Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIY-Beauty board renovate ideas!

• 29-04-2011 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hiya not very DIY minded, we are renovating a little place and there is a lot of beauty board, and making one room dark. This place is a temporary measure so not sure about stripping back/replastering/repainting, can you paint over it does anyone know? Or does anyone know where I might find some info about it? thanks :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭brendankelly

Beauty board was all the go in the 70s. Usually to cover up in stone houses. It was the original drylining.

If you go to take it down you have a big job on your hands because in all probability the walls are limeplastered and the lime plaster will be failing because it could not breath properly. Also back in the day we did not have hammer drills so removing the 2 by ones if they were secured to the wall will leave holes.

My advice to you is to paint over it with undercoat paint. This paint is oil based for timber to be finished with gloss paint. If you thin down the undercoat with white spirits and give it 2 coats it will look like emulsion to the un trained eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

According to a previous thread, beauty board may be banned or at least should be condemned as a potential fire hazard.

You could remove the beauty board but leave the battens in place and just slab the wall if the battens are at the right spacing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Or leave the beauty board in situ, screw on slabs and skim. Less cutting of plasterboard :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you reslab at least the fire danger is minimised. I would reslab.

Advertisement