Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

waters breaking

Options
  • 30-04-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

my daughters waters have broken shes due on wedsnday yet when she went to the hospital they said she wasnt in labour does labour usually start within a few hours their keeping her in on my 3 the midwives broke my waters as i was dilated just wondering ( a nervous 1st time gran to be ) :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

It really depends, the majority of times when the waters break labour will start in 48 hours but not 100% of the time.

My waters broke 4 weeks early on my little girl but labour did not start and they kept me in the hospital for 5 days before inducing me because she was early. It would not be normal that they leave you for 5 days with no waters so don't worry about that, it's just because my little one was early.

I'm guessing (and I could be wrong) but with the bank holiday on Monday the hospital probably would not have scheduled many planned inductions over the weekend/monday so if that was the case and she hasn't gone into labour naturally in the next day or so then they might suggest an induction. (depends on the hospital really)

Don't be nervous (harder than it sounds I know) she's in the best possible place and soon you'll be holding your new grandchild :) There is no better feeling than a new baby in the family :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My waters broke at home on Sunday at 1am and I was considered 'in labour' ie 3cm dilated at 12am Monday morning and my son was born at 4am. I started having contractions within hours of my waters breaking but they were irregular.

The coombe said if labour hadn't started by Monday morning 7am I'd be
    induced but thankfully my baby obliged by coming of his own free will.

If baby isn't born within 18 hours of waters breaking a paediatrician will do a blood test when the baby is born, the results take 48 hours to come back and mother and baby have to stay in hospital until they do so they can't be released early. This happened to us and in hindsight I was glad as I found the first couple of days as a first time mum daunting and was glad to have the midwives support.

Best of luck to your daughter and hopefully your grandchild will be here very soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Lola18

In some cases your waters can break weeks before you go into labour as this happened one of my friends, her waters broke 3 and a half week before she went into labour and they kept her in to keep an eye on her as the risk of infection is higher. Usually after your waters break though you will go into labour pretty quick, I just but in a few cases it doesnt, its nothing to worry about though she's in good hands I'm sure. Hope all goes well for her x

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Lola18 wrote: »
    In some cases your waters can break weeks before you go into labour as this happened one of my friends, her waters broke 3 and a half week before she went into labour and they kept her in to keep an eye on her as the risk of infection is higher. Usually after your waters break though you will go into labour pretty quick, I just but in a few cases it doesnt, its nothing to worry about though she's in good hands I'm sure. Hope all goes well for her x

Yep. I can vouch for that. my waters broke at 29 weeks and I didn't have my son till 34 weeks. Was kept in for that time in the Rotunda and monitored for infection. With my 1st son my waters broke on the Friday night at 40 wks, he was due on the Saturday and they ended up inducing my on the drip as I had no dilation at all.

Best wishes to your daughter OP x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

On my first my waters broke at 6am on the Thursday morning, what a way to wake you up when you're walking down the stairs to go the toilet... I didn't go into labour though at the induced me 24 hours later, I was 40 weeks.

On number 2 I was in labour before they broke my waters.

• Advertisement
Advertisement