Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No gym in UCD in May-January?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Offside

NotExactly wrote: »
    What would be the best thing to do between September and January,Could I get 3 months membership in a Gym nearby?

Crunch is staying open till January now!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Offside wrote: »
    Crunch is staying open till January now!

I'm only planning on goin' to UCD in September so I don't know what the story is with the Gym sorry. Can I get membership in Crunch until the new Gym opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

I'm only planning on goin' to UCD in September so I don't know what the story is with the Gym sorry. Can I get membership in Crunch until the new Gym opens?

Yes you can join the current one which is staying open untill april of next year. The new one was supposed to open in september but has been delayed until january at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭supernutrino

You should, the new one is a bit of a mirage, its opening in 3 months, no wait 6 months, no wait next year...keeps moving further and further away.

Thing about the UCD crunch is its a little pokey but because of this its cheaper than most CRUNCH gyms.
    Better go go as early in the morning as possible that way everythings in its right place and its not full to the brim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I remember starting 1st year in 2004, the new student centre and the gym were meant to be built before I finished my degree! Now here I am, 2 masters and a year of work later and it still isn't open :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

This is the gym I use and I didn't even know it was closing!! That's ridiculous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This is the gym I use and I didn't even know it was closing!! That's ridiculous!!!

It isn't closing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 crysta

the new gym has been postponed cause a beam in the roof of the new centre has failed a stress test and all supports and the part of the roof that has been put up has to be redone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

crysta wrote: »
    the new gym has been postponed cause a beam in the roof of the new centre has failed a stress test and all supports and the part of the roof that has been put up has to be redone

shock horror

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

That's old news, though. I heard about that back in early May. Timeline I heard was for contruction to be finished late this year, but probably not occupied till next september

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Starting in UCD (grad student) in September and wondering what the price of the membership is for Crunch on accounts of the new gym not being opened 'til Jan at the latest?

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Look whos talking

I don't think any student should deserve to use the college gym for free, in most colleges you have to pay for it and as it is a business at the end of the day I have no problem paying for this service , the students in Trinity have an extra fee placed on top of their registration costs to cover gym membership that is why they get to use it for 'free'.

hada wrote: »
    Starting in UCD (grad student) in September and wondering what the price of the membership is for Crunch on accounts of the new gym not being opened 'til Jan at the latest?

Cheers!

They have a deal going at the moment of e175 membership until the end of April. I'm sure it will be cheaper come September seeing as it is a shorter time. I can't remember how much it usually is but I think its c. 125 for September - May. Probably will be the same this year I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

I also agree completely that alumni that have paid for this new gym should get a free year long membership. I was there when it was proposed to the SU. They said it'd be finished by around early 2009. When this was fed to the general student population, those who normally vote (the first years) probably thought "Oh great, I'll have a nice new gym and pool by the time I'm in final year". Of course that didn't happen. It's a joke. We ended up paying for something (as did years behind us) that we may never get the chance to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bump:

Whens the gym due to open?

AdamD wrote: »
    Bump:

Whens the gym due to open?

From the UCD Student Centre facebook page:
    The construction phase is due for completion around Feb. There will then be a testing phase and it is hoped that the building will be open around May. Tours of the building will be carried out before the building has fully open to let people see what will be available in the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

WeeBushy wrote: »
    From the UCD Student Centre facebook page:

4 month testing - w00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Realistically it will be September I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I don't think any student should deserve to use the college gym for free, in most colleges you have to pay for it and as it is a business at the end of the day I have no problem paying for this service , the students in Trinity have an extra fee placed on top of their registration costs to cover gym membership that is why they get to use it for 'free'.

AFAIK they pay 75 quid which covers a lot of things including the gym, quite like how we pay 186 quid or whatever it is to cover a lot of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Will this gym opening in May be free to current students?

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Will this gym opening in May be free to current students?

Yup, well it'll probably be included in the reg fee. In Trinity they have the same system whereby everyone pays a nominal amount which is included in the reg fee and then all students have access to the facilities. As RMD mentioned, could well be what UCD will do using the student levy fee in a similar manner. So its a 'free' gym :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nicolar1

flyefit ranelagh and rock fitness dundrum both have student deals.

nicolar1 wrote: »
    flyefit ranelagh and rock fitness dundrum both have student deals.

Flyefit offer a very low membership fee, €29/month or €259 for a year, but do they have a specific student deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I hope there will be some sort of registration etc. required and it wont be a case of any student can just walk in and use it on a whim.

The idea of even bigger hordes of retards cluttering up the weights area than we already have in Crunch (and Crunch is bad) is not to be encouraged.

Advertisement