Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of overgrown weeds/grass

• 29-04-2011 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭

Hi folks , i posted this in the gardening section and got no replies so i thought id post it here , hopefully you guys might be able to help me , at the bottom of my garden there is a section of grass/weeds that I eventually want to put decking ( no money for it at the moment) , the rest of the garden is fine , nice grass and patio areas , but this area is overgrown and a mess , I want to get rid of the weeds and grass permanently , the area is approx. 8ft x 20ft , would anybody have any ideas how to do this on a very tight budget . Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

You could spray the area with roundup or gallop. This dry spell is a good time to do this.

After this when the weeds are dead pull the lot of them and cover the area you intend to deck with some sort of membrame to prevent regrowth. I have used fertiliser bags and caolbags to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks Ryan , for an area this size how much roundup would you say I'd need , and is this available in most garden centres

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ryan T

Any DIY shop or garden centre will carry it. Its also available in Tesco etc.

8ft by 20 ft is about 18 square yards so read the back of the container for coverage

Please ensure to wear a mask when spraying and do so on a calm day to prevent spread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭sullzz

Thanks Ryan , got a 5 litre bottle of Gallup yesterday for €45 , I'll give it a go later , thanks for your advice .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Cut the grass/weeds first then spray the regrowth. 2 reasons for this first you will need less roundup and second the roundup will kill weeds quicker as it will have less trouble getting to the roots of the plants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭broadsheet

45 notes is a little expensive for weed wow, does a blow torch work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Blow torch won't kill the roots. A systemic herbicide gets down into the roots and permanently kills the weed. No point in doing a half job though 5litres for such a small area seems overkill.

Advertisement