fein and ULA to form government. and the ira to reclaim official status as our army.

ha ha hah

• Advertisement

whats funny mo chara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

well go off somewhere else then

its a kip

Jesus H.Christ

orourkeda wrote: »
    well go off somewhere else then

i am but its still not gona change the fact its a dump?

i am but its still not gona change the fact its a dump?

whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Spend a lot of time in the UK and I love the fact some nights I'm up late watching TV and I decide a few beers would be nice, off down to Asda happy days. Their open 24 hours no problems as its controlled i.e. under 25 produce ID, appear drunk your not getting served no questions.

Ireland needs to have a serious look at our licencing laws. At the moment people see it as something that shouldn't do in the back of their mind, in effect, telling Father Dougal not to press the red button.

By telling people the bar closes at 2, people tend to go hurry up lets drink. This then leads to all clubs closing at the same time and the trouble that comes from large groups of drunk people on the streets. If it was staggered i.e clubs allowed close when they want we would have a staggered effect of people coming out preventing many of the problems that they are trying to get rid of at the moment with their stupid laws.

AH ans tl;dr just blast with bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

Ask a nurse if she would like to deal with the extra consquences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I think we should join the UK again. At least they have 24 hour off licenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Ask a nurse if she would like to deal with the extra consquences.

If she worked as a volunteer i would ask, if she is paid the state then she can shut the eff up and do what we pay her to do or get a new job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

This thread is ridiculous...For a start, you can just buy it before 10 pm, unless you have a very strange job which takes up all your day every day every week. Secondly, if you did leave them open all night, people would leave clubs and enter off-licences. If they weren't allowed because they're drunk, they'll get their sober friend to do it, just like teenagers getting people off the street to buy it for them.
    There's a huge problem in Ireland, an absolutely massive one. No point making it worse. I mean if it's three in the morning and you can't wait for a drink it seems like a bit of a problem to be honest...

Advertisement