Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why no 24 hour off licences?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I thing that we as a country have shown time & time again that we are not responsible drinkers,and if there was a 24 hour off licences here we would end up paying for a lot more than just alcohol.

As has been said its not to hard to organise getting alcohol,if we/you can do it for good friday..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

paky wrote: »
    the weekend is upon us and we have 2 hours and 10 minutes left to purchase our alcohol before the off licences are shut. i find it bizarre that living in ireland, a nation of people who are renowned for being the drinking kings of the world, that there is such alcohol restrictions. i want the choice to drink into early hours of the morning! is their any proof which suggest these laws benefit society in anyway??? i think its time we lived up to our reputation, and make ireland the drinking MECCA of the world!!

Can you not purchase it now seen as you have "2 hours and 10 minutes left" to head to an off licence. These laws are there for a reason pal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

paky wrote: »
    the weekend is upon us and we have 2 hours and 10 minutes left to purchase our alcohol before the off licences are shut. i find it bizarre that living in ireland, a nation of people who are renowned for being the drinking kings of the world, that there is such alcohol restrictions. i want the choice to drink into early hours of the morning! is their any proof which suggest these laws benefit society in anyway??? i think its time we lived up to our reputation, and make ireland the drinking MECCA of the world!!

€ 25 K blasphemy fine on it's way to you OP..... http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0713/1224250543694.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Adro947 wrote: »
    This thread is ridiculous...For a start, you can just buy it before 10 pm, unless you have a very strange job which takes up all your day every day every week. Secondly, if you did leave them open all night, people would leave clubs and enter off-licences. If they weren't allowed because they're drunk, they'll get their sober friend to do it, just like teenagers getting people off the street to buy it for them.
    There's a huge problem in Ireland, an absolutely massive one. No point making it worse. I mean if it's three in the morning and you can't wait for a drink it seems like a bit of a problem to be honest...

All joking aside the OP has a point. This law was only brought in to help the pub trade. No other logical explanation for it. You can still buy alcohol, just makes it a bit more inconvenient for casually buying it. If you are an alcoholic it doesn't stop you.

I was visiting my parents who live up the country and was leaving in the morning and decided to buy my mum a bottle of sherry as a present. Being that I rarely buy alcohol in the morning it never even occurred to me about the restricted hours. I was made to feel like some sort of desperate alcoholic by the checkout lady. "For your mother? Yeah right"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

professore wrote: »
    This law was only brought in to help the pub trade.

absolutely agree. come 10.30 the government would rather see you pay 5 euro for a pint in a pub than pay 5 euro for four cans of karpacki!!!!
    robben thieven gombeen bas.tards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

This thread is ridiculous...For a start, you can just buy it before 10 pm, unless you have a very strange job which takes up all your day every day every week. Secondly, if you did leave them open all night, people would leave clubs and enter off-licences. If they weren't allowed because they're drunk, they'll get their sober friend to do it, just like teenagers getting people off the street to buy it for them.
    There's a huge problem in Ireland, an absolutely massive one. No point making it worse. I mean if it's three in the morning and you can't wait for a drink it seems like a bit of a problem to be honest...

Nigga please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

This thread is ridiculous...For a start, you can just buy it before 10 pm, unless you have a very strange job which takes up all your day every day every week. .
    I work from three until eleven on friday-sunday nights. What am I supposed to do if I decide while I'm at work that I would like a few cans after?

Why should I have to buy it before ten? Theres no logical reasoning behind it.

Advertisement