Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A guy and his toolkit

• 30-04-2011 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭

In other parts of TGC, I've come across some posters who think it's acceptable....nay..... a 21st century necessity...for the woman in their lives, to maintain control over the household toolkit..

.....spanners, wrenches, oily ball bearings, screw-drivers, Stanley knives as well as shovels, rakes and other implements of destruction.... all under the control of the female in the household...

Is a guy's life really worth living if he can't wreck the entire back garden with 6 tons of Bryko Gold pebbles or knock down an entire supporting interior wall without working under supervision from his female partner?

*picture of current toolkit optional*

pink-tool-box-s.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

On my key-chain: keys, Leatherman Squirt, a steel bottleopener, and a fire extinguisher pin.

Helps fix most problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

the_syco wrote: »
    On my key-chain: keys, Leatherman Squirt, a steel bottleopener, and a fire extinguisher pin.

Helps fix most problems.

I've something like that, by which I mean a cheap Lidl version of it. Works a charm though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

You know you are a real man when you have in your possession a stick... which is used for the sole purpose of stirring paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

I've a garage dedicated to bikes and tools. No woman tells me what to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Galvasean wrote: »
    You know you are a real man when you have in your possession a stick... which is used for the sole purpose of stirring paint.

I have many sticks. I now declare myself Emporer of TGC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I done some painting last week and was a little pee'd off to find that my wife had cleaned out my man drawer, "aaahh where's my stiring stick?"

Your wha??

So I went to the cuttlery drawer and used a spoon:D.

She wasn't happy.

suey71 wrote: »
    I done some painting last week and was a little pee'd off to find that my wife had cleaned out my man drawer, "aaahh where's my stiring stick?"

Your wha??

So I went to the cuttlery drawer and used a spoon:D.

She wasn't happy.

Let that be a lesson to all ye wimmin folk reading this thread. NEVER mess with a man's stirring stick unannounced!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

a stick??
    FFS just use a wire hanger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

a stick??

lol a wire hanger? you'd be there all day.

krudler wrote: »
    lol a wire hanger? you'd be there all day.

Nope, you wouldn't. You can bend the hanger so that you have two or four parts going through the paint, akin to a mixer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

a stick??

yea, and use a butter knife to cut steak

Korvanica wrote: »
    yea, and use a butter knife to cut steak

*shakes head in despair*

don't believe me then....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

a stick??
    You're doing it wrong

*shakes head in despair*

don't believe me then....

a small tin sure, but try stirring a 10l tub of emulsion or something with a hanger and you'll be at it for ages, spent most of my teens working in my parents paint and wallpaper shop, you learn these things :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Chnandler Bong

I'm thinking The Morrigan is a Female..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

You're not a man until you own a pointy nose pliers and you own both a file AND a rasp.

or a rag, all men own a rag for cleaning assorted things, applying paint stripper, polishing random stuff, wiping off excess paint. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Good grief.

Tools, both power and manual, are my jurisdiction. She does the sewing and knitting.

Going to be painting soon, so I have to go and investigate a good stick, for stirring of paint, and pointing out where the paint will go. Will also need a good rag to mop up the paint I will inevitably drip while pointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

cantdecide wrote: »
    You're not a man until you own a pointy nose pliers and you own both a file AND a rasp.

Your getting technical there, I don't even have a hammer.

A good solid rock is all you need IMO.

A rock and a good stick.

Oh and a butter knife to cut steak with and to open paint tins:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Count Duckula

In my soon-to-be home my girlfriend will own the toolkit and do all of the DIY and I will sit around eating chocolate and being scared of spiders :D

Wouldn't have it any other way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

In my soon-to-be home my girlfriend will own the toolkit and do all of the DIY and I will sit around eating chocolate and being scared of spiders :D

Wouldn't have it any other way.

LEAVE TGC.....NOW!:mad:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Your tool kit only needs two items: WD40 and a welder. If it moves and it shouldn't, weld it. If it doesn't move and it should, WD40. Then weld it. Just to teach it a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

suey71 wrote: »
    ...Oh and a butter knife to cut steak with and to open paint tins:D...

and for removing bicycle inner tubes :D

ahhhh ... God be with the days....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

You're not really a man untill you've completely wallpapered a room and made an absolute tits of it.

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Your tool kit only needs two items: WD40 and a welder. If it moves and it shouldn't, weld it. If it doesn't move and it should, WD40. Then weld it. Just to teach it a lesson.

Ah, see i go with a hammer and cable ties.

If it moves and shouldn't? Cable ties.
    If it doesn't and should? Hammer.

Third option? Doing it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Essential things to own if you're a lad:

-Hammer
    -Set of screwdrivers (flat and phillips head)
    -Set of allen keys
    -A phase tester
    -Measuring tape
    -Duct tape
    -A flat head screwdriver specifically used to open paint cans.
    -WD40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The only toolkit you'll ever need:
    157640.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Allen keys should be banned from toolkits. They are the stupidest invention of DIY. Why can't manufactuers just give me lots of screws... :(
    You're not really a man untill you've completely wallpapered a room and made an absolute tits of it.

Pffff, real men don't use wallpaper. It's paint or nothing.

