Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Maths Equation Help !!!!

• 30-04-2011 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Quick question what the answer to this equation and why ... 6/2(1+2). I think its 9 but I know people saying 1 for some reason even though using BOMDAS you get 9. Thanks for yout time :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

6/2(1+2)
    6/2(3)
    6/6

That's what I got.

Depends if you consider 6/2 a fraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭skyscraperblue

Is this from Facebook? :rolleyes: I was reading it this morning I believe.

Applying BOMDAS means starting with the Brackets, which means first you add one and two. so...

6 / 2(1+2)
    6 / 2(3)
    6 / 6 = 1

Someone in the Facebook comments had some other acronym that they used that gave nine, but I'm sticking with BOMDAS here. How did your BOMDAS way give nine?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Chemistry Ftw

the thread has returned :P the answer is 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I got one. I used BIRDMAS. Saw it on facebook too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

Yea it was on Facebook... But 6/2(1+2)
    6/2(3)
    3(3) = 9 Because what if you were to look at it like this
    6(1+2) It would be 3(3) so 9 would be the answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭SellingJuan

6(1+2) .... Just incase I didnt make it clear sorry :) Imagine you wrote
    That out on a sheet of paper putting the 6 over the 2

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

6(1+2) It would be 3(3) so 9 would be the answer :)
    What...?

6(1+2) = 6(3) = 18

I must be missing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I got 1.

This thing is all over Facebook.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

There's a large thread about in the Mathematics forum.

Particularly look at nickcave's post (Post Number 38)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Suppose it depends on how you look at the question..

6/2(1+2)

Could be took as 3(3) which is where people are getting the 9, but it's not correct.

The whole end of the equation is 2(1+2) = 6

Therefore the equation actually is: 6/6

Therefore, the answer is one.. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Is this from Facebook? :rolleyes: I was reading it this morning I believe.

Applying BOMDAS means starting with the Brackets, which means first you add one and two. so...

6 / 2(1+2)
    6 / 2(3)
    6 / 6 = 1

Someone in the Facebook comments had some other acronym that they used that gave nine, but I'm sticking with BOMDAS here. How did your BOMDAS way give nine?

Bomdas doesn't mean 'first of all simplify what's in the brackets AND multiply', it just means 'first of all simplify what's in the brackets'.

I think everyone agrees that it simplifies to 6/2*3, but after that it's ambiguous... And bomdas doesn't help, since equal precedence is given to multiplication and division. If this was written by hand it would be clear what to do, but on a computer screen it's difficult to know whether the 3 is above or below the line. I think it's mathematically correct to go left to right here, so you get 3x3 = 9.

But there will always be disagreement about it if it's written like 6/2(1+2). The only thing that's sure is that it should be written using brackets... It's the same as badly writing an English sentence... There could be a huge difference between 'I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off a horse'!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

The equation is written badly and therefore there can be two possible answers. There are simply not enough brackets.

Consider

1. 6/(2x3) = 1

2. (6/2)3 = 9

6/2(1+2) is simply incomplete.

See diagram:

Advertisement