Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A guy and his toolkit

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I have a toolkit - it was given to me by my ex-housemate who thought I'd be able to use it when I moved into a place on my own.

I put my hand it in once and cut myself on something sharp in it and it's now considered by me to be a little bag of evilness.

It's put to great use when I have to ask friends to do DIY type stuff around the apartment though. They hammer/ saw/ hang/ fix and I cook stuff to eat afterwards. It seems like a great deal to me. And in fairness I can help moving heavy stuff. I'm awesome at that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

and two, yes count them, TWO sheds for the tools that don't fit into the toolboxes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLjS3gzHetA

Luxury! I'd love a shed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

And just remember......................When the wheelbarrow needs fixing...........real men lie down under it to carry out the repair.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Don't know how common this is, but my boyfriend has a box full of wires. Scart leads, rgb cables, various plug leads of old electrical items, I dunno what else, it just seems like a big bunch of wires to me!
    The Golden Rule is that you'll only need something the week after you throw it out.

That female XLR to female 5-Pin DIN adaptor? I'm gonna need that someday, biatch!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cicero wrote: »
    In other parts of TGC, I've come across some posters who think it's acceptable....nay..... a 21st century necessity...for the woman in their lives, to maintain control over the household toolkit..

.....spanners, wrenches, oily ball bearings, screw-drivers, Stanley knives as well as shovels, rakes and other implements of destruction.... all under the control of the female in the household...

Is a guy's life really worth living if he can't wreck the entire back garden with 6 tons of Bryko Gold pebbles or knock down an entire supporting interior wall without working under supervision from his female partner?

My drill bit set and screwdriver set have disappeared after the bf went on one of his cleaning rampages :(
    Galvasean wrote: »
    You know you are a real man when you have in your possession a stick... which is used for the sole purpose of stirring paint.

Ya need to keep it cleanish tho!
    krudler wrote: »
    or a rag, all men own a rag for cleaning assorted things, applying paint stripper, polishing random stuff, wiping off excess paint. :pac:

Mine also disappeared in the tsunami that was himself cleaning.
    In my soon-to-be home my girlfriend will own the toolkit and do all of the DIY and I will sit around eating chocolate and being scared of spiders :D

Wouldn't have it any other way.

It's birds with himself, a few weeks ago I get a call in work, now we never ring each other in work, so I guessed it was important.

As follows:

Me: Hello?
    Him: You know I am afraid of birds?
    Me: No
    Him: Well there is one in the house, what do I do?
    Me: Open all windows and doors, and bird will fly out?
    Him: Can't.
    Me: Why not?
    Him: Can't go into bird room.
    Me: ok, well that's what you need to do? otherwise just wait till I get home and I'll deal with it?
    Him *sulky tone*: Ok
    Me: Your laptop in there?
    Him: Yes.
    Me: Well do as I suggested or else wait.
    Him: Ok.

I once considered buying one of these in Aldi when they were on sale for about EUR70...
    1271944735.jpg

...until it dawned on me..."I don't have any trees in my garden...":(

I did too, we have leylandi that need taming and a climbing ivy from neighbours that needs removing :)
    cedan wrote: »

Seriously lads, no one has mentioned a vise grips????

Literally the only tool you will ever need. Makes all of the following tools totally redundant:

pliers
    snips
    spanners from 1mm to 32(approx)
    same goes for sockets
    Hammer
    clamps

The list is endless! An entire toolkit for around 15 or 20 quid! And it fits in your back pocket:D

You forgot that they are good for opening stubborn bottles?
    staker wrote: »
    I only recently finished building a workshed,only to have her indoors trying to slip her way in with the wash basket and hoover.
    "OUT OUT" I says,none of that gurrly stuff in here.
    Not impressed:pac:

I built a shed, and now himself indoors has taken it upon himself to heap random household crap in it :( I'd visions for that shed, not piles of carpet and junk, I thought shelves, toolkits, order and calm.

Plus a comfy chair for those reflective moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

One of the best kitchen knives you can buy..Henckel Chef's knife..the balance, the sharpness of the blade...the knife does the work and you get to keep all of your fingers....

6397E581.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

The only knife you'll ever need
    2cxbvk6.jpg
    From stripping wires to cutting steak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

In other parts of TGC, I've come across some posters who think it's acceptable....nay..... a 21st century necessity...for the woman in their lives, to maintain control over the household toolkit.
    Name and shame.

Nevore wrote: »
    Name and shame.

I'll go check to see how much they'll pay me to keep quiet-if they refuse, I'll be back with the names

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

Hmmm, I didn't realize men felt this way, op.
    I've always had to fix things (like most women) and have accumulated a tool kit (not a pink one) out of necessity, not out of a possesive need to supervise men or construction projects. I would like not being the one to fix things, alas, the men in my life have never been adept at repairs.

Kiva.D wrote: »
    Hmmm, I didn't realize men felt this way, op.
    I've always had to fix things (like most women) and have accumulated a tool kit (not a pink one) out of necessity, not out of a possesive need to supervise men or construction projects. I would like not being the one to fix things, alas, the men in my life have never been adept at repairs.

