Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat peeing at front door

• 29-04-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

Heya,
    So my cat's developed a problem where she's decided the mat by the front door is her litter box - well, only for peeing, she's still using her real litter box for the other thing.
    She's an inside cat and has never had a problem using her litter box at all.
    We tried using a deterrent spray but that didnt work, and I also read that cats don't like tin foil so we covered the mat over with that as well, but no joy. If we put her litter box by the mat she'll happily go in it then, but for whatever reason she's avoiding it when it's the normal spot and having her litter box there full time is really not ideal as it's front and center in the lounge and front door.
    She's been spayed and there have been no sudden changes in her life or anything and we live right in the middle of town, so there are no other cats around either, so I can't think of anything else that could be causing her to do this.
    If anyone knows of anyway to get her to stop this it would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

First things first get her checked by a vet, peeing anyplace other than the litter tray is a common sign of cystitis in cats.

After ruling out health reasons for her doing it are there any new cats in the neighbourhood? When a new cat starts hanging around the garden already present cats can get a bit stressed by this invasion of their territory and hence the peeing outside the litter tray. Scrap the mat and buy a new one and see if she continues to do it, it can be hard to get the smell completely (not just to human noses but also to highly sensitive cat noses) out of things, and once she gets the scent on it she'l still view it as an acceptable place to urinate.

I think Im on my 6th or 7th double duvet now in 2 years as they are too big to fit in the washing machine and for the cost to bring them to a dry cleaners I buy a new one in penneys. :rolleyes: Not to mention the vet costs for her deciding to tell me she's in pain by peeing on my bed! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Snappy the Moose

Had a similiar problem with neighbour's cat pissing on my outdoor mat, bottle of jeyes fluid on the mat cleared him fairly lively ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Thanks very much, I'll see if I can get her booked in to the vets this week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I read about a similar problem online and the advice was to try not to make a big fuss and drop everything to clean the area etc as the cat could be doing this for your attention, if you stay calm and relaxed and only give the cat attention when she is being calm it could deter this behaviour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

Blast him/her with piss, see how he/she likes it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Blast him/her with piss, see how he/she likes it.

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

Heya,
    So my cat's developed a problem where she's decided the mat by the front door is her litter box - well, only for peeing, she's still using her real litter box for the other thing.
    She's an inside cat and has never had a problem using her litter box at all.
    We tried using a deterrent spray but that didnt work, and I also read that cats don't like tin foil so we covered the mat over with that as well, but no joy. If we put her litter box by the mat she'll happily go in it then, but for whatever reason she's avoiding it when it's the normal spot and having her litter box there full time is really not ideal as it's front and center in the lounge and front door.
    She's been spayed and there have been no sudden changes in her life or anything and we live right in the middle of town, so there are no other cats around either, so I can't think of anything else that could be causing her to do this.
    If anyone knows of anyway to get her to stop this it would be greatly appreciated :)
    My cat just pee'd on the bathroom mat right infront of me! Apparently if you have builders in and they change the smell of the house they try to get it back. I read this in the book 'catwatching by desmond morris' its called territorial disruption or there is social disruption like if you get a new pet. (great book by the way)
    I think the second problem is the one for my cat as there is a cat who keeps squaring up to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nathansredarmy

tis pretty annoying my cats have recently started doing this and there not kittens they were using the tray fine for years but now they think there mental i feel there just rebelling against the tray giving me the aul 2 fingers:(

Advertisement