Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help required

• 30-04-2011 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭

Hi

We live between Craughwell and Clarinbridge and we've been told by Eircom that there are no more slots available at the local exchange so they can't supply us bb. A local wimax company were out to check if they could get a signal but they had no clear line of sight to any mast.

I've been able to check signals from 3 and o2 and the signal while middling for mobile reception, using them for mobile broadband is not an option. Friends here have vodafone and meteor and it's the same.

I checked where the mobile masts are and I had positive hopes for o2 as we seem to be surrounded by 4 of them but no joy.

To the experts out there, do we have any alternatives?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

funnyname wrote: »
    Hi

We live between Craughwell and Clarinbridge and we've been told by Eircom that there are no more slots available at the local exchange so they can't supply us bb. A local wimax company were out to check if they could get a signal but they had no clear line of sight to any mast.

I've been able to check signals from 3 and o2 and the signal while middling for mobile reception, using them for mobile broadband is not an option. Friends here have vodafone and meteor and it's the same.

I checked where the mobile masts are and I had positive hopes for o2 as we seem to be surrounded by 4 of them but no joy.

To the experts out there, do we have any alternatives?

Thanks for reading.

What exchange are you on?

Is UPC availible in your area? (Probably not...)

Fixed wireless might be your best bet in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

OP, firstly can you tell me who this local "wimax" provider is and have you looked for any alternatives?

UPC broadband is most definitely not available in east Co. Galway.

You should get on to eircom and complain officially, bitch and talk to local media and politicans about it. Put them under pressure to install the extra equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

You could always try satellite broadband the equipment and dish might be a few 100 euros but if you really want broadband. It might be the way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

OP, firstly can you tell me who this local "wimax" provider is and have you looked for any alternatives?

UPC broadband is most definitely not available in east Co. Galway.

You should get on to eircom and complain officially, bitch and talk to local media and politicans about it. Put them under pressure to install the extra equipment.

Lighthouse networks came out during the week and couldn't get a signal.

Eircom's boards rep Tony did a lot of work for me and in the end there was nothing else they could do so I guess going down the political route to light a fire under their ass is the next option, but I guess this will mean it'll be a good while before they do anything.

You could always try satellite broadband the equipment and dish might be a few 100 euros but if you really want broadband. It might be the way to go

Anyone recommend this option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There are a lot of drawbacks with satellite internet, particularly its install and monthly costs, unless you use a very low amount of data. It will behave slowly for general browsing depending on the website. VoIP will be very difficult because of the response times, most online gaming will be impossible. Download speeds can be decent but this is undermined by very low download caps on many of the cheaper packages. If I was in your shoes, I would go for mobile internet from whoever offers the best 3G coverage in your area over going for satellite internet. Mobile internet at least offers the chance of buying an external aerial to use with some sort of 3G device if coverage is poor. Latency is usually better with 3G as are the usage limits but latency and speeds do vary widely on time of day and location etc.

Rural areas tend to have more consistent download speeds except when everyone in the area is stuck using mobile internet for want of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Just a quick note to let you know that just because Eircom say there are no slots on your local exchange that doesnt mean this is actually the case.

Have several stories of Eircom saying people in certain areas have absolutely no possibility of ever, ever, EVER getting internet for this very reason, only for a another provider to be able to hook up in minutes at same exchange.

I think eircom have a certain percentage of slots reserved to rent to other ISPs, so they SAY theres none left, when what they mean is theres none left to THEM.

Also, NEVER EVER believe ANYTHING Eircom says, and I do mean anything...

apologies for the caps, italics take to long :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

wolf99 wrote: »

+1 on this. Eircom once said they were a phone company. What kinda crazy-ass talk is that like? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

bonkers.ie broadband provider options available in your area.

Guide.

wolf99 wrote: »
    Just a quick note to let you know that just because Eircom say there are no slots on your local exchange that doesnt mean this is actually the case.

Have several stories of Eircom saying people in certain areas have absolutely no possibility of ever, ever, EVER getting internet for this very reason, only for a another provider to be able to hook up in minutes at same exchange.

I think eircom have a certain percentage of slots reserved to rent to other ISPs, so they SAY theres none left, when what they mean is theres none left to THEM.

apologies for the caps, italics take to long :)

Cheers, I'll give it a go

No joy with vodafone or homevision, will call a few more tomorrow.

• Advertisement

There must be availability on it as I made the mistake of checking again online and I happened to go through the business section and it came up with bb being available for my number.

However when I tried to continue with the order a pop up told me it was moving me to the residential section and of course once I got there it said pfo.

Advertisement