Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish TV in London

• 29-04-2011 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Does anyone know how to get Irish TV in London, my son lives there and he would like to be able to watch Hurling & Football matches etc on RTE TV3 TG4, any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

This would be the official way to get what you are looking for.

http://www.premiersports.tv/GAA.html

I'm sure there are other less official ways too, but if its just the GAA you want for £8 a month that's probably the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭rob the satman

I presume you live in Southern Ireland, If you already have Sky, you could get a second sky box and get a second subscription,even the cheapest entertainment package, that will get you the channels you mentioned, but dont get the box through sky 'cos then you've got to have it connected to the phone line, get one off e-bay or from independent satellite firm, then send box and card to your son in London
    likewise if you have had your sky over a year disconnect your box from the phone connection, when you phone Sky if they ask tell them you dont have a phone anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

I presume you live in Southern Ireland, If you already have Sky, you could get a second sky box and get a second subscription,even the cheapest entertainment package, that will get you the channels you mentioned, but dont get the box through sky 'cos then you've got to have it connected to the phone line, get one off e-bay or from independent satellite firm, then send box and card to your son in London
    likewise if you have had your sky over a year disconnect your box from the phone connection, when you phone Sky if they ask tell them you dont have a phone anymore

Phone connection isn't required for single box installations here,and hasn't been for quite a while, only Multi room subscriptions require Phone line connection and for the duration of the subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I don't think living in Cork makes much of a difference over say, Donegal. The Irish Sky subs apply across the Republic, not just in Southern or say, Eastern Ireland. :rolleyes:

The way to get a Republic of Ireland Sky box working in London is to first, buy a second hand box on eBay or anywhere else. The subscription has to be paid from Ireland so you will need to call Sky from Ireland and ask specifically for a "second hand" contract. This implies you own the box already so won't need a Sky subsidised box that Sky want you to keep plugged into a phone line.

The card will be sent to an Irish address and you will then need to pair that card to your box. This can be done outside Ireland with some careful planning but its really safer to do this inside Ireland. You need to connect your box to an existing Sky dish. Call Sky and ask them to pair your card to your box. They will ask for the serial number of the box. The pairing of the card can take a while but once its done the box and card can be used anywhere in Britain and Ireland provided the box remains connected to a Sky dish. This is to ensure the card is kept alive.

Under no circumstances ever connect the box to a UK phone line as this will kill the Irish subscription.

Do not call Sky from the UK even if you can hide your caller ID. Provided the subscription is paid for and you dont want to regularly change your channel line up then there is no need to call Sky at all.

kbell wrote: »
    Phone connection isn't required for single box installations here,and hasn't been for quite a while, only Multi room subscriptions require Phone line connection and for the duration of the subscription.

Ok, but OP still needed to know never to connect the box to phone line

• Advertisement

rlogue wrote: »
    I don't think living in Cork makes much of a difference over say, Donegal. The Irish Sky subs apply across the Republic, not just in Southern or say, Eastern Ireland. :rolleyes:

The way to get a Republic of Ireland Sky box working in London is to first, buy a second hand box on eBay or anywhere else. The subscription has to be paid from Ireland so you will need to call Sky from Ireland and ask specifically for a "second hand" contract. This implies you own the box already so won't need a Sky subsidised box that Sky want you to keep plugged into a phone line.

The card will be sent to an Irish address and you will then need to pair that card to your box. This can be done outside Ireland with some careful planning but its really safer to do this inside Ireland. You need to connect your box to an existing Sky dish. Call Sky and ask them to pair your card to your box. They will ask for the serial number of the box. The pairing of the card can take a while but once its done the box and card can be used anywhere in Britain and Ireland provided the box remains connected to a Sky dish. This is to ensure the card is kept alive.

Under no circumstances ever connect the box to a UK phone line as this will kill the Irish subscription.

Do not call Sky from the UK even if you can hide your caller ID. Provided the subscription is paid for and you dont want to regularly change your channel line up then there is no need to call Sky at all.

By "southern Ireland" I meant not living in Northern Ireland as things are different there regarding receiving the Irish PSB channels, also too as OP does not say where he lives

Thanx for explaining to OP in more detail what I advised him to do in my earlier post, it was 0240 when i replied!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

No worries, just to most Irish ears the term "Southern Ireland" means Cork and Kerry. If you want to refer to the Republic of Ireland then the "Republic" is the usual term most Irish people would use.

I'm from Donegal which is as far north in Ireland as you can get so to use the term "Southern Ireland" really grates for me at least since to enter Northern Ireland we go south!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ballybranach

thanks guys very helpful, as a matter of fact when I Got Sky many years ago as soon as the installer left the house I disconnected the phone line from box and it's still disconnected apart from when the box was replaced couple of years ago (then just disconnected phone and ran a temporary extension to box) and thats the way it's staying if they don't like it they know what they can do with their box (I got a free to air box recently and the only difference is the sports channels). Cheers and thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Would Real Digital not be an option when/if it launches ? If it has the Irish channels on it, surely it would be an easier route than all the "cloak and dagger" stuff with Sky ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Trevord

No worries, just to most Irish ears the term "Southern Ireland" means Cork and Kerry. If you want to refer to the Republic of Ireland then the "Republic" is the usual term most Irish people would use.

I'm from Donegal which is as far north in Ireland as you can get so to use the term "Southern Ireland" really grates for me at least since to enter Northern Ireland we go south!

Well to be clear the internationally recognised name of the county is Ireland as reflected in any EU or UN documentation. Republic of Ireland is what the UK (and it seems Donegal) often call Ireland. The confusion is not helped by the fact that since the 1950s "Republic of Ireland" has been the name that the Ireland soccer team has to use in FIFA tournaments.:confused:

BTW I am from Cork and would never refer to Cork or Kerry as Southern Ireland. The south of Ireland possibly but never Southern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Trevord wrote: »
    Well to be clear the internationally recognised name of the county is Ireland as reflected in any EU or UN documentation. Republic of Ireland is what the UK (and it seems Donegal) often call Ireland. The confusion is not helped by the fact that since the 1950s "Republic of Ireland" has been the name that the Ireland soccer team has to use in FIFA tournaments.:confused:

BTW I am from Cork and would never refer to Cork or Kerry as Southern Ireland. The south of Ireland possibly but never Southern Ireland.
    Same here. If someone mentioned "southern Ireland" I would think of the 26 counties in most circumstances.

Does anyone thing Real Digital will launch in the next 12 months?

Advertisement