Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rescue dog... need advice

• 29-04-2011 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

We're collecting our rescue dog tomorrow and I'm looking for some general advice.

He's a one year old terrier x and is not toilet trained. Will it be more difficult to train him than a younger pup? I've toilet trained 4 cats, one puppy and 2 children in my lifetime but am worried about this fella not picking it up.

Secondly, any advice on integrating him with the our cats? I left the crate he'll be sleeping in in the utility room that they'll all share and they don't seem too impressed with it. What'll they be like when there's a dog in it?! How can I make things easier on the cats?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Penname wrote: »
    We're collecting our rescue dog tomorrow and I'm looking for some general advice.

He's a one year old terrier x and is not toilet trained. Will it be more difficult to train him than a younger pup? I've toilet trained 4 cats, one puppy and 2 children in my lifetime but am worried about this fella not picking it up.

Secondly, any advice on integrating him with the our cats? I left the crate he'll be sleeping in in the utility room that they'll all share and they don't seem too impressed with it. What'll they be like when there's a dog in it?! How can I make things easier on the cats?

Well done you and congrats, I would say that he would prob pick it up quicker than a new puppy and he should be able to hold it longer. Patience, treats and kitchen roll is all you need. Do you already have another dog? He will prob end up following him/her around and learn from them.

No cats so cant help on that one I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 jojo123jo

Penname wrote: »

The best advice I've heard for bringing a rescue (or ANY dog for that matter)into your house is from the Dog Whisperer, Caesar Millan. Before bringing him into your home you should establish boundaries so he'll know you're the 'pack leader' - bringing him for a long walk (don't let him pull on the lead) is the best way to do this. Also, initially, restrict where he can go in your house so he knows it's you and not him who owns the space. When it comes to feeding, don't feed him until he's calm and, take away his bowl even if he's left food uneaten so he knows you're in control. Another thing to remember is that dogs live in the 'now' so don't be feeling sorry for his background or he'll perceive this as weakness. When it comes to toilet training, just make sure you bring him outdoors regularly, particularly after eating. Dogs don't like to be near their own dirt so he'll learn quickly.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a copy of a book of Ceasar Millan. I have learned SO much for him and have a truly wonderful, friendly dog as a result. Very, very best of luck and I hope everything goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thank you both for your replies. You've given some very useful advice. Will let you know how we get on. We took down our stair gates a few weeks ago but will put one back on the bottom step to stop him going up stairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Penname

Thanks Toulouse, will look at those.

Well I was worried about the cats, I didn't think i'd have to worry about my guinea pigs. He freaked and almost got one of them in his mouth. (the door of their hutch was open while I was cleaning it). I pulled him away and said no. Apart from that, he seems ok. He hasnt met the cats yet so that'll be fun :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement