Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography of Latin America

Options
  • 29-04-2011 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭

I've just finished up studying for the day here for this module. Does anyone else find it a bit all over the place? I just found the whole module a bit too broad and I'm finding it difficult enough to study for as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Well let's see:

Crossa gave us 43 readings over the course of the semester, didn't tell us which ones were the key readings and which were the "supplementals" as she called them. 24 of them are on the key readings sheet she gave in the final lecture.
    She also gave out the MCQ worksheet which helps a lot but having something like "neoliberalism" and "modernisation theory" is nothing short of needlessly broad. She gave absolutely NOTHING other than the structure of the essay, I guess she wants us to study everything, which is ****ing ridiculous. I also thought that one with Hanson's interpretation of the legacy of colonialism was something definitely not needed within the confines of the MCQ.

All I know is I miss Horner's methods of giving all the lectures on BB as a focal point to study rather having to make sense of her lectures which sometimes can be frustrating and simply guessing what her essays will be. The past papers show some recurring themes (neoliberalism,American colonialism) but little in terms of substance.

It will be a busy weekend no doubt.

/rant. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 eily

In the course hand out we got on the first day, she has laid out what the required readings are and what the suggested readings are. When did she give out that MCQ sheet? I thought I was at every class, obviously not!

The MCQ sheet (or key terms) were given out in the final class. I've gone through it and it should be alright enough. And I can only dream of what she's planning for the essays. Past papers might be the only indication.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭McNuggy10

GobBass wrote: »
    The MCQ sheet (or key terms) were given out in the final class. I've gone through it and it should be alright enough. And I can only dream of what she's planning for the essays. Past papers might be the only indication.

Hey lads!!! spent the last 2 days writing out stuff on the 55 terms she gave us..Having trouble with two of them, can anyone shed any light on,
    A) Consumption Fetishism
    and
    B) Guardias Blancas?

What have you all chosen for your essay?I'm going with neo liberalism! and think I'm gonna prepare another one today on the New Left for political change just as back up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

McNuggy10 wrote: »
    Hey lads!!! spent the last 2 days writing out stuff on the 55 terms she gave us..Having trouble with two of them, can anyone shed any light on,
    A) Consumption Fetishism
    and
    B) Guardias Blancas?

What have you all chosen for your essay?I'm going with neo liberalism! and think I'm gonna prepare another one today on the New Left for political change just as back up!

Still haven't got a clue what Consumption Fetishism is..
    Eh the Guardia Blancas were armed gangs, sometimes police out of uniform, hired by landowners to break up strikes etc. by peasants in Mexico as far as I can make out.

I have neo liberalism and the new left both prepared as they both overlap an awful lot.

• Advertisement

According to Appadurai:

Consumption fetishism allows the consumer to consistently “believe that he or she is an actor, where in fact he or she is at best a chooser”.

Still haven't got a clue what Consumption Fetishism is..
    Eh the Guardia Blancas were armed gangs, sometimes police out of uniform, hired by landowners to break up strikes etc. by peasants in Mexico as far as I can make out.

I have neo liberalism and the new left both prepared as they both overlap an awful lot.

Nice one for the quick reply!!! I emailed veronica this morning asking what consumer fetishism is but I fear she won't reply incase she thinks I'm a last minute chancer ! ya no the ones that email saying oh i was sick can you help? If she does email back I'll post what she tells me!

You've done new left as well yeh? I think I'll defo do it as a back up!! Has anyone noticed that the 07/08 and 08/09 essay questions are literally identical just worded different??

GobBass wrote: »
    According to Appadurai:

Consumption fetishism allows the consumer to consistently “believe that he or she is an actor, where in fact he or she is at best a chooser”.

CHeers for that, I've been searcing online for it for ages. Thought maybe she meant commodity fetishism instead! thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

This thread is giving me horrible flashbacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

I was really sad that this module wasn't available for me in third year :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

dyl10 wrote: »
    I was really sad that this module wasn't available for me in third year :(

Don't be :p. It certainly isn't the worst course but the leftist slant of the module gets a bit tiring after a while. It would be nice to have different political opinions sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Don't be :p. It certainly isn't the worst course but the leftist slant of the module gets a bit tiring after a while. It would be nice to have different political opinions sometimes.

I reckon it's the kind of course that would really interest me.

Once you leave university 99% of what read/hear/see will be right-wing, mainstream and filtered.
    You should enjoy access to good leftist interpretation while you have it :)

Advertisement