Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live - Streaming media

Options
  • 29-04-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Ready to scratch my eyes out at this stage.

When I was on xp this was relatively easy to do, just load my library onto Windows Media Player, allow sharing with the 360 and bang. Done. Since I moved to windows 7 though it is not easy at all.

Has anyone got a definitive method for doing this? Do I need to start port forwarding, firewall tinkering etc? Driving me nuts, I just cannot get my xbox to talk to my pc and it is making me very sad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Do you not just right click on the folder and set permission to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Fannymcslap

Nah the problem is the laptop can't even register the fact that the xbox exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Being on the xbox 360 there doesn't seem to be any easy way of using this?

Being on the xbox 360 there doesn't seem to be any easy way of using this?

It's straight forward enough on xbox as far as I remember haven't used in a bit though . Just share whatever folder you Want to watch is in and xbox should pick it up .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

just download TVersity, it'll take care of everything for you.

Nope, ps3 mediaserver refuses to spot the xbox. Considering f ucking one of them out the window.

Nope, ps3 mediaserver refuses to spot the xbox. Considering f ucking one of them out the window.

Just download tversity than Same kind of thing . I just checked there and ps3mediaserver didn't find my xbox but the xbox found the ps3mediaserver in video library

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

I've used a bunch of different things to steam to the xbox and the PS3 Media Server is by far the easiest. You just install it, add the folder where your vids are and thats it pretty much.

It will be in the My Xbox > Video Library when you switch your Xbox on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Try Zune, I used to use Tversity but it decided it didn't want to work anymore, tried Zune and it seemed to work fairly well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

do you have sharing turned on in the network and sharing center

right click on the network icon in the taskbar
    then look for advanced sharing.

everything there must be turned on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Ready to scratch my eyes out at this stage.

When I was on xp this was relatively easy to do, just load my library onto Windows Media Player, allow sharing with the 360 and bang. Done. Since I moved to windows 7 though it is not easy at all.

Has anyone got a definitive method for doing this? Do I need to start port forwarding, firewall tinkering etc? Driving me nuts, I just cannot get my xbox to talk to my pc and it is making me very sad.

I feel your pain. Went through the same thing. Like others have said TVersity is the way to go. Just download it to your laptop and your Xbox will see Tversity in the 'My Videos' section. Works for audio and pictures too. Works a treat even though according to my Xbox it still can't 'see' my laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

On the xbox, go to the place where you can test your connection to XBL. Check that you can connect to the PC. If yes happy days, it should be straight forward from there. If not, in WMP go to stream>more streaming options and enable the 360. Ensure that you have videos enabled.

Hope this helps!!

I think it's time to have a thread stickied at the top of the forum about media streaming on the xbox.

So if any of you guys feel like writing up a "HOW TO" and "Pro's & Con's" for media streaming with WMC, TVersity and PS3 MediaServer, send it on to me in a PM. I'll then cut, paste and edit them all into a comprehensive guide and credit you for your contributions.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Moose

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Hi Moose here is my first stab at the streaming for Windows Media Centre in Windows Vista and Windows 7

Guide for Streaming via Windows Vista or Windows 7 Media Centre

Pros
    ----
    Fully Intergrated with Xbox Dashboard
    Provides Live TV integration if you have TV Tuners in your HTPC
    Uses Codecs from the PC

Cons
    ----
    Not every wireless router is compatible with media sharing
    (In fact I never got it to work with the new Eircom Zyxel Modems)
    It can take a while to get the right codecs for the job, CCCP or FFDShow did the job for me

Guide

1) Ensure your Xbox and HTPC are connected either wired or wirelessly
    2) Startup your Xbox 360
    3) On the 'My Xbox' Menu scroll across until you see Windows Media Centre
    4) Click 'A'
    5) The Windows Media Centre menu will appear click 'A' again
    6) Click next and it will present you with two four digit codes, make note of these as you will need them for the Xbox
    7) Once you have the two four digit codes click 'A' again
    8) Start up the HTPC
    9) Once at the desktop open Windows Media Centre
    10) Go to Setttings and then Add Extender
    11) The setup extender menu will open
    12) It will prompt you for the two 4 digit codes that you got earlier
    13) It will then find and configure the Xbox and setup the shared media
    14) You will then see the same interface as the Windows Media Centre and it should be good to go.

Nicely done, Jimbob! Great work. I'll pit together something on TVersity later this week since I know it inside out. Just waiting for all the pieces of my new 200Mbps home network to arrive to see how that effects it's performance on streaming HD content.

Have a few ideas for some other bits to be added to JimBob's post.

What formats can be successfully watched with WMC?

What formats don't stream too well or at all?

Benefits of running a wired network over wireless and the problems encountered with setting up a wireless network?

Does anyone you know much about installing codec packs on the PC to expand what you can stream to the 360?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

wmc will play from my experience anyway

wmv, mp4, avi, mkv.

the best codecs to install to allow you to watch video files is

http://shark007.net/

they have both a version for 32 bit systems and 64 bit systems

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Geratron

Hi, I have just bought a Seagate 3TB Desktop Hard Drive and have lots of movies on it. I have set up the Windows Media Centre on my Laptop and Xbox360 and I am able to play my music and look at the photographs from my hard drive but I am not able to view my movies. They are there on the Media Centre alright but when I click into them I get a message saying that I am unable to play the file. Any ideas?
    Thanks, Gerry.

Advertisement