Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beds in rented apartment, need help!!

Options
  • 27-04-2011 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

me and my partner are just after moving into an apt and the landlord is after sticking in beds that are smaller than regular size double beds. now my OH is 6ft 4" and is a broad enough. it is quite tight for the two of us to get a good nights sleep. we emailed him to see if he would put in a regular size bed and he said he wouldn't change the beds. we even offered to get our own bed if he would take out the old bed and he said we would have to put the other bed in the spare room:eek: WTF!!!

no idea what to do if there are any legal requirements for a certain standard in sizes or how we can get around this situation. we looked on citizen's info website but there was nothing on it.

if anyone has any suggestions it would be a huge help.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

mollybird wrote: »
    me and my partner are just after moving into an apt and the landlord is after sticking in beds that are smaller than regular size double beds. now my OH is 6ft 4" and is a broad enough. it is quite tight for the two of us to get a good nights sleep. we emailed him to see if he would put in a regular size bed and he said he wouldn't change the beds. we even offered to get our own bed if he would take out the old bed and he said we would have to put the other bed in the spare room:eek: WTF!!!

no idea what to do if there are any legal requirements for a certain standard in sizes or how we can get around this situation. we looked on citizen's info website but there was nothing on it.

thanks

Absolutely no laws. "Double" beds come in 4' and 4'6" sizes (singles are 3') It's fairly common to see 4' beds put in as doubles to disguise small rooms. Did you not notice the bed before you moved in?

Anyway, you moved in to the apartment furnished as seen, so the landlord is well within his rights. The only thing I can suggest it to buy a new bed that you can at least store the old mattress underneath?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thread split. Please do not hi-jack threads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

thanks

It seems like this is something you were aware of and should have looked into before signing the lease?? The beds you say the landlord stuck in? what size are they? you say smaller than regular but do you mean smaller than you are used to? are they new? if they have been put in for you then I can see why the landlord might be unhappy that you didnt mention before s/he got them as they may have gone to some expense, which might have been avoided if you discussed your requirements.
    Maybe get out a tape measure and measure up the bed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely no laws. "Double" beds come in 4' and 4'6" sizes (singles are 3')

I have never heard that, a standard double bed is always 4'6" in width in this part of the world.
    Bed size chart for UK/Ireland
    Small single
    2'6 by 6' (about 75 cm x 180 cm)
    Standard single
    3' x 6'3", also sold as 90 cm by 190 cm.
    Prince aka small double or three quarter
    4' by 6'3" (approximately 120 cm x 190 cm). Not widely available
    Standard double
    4'6" x 6'3", also sold as 135 cm by 190 cm.
    King
    5' x 6'6", also sold as 150 cm by 200 cm.
    Super King
    6' x 6'6", also sold as 180 cm by 200 cm.

However a standard double is also only 6'3" in length so a 6'4" man will have a lot of trouble fitting in a bed that size. Especially as if we lie out straight we lie "taller" than we are as we rarely keep our feet perpendicular to our legs.

OP, if the bed is smaller than a standard double, but the room was advertised as a double, rather than a small double, you might be able to keep at the landlord to get him to move the bed out as he advertised falsely and deliberately supplied a smaller than advertised bed. But if it's a standard double, which would still feel too small for a man of your partner's height then a solution could be to buy a king or even super king size bed with a tall suspension frame rather than a box frame. Put the mattress from your room onto the other bed, a double mattress bed will be fine in the guest room. Then either take apart the bedframe and store it under your new bed, or if the existing bed is a boxframe build the frame of your new bed around it. It'll look fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

iguana wrote: »
    I have never heard that, a standard double bed is always 4'6" in width in this part of the world.

I have to disagree with you there. My family has a furniture shop and there is almost as much demand for a 4' Double as a 4'6" - generally to do with small rooms. I've also stayed in hotels that had 4' double beds.

When we were looking at apartments and houses during the bubble, it was one of the first things I noted, the size of the beds in the "double" rooms in the show units.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

athtrasna wrote: »
    I have to disagree with you there. My family has a furniture shop and there is almost as much demand for a 4' Double as a 4'6" - generally to do with small rooms. I've also stayed in hotels that had 4' double beds.

When we were looking at apartments and houses during the bubble, it was one of the first things I noted, the size of the beds in the "double" rooms in the show units.

I would of always called a 4' a prince as would most people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I would interpret the Op as saying that the landlord is 'after' putting in these beds. That means that prior to this, and presumably when she viewed the apartment, there were normal size beds present. Therefore the landlord changed the conditions and should be made to revert back to the original agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jamesbrond

If you told him you will get a new 4'6 bed yourself, dispose of the old one and leave the new one when you go, he might be ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Kimia wrote: »
    I would interpret the Op as saying that the landlord is 'after' putting in these beds. That means that prior to this, and presumably when she viewed the apartment, there were normal size beds present. Therefore the landlord changed the conditions and should be made to revert back to the original agreement.

The OP would have to clarify that. That scenario seems a bit far fetched. Why who a LL do that? I assume the problem is the LL doesn't have anywhere else to store the smaller bed. It would be impractical to change the bed to suit every tenant wishes. Unless the LL has a reserve of different beds stored somewhere. Which isn't very likely.

jamesbrond wrote: »
    If you told him you will get a new 4'6 bed yourself, dispose of the old one and leave the new one when you go, he might be ok with it.

Maybe. But I'm sure any tenant isn't going want to pay for a new bed and leave it behind them, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

Just buy your own and bring it with you then when you leave, not ideal but probably the easiest

tippniall wrote: »
    Just buy your own and bring it with you then when you leave, not ideal but probably the easiest

...Ahem...
    ...we even offered to get our own bed if he would take out the old bed and he said we would have to put the other bed in the spare roomeek.gif WTF!!! ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭tippniall

yes..but he dosen't have to know what you do with the old bed...like somebody said just take it apart and stick it under the new one!

If you damage it, or it disappears the LL could take that out of the deposit. A reasonable LL would accept one bed for another if it was as good as the one it replaced, and wasn't out of place in the room. I think the problem here is that the LL doesn't want to out of pocket, and has nowhere to store a bed, or even move it perhaps.

Advertisement