Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

average daly gain heifers/bullocks

• 29-04-2011 10:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

what sort of average daily gain would you expect to get from either heifers or bullocks from may to nov ie. 210 - 230 days on good grass.

thinking of buying 35 300-350 kg heifers to graze for the summer ive nearly enough silage for next winter left over and i dont want to cut it

could you run bullocks and heifers together?

will bullocks do better then heifers or will they gain the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ballynag

ellewood wrote: »
    what sort of average daily gain would you expect to get from either heifers or bullocks from may to nov ie. 210 - 230 days on good grass.

thinking of buying 35 300-350 kg heifers to graze for the summer ive nearly enough silage for next winter left over and i dont want to cut it

could you run bullocks and heifers together?

will bullocks do better then heifers or will they gain the same?

i would imagine average gain over the 210 days of 210kgs.
    Bullocks and heifers can run together but you run the risk of a bullock which wasn't properly squeezed bulling half of your heifers, i would advise against it.
    Would you not be better selling the meadowing??
    Cattle prices are mad at the moment and it's hard to see you making a return.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

0.8kg/day for heifers 1.0kg/day for bullocks. You would want well managed grass for those weight gains, surely at this stage your grass is too strong for grazing unless you are going to take a light cut for bales? I normally buy cattle in the spring but didn't buy this spring as cattle are too dear, if they drop in price before the end of the year I will buy them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

no the grass is just right now about 900-1000 kgs of grass on it there were cows on it till nearly feb

i ddnt fertilise it and advertised it for 1 cut for only E50 an acre but absoutly no interest in it so its either cut or graze it and cutting it dosent seem to be any hope of making a few quid on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

no the grass is just right now about 900-1000 kgs of grass on it there were cows on it till nearly feb

i ddnt fertilise it and advertised it for 1 cut for only E50 an acre but absoutly no interest in it so its either cut or graze it and cutting it dosent seem to be any hope of making a few quid on it
    I am in the same situation as you. I will take light cuts for baling to have grass ready for grazing and hope that cattle prices will drop before the end of the year. If you buy dear now and prices drop before the end of the year any profit will be wiped out. Is your left over silage in a pit or bales?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Whereabouts in the country are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

there n bales

im in kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

ballynag wrote: »
    i would imagine average gain over the 210 days of 210kgs.
    Bullocks and heifers can run together but you run the risk of a bullock which wasn't properly squeezed bulling half of your heifers, i would advise against it.
    Would you not be better selling the meadowing??
    Cattle prices are mad at the moment and it's hard to see you making a return.:rolleyes:
    we taught then it wouldnt last looks like we were very wrong got alot better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

proceed with caution. same sentiments about house prices a few years back

Advertisement