Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newmarket guineas meeting 2011

Options
  • 29-04-2011 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭

Can't believe there isn't already a thread up for this, Is this the knitting forum or the horse racing forum?! :pac:

Anyway, Obviously the big one is tomorrow the 2000 guineas and the day of reckoning for frankel. Won't be backing against him at all and will probably have an e/w nibble on saamidd. Viva vettori in the suffolk and astrophysical jet in the palace house.

Fillies take center stage on sunday in the 1000 guineas, Really fancy moonlight cloud and will be having a nice bet on her come sunday.

So what does everyone else fancy? And what are your opinions on frankel, Is he already past the post?

Tomorrows card:

2.00 Qipco Sponsors British Champions Series Suffolk Handicap Cl2 1m1f
    2:30 Qipco Jockey Club Stakes (Group 2) Cl1 1m4f
    3:10 Qipco 2000 Guineas (Group 1) (Entire Colts & Fillies) Cl1 1m
    3:45 Pearl Bloodstock Palace House Stakes (Group 3) Cl1 5f
    4:20 Qatar Bloodstock Handicap Cl2 6f
    4:55 Makfi Newmarket Stakes (Listed Race) Cl1 1m2f
    5:25 Qipco Supports Racing Welfare Handicap Cl2 1m

Good luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Casamento e/w for me.
    Won the Racing Post Trophy in a faster time than the great St Nicholas Abbey. Thats what all Im basing it on really:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Lads am I missing something.

The Derby is open to fillies and colts,aswell as the 2000 Guineas. Anyone know the last time fillies ran? Any why don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Cant see past Frankel and really hope he wins.

However my bet of the weekend is an E/W Guineas Double

Pathfork 2000 Guineas
    Laughing Lashes 1000 Guineas

69/1 e/w double. Go Jessie Go!!

UrbanSea wrote: »

The Derby is open to fillies and colts,aswell as the 2000 Guineas. Anyone know the last time fillies ran? Any why don't they?

I never knew that the 2000 Guineas was open to fillies. Cant find online the last time a filly ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Casamento 29.55 win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

UrbanSea wrote: »

2000 guineas is open to all three year old colts and fillies except geldings, Last filly to win it was back in 1944 or something not sure of the last one to run.

They don't run because theoretically the 1000 guineas is an easier race than the 2000 for a filly so if you have a filly you think is good enough then why risk running in the 2000 when you would have a much better chance in the 1000, It's the only reason i can see why they don't run anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

6/4 for the field compared to 1/2 for Frankel. Its really hard to say because i think he's the real deal but there are a few horses unexposed and possibly able to beat Frankel but i'd rather have that 6/4 than 1/2 but sometimes racing really can be just that simple at picking winner instead of trying to look for an e/w alternative but with the prices it plays on your mind! Think it could be one of them races to just watch and enjoy:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

The betting without the fave is great for races like this, If you fancy something but can't see past frankel.

Pathfork 5/2
    ROC 7/2
    Casamento 5/1

Todays Non-Runners so far:

4.20, (3) Alben Star and (15) State Of Mind

• Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

i've got my fingers burnt manys a time backing shorties in the guineas
    im tempted to lay frankel as a result

gone for pathfork ew at 7s hoping it's an ew bet to nothing

What a performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

amazing performance by frank
    just amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Could he jump a fence though.

Better than Kauto.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Denners.ie

Second greatest performance I've ever seen behind STS in the Prix de L'Arc.

After 3/4f you just knew he wasn't going to be caught. Amazing.

Exactly what I thought Denners. People will say it was better but the Arc is a different kettle of fish,especially when you get caught on the rail boxed in and pull like a train.

I was blown away. God he could make some sprinter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

just awesome..
    amazing...
    but over a mile and a half..
    hmmmmmmmmm

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I was blown away. God he could make some sprinter!!

Haha I thought the same. Reminds me of the freak Zarkava.
    Zarkava could have been a group 1 sprinter over 5 furlongs or could have done the fillies triple crown if you ask me.

Cecil seemed to suggest the Dante could be a possibility. I couldn't see the point of sending the horse there. He will need plenty of time to recover from today. Would it not be asking too much to go Guineas-Dante-Derby.

They must have a fair idea of whether he will stay or not. Send him to the Derby and let him bowl along in front and see how he goes. If he doesn't stay so be it.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to see him in the Derby,especially if they're going to go trailblazing with him like yesterday.

Small stakes each way on Empowering 28/1 and Laughing Lashes 20/1 for the 1000 Guineas.

Well done Al Zarooni. Backed her last time out as a 2 year old.

Great start to a training career,just his second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I thought Frankel was very impressive looking at the race. Then, I hear that the time was two seconds slower than standard. In itself, that's no big deal, but when you consider the distance he beat all the other horses by, could it just be that the current crop of 3yos are no good? They must've been ten seconds slower than standard.

gscully wrote: »
    I thought Frankel was very impressive looking at the race. Then, I hear that the time was two seconds slower than standard. In itself, that's no big deal, but when you consider the distance he beat all the other horses by, could it just be that the current crop of 3yos are no good? They must've been ten seconds slower than standard.

Strong headwind made fast time impossible.

Frankel covered the 1st 5 furlongs of the Guineas in 58.5 seconds

The Group 3 5f sprint took 59.7 seconds.

He would have won a group 3 spring on the bridle? Not half bad.

Advertisement