Pffff, real men don't use wallpaper. It's paint or nothing.
    Indeed; and there is but one way to apply said paint:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 RandomnoobIII

a glass hammer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

The paint stirring stick made me laugh cos it's so true.:pac:

Don't know how common this is, but my boyfriend has a box full of wires.
    Scart leads, rgb cables, various plug leads of old electrical items, I dunno what else, it just seems like a big bunch of wires to me!
    But god forbid if you suggest that maybe he doesn't need so many wires, these are very important wires you see that could "come in handy" for something. :D
    [The thing is though that they usually actually do come in handy, whether something breaks down or a friend needs a lend, he always has something that will work, he just has so many different kinds though, ha ha!]

Wires, Batteries, screwdrivers,hammer, knives, wall putty/filler, and various bits of twine and rope. I just leave him to his little collection!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭sean_d

The version I have heard is that a man has turned into his father the moment he sets aside a stick specifically for stirring paint with.

My tool kit would be fairly standard of bangy things, turning things and sharp things; but for me, owning and the ability to at least look like you know to use a multimeter is the mark of a true man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Your not a proper man until you are sleeping in the same room as hedge strimmer, chainsaw parts and a angle grinder and wake to the smell of petrol in the morning ..... or maybe that's crazy .... :confused: ...... ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭heffo500

I have to say I couldn't be without my tools unlike most I don't just have a shed or a drawer of tools I've got two workshops full of them :D. From gardening tools etc Stihl Chainsaws to Bosch Miter saws and dont even get me started on the rest...

Scart leads, rgb cables, various plug leads of old electrical items, I dunno what else, it just seems like a big bunch of wires to me!
    But god forbid if you suggest that maybe he doesn't need so many wires, these are very important wires you see that could "come in handy" for something. :D
    [The thing is though that they usually actually do come in handy, whether something breaks down or a friend needs a lend, he always has something that will work, he just has so many different kinds though, ha ha!]

Damn right. Just today I had to re-wire 3 televisions, a broadband router, a home PC and a Nintendo Wii. And to think, they called me a pack-rat with all of my assorted wires!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The paint stirring stick made me laugh cos it's so true.:pac:

Wires, Batteries, screwdrivers,hammer, knives, wall putty/filler, and various bits of twine and rope. I just leave him to his little collection!:)

There are two types of people in this world. Those who are prepared for rewiring, and those who are not. We call those last people, amateurs. Leave him to his wires, they will save your life one day. Or not..
    Damn right. Just today I had to re-wire 3 televisions, a broadband router, a home PC and a Nintendo Wii. And to think, they called me a pack-rat with all of my assorted wires!

Thank you! Why dont people understand the importance of having 5 spare HDMI/Scart cables? Just in case like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Oh God yeah! i have a large box of them under my bed and two drawers full too. When I was at home they drove my ma mental for some reason... now I am in my own place they drive Herself mental.

Women just don't *get* how important it is to be able to lay your hand on a phono to minijack cable or a firewire at a moments rummage!

I once considered buying one of these in Aldi when they were on sale for about EUR70...
    1271944735.jpg

...until it dawned on me..."I don't have any trees in my garden...":(

You could always cut down the neighbours :confused:, just a suggestion sure they wouldn't mind.

Trekmad wrote: »
    You could always cut down the neighbours :confused:, just a suggestion sure they wouldn't mind.

Cut down the neighbours????...with a chainsaw???...is there not laws against that kind of stuff?:confused::p

• Advertisement

There is only one way were going to find out. (oh were talking about trees ... right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

love this one... =) misc parts are very important (=
    2011-05-06-tink-rules.jpg

cocoa wrote: »
    love this one... =) misc parts are very important (=
    2011-05-06-tink-rules.jpg

And that has been promptly stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

irwin-vise-grip-locking-plier-10.jpg

Seriously lads, no one has mentioned a vise grips????

Literally the only tool you will ever need. Makes all of the following tools totally redundant:

pliers
    snips
    spanners from 1mm to 32(approx)
    same goes for sockets
    Hammer
    clamps

The list is endless! An entire toolkit for around 15 or 20 quid! And it fits in your back pocket:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tools are accumulated over time. When you need a particular tool for a job you go out and buy it, use it once and then store it lovingly in your shed, knowing that someday someone will be in need and you will rise to the occasion with , "Why yes, I do have a spokeshaven", or "Indeed, my Adze is sharp."
    Now, at the ripe oul age of fecking ancient I can lay claim to 5 tool boxes, a couple of tool belts and two, yes count them, TWO sheds for the tools that don't fit into the toolboxes.
    The Leatherman might be nice and convienent but it's no substiture or as impressive as taking out a genny and fireing it up just to pump up a football.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    The Leatherman might be nice and convienent but it's no substiture or as impressive as taking out a genny and fireing it up just to pump up a football.
    Among the most impressive things I ever saw was a guy who fired up the welder to generate a spark to light the acetylene torch in order to light a cigarette. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I only recently finished building a workshed,only to have her indoors trying to slip her way in with the wash basket and hoover.
    "OUT OUT" I says,none of that gurrly stuff in here.
    Not impressed:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Give it time mate.Before too long she will have a mini washing line hung up in it!

Just for when its raining of course.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

This is when your Shed becomes a Should. "That should be here and this should there...". Pfft, wimmins. :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Give it time mate.Before too long she will have a mini washing line hung up in it!

Just for when its raining of course.

;)

That's been tried already,only along the lines of the line itself getting dirty outdoors.....

Hence this:pac:

It feels like I'm in the trenches waiting for the next wave of attacks...:pac::D

• Advertisement
Advertisement