Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal rescue cork

• 29-04-2011 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was wondering if anyone knows the name of the animal rescue centre in cork where a lot of animals were found dead. there are pictures on ispca facebook page but it doesnt say where. I have my own ideas where but cant find anything

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Animals & Pet Issues with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't think it's an animal rescue in the formal sense - i.e. a well established organisation, with lots of members, active fundraisers, website, charity status, etc.

It's probably a one-person operation - a hoarder who when questioned by ISPCA staff, claimed they were "rescuing" the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Frankish

Oh thanks. It's a very tragic outcome for the animals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I think that people who do know the name won't want to put it in the public domain as it may interfere with any court case, and it would be awful if there was no justice for the animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Yes and the worst part is that she is still leaving comments on her "rescue" page,
    The pictures that the ISPCA have posted are sickening and tbh I didnt sleep much after seeing them.
    Naming and shaming would probably not help those poor animals now.

I just hope that justice is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

from the looks of it it looks like it was more of a hoarding unregistered "rescue shelter". registered shelters get grants to help fund there amazing work. but the establishments are inspected before grants are issued.

It would amazing result to get a conviction and justice in court! So I think the name of the "rescue" is being kept quite incase it interferes with the court case.

I dont know the name of the "shelter" in question. but I know the general area its reported to be in...the sad thing is..there is another very well known dog shelter in the area. who do great work! everything above board ect. People are now assuming the story is about this shelter!

So not only have the people neglected and abused the animals in there care..they have also damaged the reputations of other shelters who are really trying to help animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The ISPCA have some photos on their facebook page of the scene here ---> http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/fbx/?set=a.205788339444128.50350.191858790837083

Some of these images are quite disturbing so be warned.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I know the name of this 'rescue' and I actually fostered two dogs for them over the past few months. I never saw the premises (the dogs were dropped off to me) but the second I saw the ISPCA photos I knew who it was cos I recognised one of the dogs. Then I had my few minutes of freaking out because the last foster went back before he found a home, and I rang the ISPCA to find out if he was alright. Thakfully he's fine and they already have him booked for a home but I was so bloody angry about this. And the akita that died? We were supposed to foster her as well, and she was a beautiful dog. It really is heartbreaking seeing the state those dogs were in. Whatever this 'rescue' gets for this, they've got coming to them. I just hope the poor dogs really will get justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i was wondering about the name too,,if you cant give it can you tell me the area it is based ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

It is NOT Glansillagh, DAWG, Cork Animal Care Society etc

This person is a complete nutter and apparently it wasn't the first time either.

She is no more a rescue than I am Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I find it so sad - what the hell she gain from it?

Fingers and paws x that those animals will recover 100% and that they will live happily in their new homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Lady Lainy

I read the story on Thursday or Friday in the ISCPA newsletter, but its taken until now to look at the pictures. couldn't bring my self look at them....kinda wish i hadnt....i'm physically in bits, feel sick to the pit of my stomach.

I wasn't aware of this.....establishment...i refuse to even refer to it as a rescue/shelter. Its taken me few hours to actually find the name of the place. So clearly not legit if the name of the place wasn't that well known on the internet...and everything is on the internet!

But as someone above already said:
    It is NOT NOT NOT NOT

Cork Dog Action Welfare
    Glansillagh Animal Rescue
    Cork Animal Care Society

But now more than ever these places need our help. Cork/Munster is going to become very negative and wary of shelters after this case!

Give when and where you can, a bag of lidl dog food, an hour of your time, a couple of weeks fostering while the kids are off school! anything....PLEASE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Oh - thank goodness it wasn't the Cork Animal Care Society. I gave the lady some of my leftover cat stuff when my old boy left. She's so nice, I would've been gutted if it were her...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

It's also NOT Pauline's Rescue. She's a dote and mad about dogs.

Oh - thank goodness it wasn't the Cork Animal Care Society. I gave the lady some of my leftover cat stuff when my old boy left. She's so nice, I would've been gutted if it were her...

Anne is brilliant and we have worked together on several occasions, she even fostered a wee Staffie for EGAR once :). Anne is especially great with tiny kittens. Love her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Another horrific example of a backyard hoarder posing as a "rescue centre"....
    After a period of investigation, last week ISPCA Inspector Lisa O’Donovan and the Gardai closed in on a self-styled animal rescue centre in County Cork. Twenty seven dogs of various breeds were removed from the property while three dead dogs were also found on site.

The surviving dogs had been subjected to varying levels of neglect with most being underweight while mange was also endemic. The dogs were also housed in highly unsuitable conditions. A number of animals were discovered crammed into a shed with no light and no water. Debris and rubble was strewn all over the floor so there was no comfortable lying area for the dogs.

The rescue had come to the attention of the ISPCA following a case of abandonment in a dwelling known to be one of the locations where the rescue kept animals. The investigating Inspector was horrified to find the conditions in which the animals had been housed.

On foot of the seizure of the animals, the Inspector visited a separate address from where the rescue had being operating a month previously. More grizzly discoveries were made at this location. “Nothing could have prepared me for what I saw” stated Inspector O’Donovan as she described the conditions on the property “It’s clear that the majority of the animals were living inside the dwelling, there was animal excrement and rubbish in every single room of the house, the stench was so bad all the windows and doors had to be opened for a few hours to make it bearable enough to enter.” A thorough search of the house resulted in the finding of a large number of dead animals, predominantly cats, in various states of decomposition. In one of the rooms was the body of a dog, identified as an Akita, which had been locked in the room and had tried to eat its way out. It was a grim heart-breaking discovery.

Thankfully, the dogs were surrendered to the care of the ISPCA and are undergoing veterinary treatment for their skin problems. Their nutritional requirements are being addressed and they are receiving whatever medication is required. We are delighted to report that they will soon be available for adoption. If you are interested in re-homing any of these dogs please contact the ISPCA National Animal Centre.

& especially for EGAR LINK ....dont want to get accused of "stealing" :rolleyes:

Awww, well done, Gozunda, see that didn't hurt and only took a few seconds!

And no, this is not another one but the one we are discussing on this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

EGAR wrote: »
    Awww, well done, Gozunda, see that didn't hurt and only took a few seconds!

And no, this is not another one but the one we are discussing on this thread.

Still not to sure on how to paraphrase then EGAR? ;) There are plenty of people out there who can give tips on using factual information from reputable sources without using quotes! Gosh I'm sure we talked about a similar situation in the same geographic area not too long ago...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Frankish

Thanks everyone for your responses. It is a really sad situation. All those poor cats and kittens and that poor dog. Heartbreaking. Hard to believe people can do that to animals

Advertisement