...while I started this thread with a certain "tongue in cheek'ness", now that you ask, it would probably feel a bit weird as a man, not being able to do basic DIY and having to depend on a female to do it for me..."honey, will you fix the shed door please?"...naw, can't get my head around that...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,162 ✭✭✭Kiva.D

...while I started this thread with a certain "tongue in cheek'ness", now that you ask, it would probably feel a bit weird as a man, not being able to do basic DIY and having to depend on a female to do it for me..."honey, will you fix the shed door please?"...naw, can't get my head around that...:p
    I wish I knew more men like that - I consider it rather chivalrous.
    I just fixed the back gate and the toilet (yuck) while my male housemate watched TV...

Kiva.D wrote: »
    I wish I knew more men like that - I consider it rather chivalrous.
    I just fixed the back gate and the toilet (yuck) while my male housemate watched TV...

no doubt he has other talents like flower arranging...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I still believe a propper toolkit is a mans reserve , that said I dont let most people touch my tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Is it possible that the men who are 'into' toolkits are those that typically spend every day in front of a computer, and are desperately clinging to a romanticised manliness, i.e. the essence of owning a toolkit as opposed to the everyday practicality it affords?

Like, I can't really see a blockie or carpenter being so um...into their shed and their tool kits... Maybe they feel like that about computers or business cards.

Just a thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Is it possible that the men who are 'into' toolkits are those that typically spend every day in front of a computer, and are desperately clinging to a romanticised manliness, i.e. the essence of owning a toolkit as opposed to the everyday practicality it affords?

Like, I can't really see a blockie or carpenter being so um...into their shed and their tool kits... Maybe they feel like that about computers or business cards.

Just a thought!

I like my tools a lot , but they still get some fierce abuse on a daily basis , at the end of the day theyre still tools

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I still believe a propper toolkit is a mans reserve , that said I dont let most people touch my tools
    I like my tools a lot , but they still get some fierce abuse on a daily basis

I think we all know where this is heading......

innuendo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Just a thought!

No. I've been mad about tools since I was a kid and didn't have the internet, I'd always work on my bike and then progressed onto cars/mx bikes/downhill bikes. My grandad handed me down all his tools as well so I can basically do anything that needs fixing at the age of 19. I care for the tools but at the end of the day they're going to wear out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

cedan wrote: »
    Seriously lads, no one has mentioned a vise grips????

Literally the only tool you will ever need. Makes all of the following tools totally redundant:

pliers
    snips
    spanners from 1mm to 32(approx)
    same goes for sockets
    Hammer
    clamps

The list is endless! An entire toolkit for around 15 or 20 quid! And it fits in your back pocket:D

While i agree somewhat, there are places a vice grips just cant go that a long nose sorts nicely.

I might as well have surgically attached a long nose to my hand in the last place i worked. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I've thousands spent on tools, but my favourites are my late Dad's hammer and vice grips. Bless his cotton socks, there were the only 2 things he knew how to use. I'm still fixing his screw ups over at Mum's house 20 years on :pac:

• Advertisement

"Dads toolbox" was a sacrosanct place - he always said, "Son" (well, he didn't say "son", I'm just doing that for effect)...he said "Son, never lend out your tools to anyone"...thought at the time "feic, ure a stingy so-and-so..."...years later, from experience of lending out various bits and pieces, I know exactly what he meant...lawnmower returned in bits....ladder broken....wheelbarrow rusted and full of dried cement...hell, he knew what he was talking about....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

"Dads toolbox" was a sacrosanct place - he always said, "Son" (well, he didn't say "son", I'm just doing that for effect)...he said "Son, never lend out your tools to anyone"...thought at the time "feic, ure a stingy so-and-so..."...years later, from experience of lending out various bits and pieces, I know exactly what he meant...lawnmower returned in bits....ladder broken....wheelbarrow rusted and full of dried cement...hell, he knew what he was talking about....
    This. A hundred times this. I'd lend out my stirring stick and that's about it. Surrender all hope of getting anything back in the original state.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

As I posted tongue in cheekness but in my house the tools, drills, screwdrivers, tape measures, hammers etc are mine.

His OCD has resulted in them being in hibernation :(
    no doubt he has other talents like flower arranging...:D

Tsk, tsk, I regularly get lovely flowers from my OH and on my lazy days after I've slaved away replacing lamps he arranges them most decoratively :D

Just a thought!

I was a destructive child I took stuff apart to see if I could put it back together, and developed a love of tools at that point.

I think the key thing if you are into tools is that you know what you do and don't have and it's maddening to think that x tool is in y place and then it's not :( And god knows what's happened to it :(

I'd a similiar issue one year when the OH's kids had a party and in some drunken game saw fit to hide all the knives in the house, including my €50 plus per knife cooking knives (I like cooking)

They were so drunk when they hid them they couldn't remember doing it, I held them hostage until they were found.

Advertisement